“Sylvia is gone” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Melbourne, Florida
“Sylvia is gone”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

We read the reviews for Sylvia's and made a reservation, expecting incredible island cooking. What we didn't expect was that Sylvia retired and her restaurant closed months ago, There had been no update in the TripAdvisor listings and Yelp is as usual old information. The lady who took the reservation did not indicate this fact, instead offering to stay and make us chicken, swordfish, conch and lobster dinners.

The kitchen is now part of JuJu's Sputnik Bar, run by a very nice lady Juliette doing the cooking. Our order for chicken, swordfish, conch and lobster dinners became four types of roti, which is an island-style burrito, not at all what we expected. The lobster and chicken roti were the best of the four. The conch roti was very chewy (not pounded out well) and the salt codfish (not the expected swordfish) was extremely salty; neither was edible. JuJu is a nice woman...food more like lunch burrito.. very disappointed..

We had broken the first rule of dining - when no one is dining, go elsewhere. Aqua Bistro had live music, was packed and had fresh snapper, wahoo and tuna.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank catticus_rex

“Authentic Caribbean - Family style food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

While on vacation in Coral Bay, St. John's Virgin Islands, my wife and I ate at Sylvia's Clean Plates after reading Trip Advisor reviews. The staff was friendly and inviting. My wife had the jerk grouper and I had the jerk shrimp and both were delicious, spicy, and authentic (not like Bahama Breeze). The sides were unique and tasty. We both had the peanut rice dish and it was full of taste and texture. I had the spinach and okra and it was excellent and well seasoned. My wife had the sweet potato stuffing it was good too. The atmosphere was what you would expect from a local island establishment. It was clean and very basic - no frills - and next door to the Donkey Diner ( haven't tried the Diner yet). My only complaint was the peanut side dish was not hot enough. If you want to try some real Caribbean food this is your place.

5 Thank David N
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

my teenagers said, 'this was the best meal i've had on st. john's so far!" excellent flavors, excellent service. you might miss it, b/c there is not a very big sign and the one main sign says, "sputnick" (which is the bar with the restaurant.)

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sara L
Raleigh
“Real Island food, prepared & served by great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

I can't say enough good things about Sylvia's, everything was great! They took us in (a large party) on short notice and were so accomodating.

I know a good bit about Jamaican / West Indian food because of my Husband's addiction to it and I have grown to crave it as well. Let me tell you, this young lady has skill and talent and it really shows in her cooking.

Miss Juju, who is very hospitable and proficient does a wonderful job managing the front of the house and makes great drinks from the Bar as well.

Give them a try for a authentic and delicious Island experience.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ShopN1
Shallotte, North Carolina
“Da Real Ting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We had a party of 10 and wanted some real island food, so glad we tried Sylvia's. I knew we were going to be running later in the evening from beach hopping / snorkeling all day with 4 kids so I called ahead. Miss Juju ( who runs the Bar and is Hostess at night) answered and was so nice and accommodating.

We were greeted at the door and shown the the specials of the day. Miss Juju quickly answered any questions and got our drink orders. Let me tell you, that nice Lady makes a mean Rum drink - she does not skimp. We tried a bit of everything between all of us, everything was cooked to order and it was ALL excellent. We had kids eating Spinach and Okra!

I had the chance to spend almost a month in Jamaica after Hurricane Gilbert as a teenager doing volunteer relief work and got to really know the food and heart of the people of that island. When I tasted the Jerk Grouper I ordered it almost brought a tear to my eye, so long since I had tasted those wonderful flavors put together with such skill and love. I told Sylvia she comes from a beautiful place and her pride and passion really show in her food.

I tasted several entrees inc. Brown Stew Pork and many sides. You honestly can't go wrong, even the slaw was the best I ever had. Please do yourself a favor if you like authentic Jamaican - West Indian food and order a little bit of every thing. When I get back to St. John, I will be leaving more clean plates at Sylvia's restaurant.

• Visited June 2012