“Relaxing time in Negombo”

Kumudu Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nainamadama
Sydney, Australia
“Relaxing time in Negombo”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I used this as my home base while traveling in Sri Lanka. It was arranged by my friends (who are Sri Lankan and live locally). I arrived at the hotel at around 2:30-3am, and was welcomed warmly by the staff there. The room had been prepared, and the hot water and airconditioning had been turned on prior to my arrival (Sri Lankan homes do not usually have hot water, so it's a luxury at a hotel). The room was huge! Two four-post queen beds with mosquito nets, a couple of lounges and coffee table, and a writing desk in an alcove, plus a couple of sideboards and a wardrobe furnished the room. The bathroom was large as well, and had a bidet (which I didn't use, but I guess it's good if you're used to that kind of thing!). The front porch had a couple of outdoor chairs and a table where you could enjoy the fresh air and the view of the surrounding gardens.

The hotel backs onto a lagoon, and over the hill is the beach. It's quiet here, and clean, whereas Negombo beach can sometimes be noisy and messy. The hotel restaurant is right on the shore of the lake, and is huge and open. They often have weddings, homecoming parties and other events here, which are interesting to see for a non-Sri-Lankan ;). The pool is right next to the restaurant and is a lovely place to spend the afternoon/evening after a hot day exploring Negombo.

The food served in the restaurant is delicious. While I was there they had a breakfast of local specialities such as string hoppers, fish curry and fresh fruit. The restaurant also does western-style cuisine very well, and you can order to your room - but I would suggest eating in the restaurant, the view and atmosphere is something you don't get every day. Try the special meals they have on offer - the restaurant manager will let you know when something is happening.

My room at Kumudu Valley Resort was my refuge and sanctuary during my stay in Sri Lanka. The staff were always happy to help, whether it was towels for the pool, a sunbed for the room, or advice on attractions in the area. I visited other places in Sri Lanka and so there were a couple of nights when I wasn't sleeping in the hotel - I wasn't charged for those nights, and they kept my main luggage safe for me until I returned, and placed my bags back in my room before I got back.

My last day in Sri Lanka I had a very late flight, and the manager gave me a late check out (8pm!) so that I could be comfortable up until my flight. They didn't charge me extra, and actually at the end of my stay I was surprised at the total charged - much cheaper than I was expecting!

I will definitely be staying here again next time I visit Sri Lanka!

Room Tip: You will need to give the hotel staff your key if you want them to make up your room while you are o...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Casbot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Czech first
UK
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was mine and hubby's 7th visit to Sri Lanka but our first to Kumudu Valley' previously we have stayed at the Club Hotel Dolphin but wanted a change.

Hotel: the hotel is approximately a half an hour drive from the airport

The hotel itself is quite small; there are 20 rooms, 10 superior and 10 standard

Staff were brilliant, so extremely friendly and polite.

During our stay, the hotel held a few functions for locals. There was music at these functions which, at times was extremely loud which may bother some people as you just couldn't escape from it.

The hotel doesn't have money changing facilities; however there is a bank about 10-15 minutes drive called Nations Trust which accept travellers cheques.

The beach is about a 5 minute walk from the beach, and about mile from Asda and Tesco souvenir shops. There are also a couple of restaurants near Asda/Tesco. There is the Canal Garden and one attached to Rico Shadow Guest House. We have not been to Canal Garden but have heard good reviews; we have used the restaurant by Rico Shadow on a previous visit. Being so dark and having no street lights will make it difficult to get there on an evening. However, we know a local taxi driver, Patrick, who I would recommend if wanting to go out and about.

Meals:

There was a good choice of meals. Dinners consisted of Italian, Asian etc but not much vegetarian choice. Breakfast choice included omelettes, curry as well as toast which came with jam, butter. Fruit juice, tea and coffee available. There was also choices of various soups, sandwiches which were served with chips.

Service of meals were very slow, tended to be about ½ hour or so from ordering to getting the meals

Facilities: we had a deluxe cabana:
fridge
drawer units
ceiling fan
air conditioning
wifi
TV [which we never used so unsure of what channels on offer]

there is also a swimming pool and room service

the edge of the bathroom, over the shower, is open, although there is netting which is supposed to stop mosquitoes coming in

Our stay was extremely quiet and for the most part me and hubby were the only guests there. But would certainly won't hesitate about staying here again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dolphin028
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This rather small hotel is not comparable to some of those fancy resorts for package tourists you may find in Sri Lanka. It is located on the shore of a stunning and calm salt water lagoon. They have a nice little pool but the lagoon is also suitable for a swim (BTW, much safer probably than the beach because no waves). The natural beach is located at 5 minutes walking distance. The way leads through a real Sri Lankan fisherman village with cricket playing children everywhere. Rooms a spacious but simple, air conditioned and clean. Staff tries hard to be helpful but is probably not the fastest in the world. To get our food in time we tricked them by calling 30 minutes before we went to the restaurant to place our order. Food was good and the spacious open air restaurant at the shore made every dinner a small event. Hotel guests are typically wealthier Sri Lankans. Due to the relative proximity of the spot to Colombo Airport (20-30 km) many western tourists stop for one night or two before flying home or out. A waterski school, managed by a German is located on the territory of the hotel. If you don't like water-ski the school rents out Kayaks or arranges for motor boat tours in the surrounding lagoons. The hotel management also arranged guided tours for us to various spots around the country.
We stayed there for 10 days with 2 small children and this was one of the most relaxing vacation we ever had. Not a spot for people who are looking for party and western style animation, but if you want to relax and discover the real Sri Lanka this hotel should be on your list. We also made a couple of excursions with local TukTuk taxis to Negombo village, a lively little party and tourist spot with plenty of options for shopping, nightlife and dinner.

Room Tip: they have two room sizes, just ask for the bigger ones since they are very close to each other in pr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Old_Moscow
Moscow
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Hotel is situated in green calm place in the bank of sweet-water lagoon.
The sea is in 300 m.
Rooms are clean and comfortable.
Personnel is very hospitable, complaisant, but very slow!
Food is good, but the waiters are very unhurried. The dinner may take 2 hours!
But in general the hotel is very nice

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Anastasia B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nainamadama
Ranweli Holiday Village
#2 of 5 in Marawila
Villa Sunbird
Villa Sunbird
#1 of 2 in Nainamadama

Been to Kumudu Valley Resort? Share your experiences!