“What a find!”

Conwy Water Gardens
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Rowen
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We visited here last week, and it is a gorgeous little place, which I would recommend to anyone. Some of the comments I have read are frankly baffling. How anyone can have anything detrimental to say about the nature trail, which is free, FREE, is beyond me. What do you get for free these days? Selling pancakes and aquatic equipment they may be, but no-one is there forcing you.

As for the Pancake House, well we loved it, what a lovely little place, in quite stunning surroundings. Granted, not "cheap" compared to a pre packed sandwich in the car, but as someone else said £60 for lunch for three, I can only assume you have very hearty appetites. I can snuffle away a decent meal and not shy of a good feed, and am certainly no waif, but I managed my Indonesian pancake and really didn't have much room for much else. £6 I think it was, plus £2 odd for a coffee; I'd say very reasonable. The meal itself was freshly made, and very tasty. The satay sauce was particularly nice, a real little kick to it.

As for the nature trail, a nice hour's walk with our 3 year old and baby. No, it wasn't brimming with wildlife as others have pointed out, but you're not in the Serengeti, you're in inland Wales. Our three year old thought it was brilliant. Did I mention it was free?

The only downside I could point out was the service was a little slow, but they had a sign up advertising for staff, so I expect this is a temporary issue, and certainly wouldn't put me off going again.

Certainly a place I will be visiting again, it is fantastic.

2  Thank Howard W
in 4 reviews
"walk around"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We visited today and hadn't checked Trip Advisor before going which I am glad about as it's good to make your own mind up sometimes! Can't believe anyone would have a bad word to say about any of it. Was a hot sunny day and pottered around - for free! I thought everywhere looked very well maintained and we bought a bag of duck food and fish food and it passed a few hours. We ate in The Dutch Pancake house which had indoor and outdoor seating. The pancakes were brill, nearly everyone there took a photo of their pancake as they looked that good. You get what you pay for and I don't mind paying when it's good quality which it was here. We had a breakfast pancake and wasn't sure what to expect but it was perfect. Between us we had both sweet and savoury and I felt they were all made with lots of care. The staff were all lovely. There were 3 of us and we had 2 breakfast pancakes (one large one medium), a large chocolate one and a Wimbledon (strawberries, cream and ice cream). We had 3 coffees and my son had 2 milkshakes (think they were only £1.75 each which is a lot less than some other places we have been). In total it was £33 which was great for what we had and we could have made it less had we not been so greedy!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The place is beautiful and well laid out. You can buy food to fed the poultry, and the Capybara's are amazing. A wide selection of fish and pond supplies, which would suit all tastes.
However the Dutch Pancake house is VERY overpriced. Lunch for three people was almost £60.
Far too expensive if you have to take a family group, you would be better off taking a picnic and eating at another location.

1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I live fairly local so go a few times a year. I agree that some of the comments here are unfair.
If I was paying to walk around the nature path then I could pick holes as it is a bit scruffy in places and it could do with more time spending on it. As it's free, I would say its a good afternoon out combined with everything else on site.
Here is my breakdown-
Fishing- don't do it myself but the people there seem to be happy with what they catch.
Nature trail- not perfect, expect to see the usual wild birds such as Chaffinch, Goldfinch etc along with flowers and "pond life". Don't be a tightwad- buy a £1 bag of feed from the shop for the geese, chickens and ducks. There is an unusual breed of pheasant in an enclosed area which was very pretty and a Capybara.
Otters- I can confirm the otters do indeed exist but obviously they pick their moments to come out so you have to lucky.
Pancake house- Nice and clean, food pretty good, average price.
Aquarium and pond shop- again, a bit scruffy in places but the two staff I spoke to are really knowledgeable about all things aquatic.
Overall, a good local attraction that deserves support.

1  Thank Chris1262