“Friendly Volunteers, free tea, baa-ing sheep- a lovely retreat experience”
Review of YHA Rowen

YHA Rowen
Wales
“Friendly Volunteers, free tea, baa-ing sheep- a lovely retreat experience”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The volunteers received me late at night with no advance booking and welcomed me and made me tea and gave me their spare key copy the next day. They were amazing and this was the best place I stayed in Wales. The hill to the hostel was a little steep and hard for people on foot but if you have a vehicle or strong leg muscles then I recommend it. it was beautiful and clean in a magical celtic location with friendly locals who even gave me rides to Conwy town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Our group of 12 had a superb 3 nights at the hostel (Great Escape) and the volunteer warden, Andrew, was wonderful, very flexible, and helpful. Outstanding location with great views, nice walks from the hostel and handy for Snowdon. Comfortable with an excellent kitchen. The hill, although very steep, did not prove to be a problem for the minibus.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

conwymanager, General Manager at YHA Rowen, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear margaretg
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with so much! We hope to see you soon again.
Please if you any photos of your stay at YHA Rowen, please sent/email/them to us we would love to see them!
Best regards
Eric
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights during a reunion. Don't forget that it's a hostel with bunk beds, but is a fantastic setting, pleasant rooms and two well equipped kitchens. The road can be challenging for both drivers and walkers!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear YrAthro
Thank you very much for your kind words. I can not argue with you about the road. It is a steep road to reach the top. It is well worth it! When you reached the cottage, breath taking view overlooking the Conwy river.. Please sent us, if possible, photos of the hostel and sceneries if you have any?
regards
Eric
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My daughter and I really enjoyed staying at the YHA in Rowen, north Wales. It is perched (and I mean perched) above an idyllic village, where we had a scrumptious meal at the local pub. The road to the hostel is very steep,but doable in our small car, so don't let tales of the steep climb put you off. There is an interesting walk along an ancient Roman thoroughfare directly behind the hostel, dotted with prehistoric sites which made it all the more interesting. The volunteer staff at the hostel were so friendly and accommodating as well. The room for two people we were originally given at the back of the hostel was rather small and hot, but mercifully we were able to move, so keep that in mind if you are booking a room to yourselves. At a cooler time of year, that would not be an issue, perhaps even an advantage!

Room Tip: There are two larger group rooms with lovely views, so do try to use those. There is an issue with t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed in the hostel as a group in Spring 2012. It was such a fabulous little hostel and we loved everything about it. Because we went out of season we got could block book the place, we picked the keys up from the hostel in Conwy and we barely saw another soul all weekend. It helped that it was perfect weather (we got sunburnt, and in March!)

The kitchen was spotlessly clean and well equipped and we cooked for 15 people no problem. The bedrooms are clean, bright and great with the plug and light on each bed. We spend the weekend lounging around in the garden and admiring the perfect view down the valley to Conwy. There is barely another house in sight. When it got cold at night we sat round the fire pit in the lower garden then lit the two indoor fires.

Only slight drawback is the bathrooms are downstairs through the dining room, which was ok for us, as we're all friends we could wander round in our PJs, but might be weird if you are staying in peak season.

And the hill up to it is one hell of a hill! Half of us got up it (those with bigger engines) but we had to leave a VW camper and a small car at the bottom of the hill and ferry things up and down! It all added to the adventure though.

I don't know what it would be like to stay here as a normal hostel guest but it worked perfectly for a group of friends booking out the whole place. In fact so good we have booked to go back next month!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Cheshire
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Hi all,

Previously entry was done under my wife's profile by mistake..

I have not actually stayed in the hostel but am a volunteer warden for the YHA and am hoping to warden here next year. I was in the area yesterday and went for a recce and have to say the location and the building are fantastic as is the village at the bottom of the hill.

The main reason for this post is a note of caution following on from the other post. That hill one has to negotiate is possibly the steepest tarmac stretch of road I have EVER encountered. It is very very steep, possibly a 1:1 gradient.

I could not drive to the Hostel! I ascended the hill from Rowen Village and stopped at the last farm on the left before the hostel itself to check I was not driving past the hostel. When I set off again, my car would not get round the next corner. The surface of the road was wet and my car would not get any traction meaning i rolled back to a passing point a little way back down the hill, left the car there and finished the journey on foot.

The village pub is amazing in fact everything is amazing including the road trip. I am absolutely certain that when I warden there, I will leave my car in the village and walk up the hill and my it is a hill.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Wirral
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Hi all,

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowen
YHA Conwy