“An oasis in Surrey”
Review of Stovell's

Stovell's
Reserve with OpenTable
Stovell's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Chobham
Price range: US$49 - US$61
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We would be forgiven for thinking that Surrey with is wealth of financiers and top business professionals would have a plethora of fine dining places. In reality, this desert has few oases that stand out, so the most reliable course for gourmets is to dine in London. There is one oasis though in the village of Chobham. Just over two years ago, the Cloche Hat, a local restaurant that had come to the end of its life, was acquired by a young couple by the name of Fernando and Kristy Stovell. In the ensuing period the restaurant - Stovells - has gained a reputation that has earned plaudits from the national and local press. It offers a modern European cuisine (whatever that really is) supported by the usual flummery of' top quality locally sourced sustainable materials'.
We have made four lunch time visits since the restaurant opened in 2012. The first lunch shortly after the place opened was with our younger relatives, was indeed a joyous occasion. Everything was as it should be – perfect! The opening salvo was the Pata Negra hamon set in its nickel plated carving cradle. If one has never eaten a well-cured Spanish ham then this is the place to try it. Our somewhat fastidious concern was that it was left uncovered on all the subsequent occasions that we saw it. The a la carte menu is broad enough to satisfy most tastes with excellent scallops as a favourite starter. Without doubt the best main dish was the cote de boeuf char grilled over hard wood. The last time I went with two business colleagues (June2014), all three of us chose the cote de boeuf that is normally ordered as two servings. This posed a challenge for the waiter, and no doubt the chef and we suspect that what was served was a cote for two persons cleverly sliced for three people. What were we charged? I confess that I have no recollection. The most disappointing dish so far was the roasted guinea fowl surrounded by tiny raw root vegetables.
Other slight aspects of concern were the absence of a knowledge waiter or maitre d’hôtel to advise us on the wine list and the cost of a bottle pre-prandial house champagne at the bar - £64 seemed excessive even though it was by Ruinart. I would have thought that the proprietors could have found an artisan champagne of good quality at a more attractive cost (as is common place in good French restaurants.
All in all, a promising start that deserves success and perhaps a Michelin star if more interest is taken to seek out client comments.

4  Thank David H H

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have been to this restaurant to celebrate my husband's birthday. From first greeting until leaving the place, you will get consistent 5 star service. You ll get complementary bread selection and little dips before your starters. The smoked butter served with the bread is out of this world. I found £38 for a three course menu, excellent value for money considering the quality of food served here. Wine menu is extensive. I would recommend this restaurant for everybody who are looking a special experience.

3  Thank Senay Y
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Frankly, it is a privilege to dine here. Their taster menu is a work of amazing design and culinary craftsmanship and thoroughly enjoyable.

1  Thank Philip B
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I went to this restaurant 12 years ago when it was the cloche hat and 12 years later brought my wife who was my girlfriend the last time we visited for anniversary dinner. Cant fault anything at all, service food and atmosphere were great. The menu is really well thought out and uses great quality ingredients in a contemporary way. A special mention needs to go to our waiter who's name I didn't catch but was from Portugal (management take note) who couldn't have not been more helpful with every aspect of our meal. It certainly won't be 12 years till we return again!

2  Thank Roger645
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband took myself and ten of our family to dinner last Saturday to celebrate my big birthday!
We could not fault the service or the food. We had the upstairs dining room with our own private sitting room and even our own loo!! The food was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble amd when our family started ordering unusual cocktails they knew exactly what they were!
A truely wonderful evening !

2  Thank Sarah L