“The best small privately owned hotel we have ever stayed at”

Tir y Coed Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rowen
Douglas, Isle of Man
“The best small privately owned hotel we have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This country house hotel owned by Ian and Alan is a most delightful place to stay for a few days. Full of antiques, tastefully decorated and very clean and comfortable, the attention provided by the owners is second to none.

The food could hardly be bettered, from as lavish a breakfast as one might wish to a truly excellent dinner menu with superbly cooked food by Ian. Considering the menu and the quality of the food, the cost is very reasonable.

Alan is the front-of-house man and the maitre-d and a most delightful chap, always happy to have a chat.

A well-stocked bar where drinks can be enjoyed either in a comfortable lounge or on an attractive terrace. The grounds are like an arboretum and worth a stroll around.

We cannot credit that any guests could fault it and would certainly return if we were ever again in North Wales.

Peter & Pauline

Room Tip: Ground floor suite
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

we had a lovely short break of three nights at tir y coed country house in sept '13. Alan and Ian were wonderfully welcoming hosts with outstanding customer service skills. our room, like the rest of the house, was very comfortable, beautifully decorated and clean. the breakfast and the dinner were of excellent quality. we would certainly like to stay there again, and highly recommend it to anybody thinking of staying in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KTR91
Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

A lovely retreat in the remote part of Wales, but our room had lots of cobwebs from the ceilings and light fittings. I found that a good flick with a towel sorted these out! Otherwise, the room, food and hosts were all faultless.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 52Jane
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I'll start this review by saying I didn't stay the night, but there isn't a separate option for the restaurant so I'll post here. You know things are going to be good quality when you roll up and the car park is full of brand new premium marque cars. That is, after you've found the car park after a roll down a little back road - you have to know it's here. Despite not having a reservation, the welcome was warm and a table offered in the lounge area next to the terrace.

The meals are cooked and presented simply, yet the flavours and ingredients are exquisite. Following a crab and king prawn stir fry to start, I had their perennial favourite main of Jaegertopf which includes wild boar, venison, pigeon and roast vegetables in a Jaeger sauce - this tasted amazing. Dessert was a spiced apple pie with ice cream, followed by a delicious coffee on the terrace above the gardens to watch the sun set.

Service was attentive, friendly and helpful throughout, despite being busy. It is such a rarity and pleasure to be looked after like this. What a special evening! If I'm going to be really picky for improvements, more could be made of the provenance of the food and some handmade truffles/ chocolates (even some Thorntons) would finish off the evening beautifully rather than the mass-produced option in a bit of foil. Thanks again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Helena G
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had a very relaxing night here, and enjoyed sitting out in the terrace overlooking the lovely gardens and view. The breakfast was exceptionally good, all freshly cooked and of excellent quality. Room and bathroom were beautifully clean but not as special as the rest of the experience. Hosts were lovely!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in late July 2013 on my way fro London to Manchester via Mid and north Wales. Tir y Coed is located in a valley off a B road on the edge of Snowdonia National Park just a few miles from Conwy and is approached along a very narrow windy road with high hedges on each side, some people more familiar with the road zip along quite quickly which can be a bit disconcerting, as there is very little room for two cars to pass in most parts.
I stayed in the Rowen Suite, which is very spacious and the two large windows overlook the garden of the hotel.When I arrived Ian checked me in and helped me upstairs with my (very heavy) suitcase.There was adequate storage; a wardrobe and a large chest of drawers so I was able to unpack what I thought I would need whilst I was there.I was tired after my journey so I decided to eat in the hotel, they offer a three course fixed price menu at 37 pounds, drinks extra, which offers substantial choices.
I had a pre dinner drink from the bar and then made my choices, It was as good a meal as I have had in a long time, accompanied by a very nice bottle of red wine from Western Australia recommended by Alan and which by hotel standards was reasonably priced at 36.95 pounds. Breakfast was equally good with juices, cereals, yoghurts and a menu choice of cooked breakfasts and toast made to order, the buttermilk pancakes are superb.
Rowen is about a 30 to 35 minute drive to Llanberis for the train ride up Mt Snowdon with Caernarfon and its castle another 15 to 20 minutes away.
I really enjoyed my stay at Tir y Coed and would recommend a stay there to anyone likely to be in the area.
My thanks to Alan and Ian for their hospitality, and I hope to see you again one day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Johnthepom0001
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We were on a two-week trip to Wales and England, and this was by far my most memorable experience. The surroundings are gorgeous. The patio with the blooming flowering plants was a place that was hard for me to leave. Alan and Ian, the owners, teated us as if we were family. You couldn't ask for better hosts. Our room was beautiful with a comfortable bed, crisp linens, and all bathrooms up-to-date with excellent plumbing.
Do not be fooled by the name. Coed to me means a place for college students to crash. In Wales the word "coed" means surrounded by trees. And the trees were magnificent, particularly the abundance of yew.
The breakfast was more-than-delicious. The food is local, fresh and they take great pride in presentation and taste.
This is without doubt one of my most memorable experiences--just being in this lovely, quiet place with a great feeling of coming home with enthusiastic welcome.

Room Tip: Spend some time on the patio. Spend time in the front room. Enjoy this magnificent country B&B...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Robin7333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowen
Waterloo Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
The Royal Victoria Hotel Snowdonia

Been to Tir y Coed Country House? Share your experiences!