“Superb Accomodation and Facilities”
Review of The Victorian Barn

The Victorian Barn
Ranked #1 of 2 Woolland B&B and Inns
London
“Superb Accomodation and Facilities”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed here with my young son (1 and 4 months) just recently. Beforfe we set off the owners contacted us and offered us a free upgrade from the Byre to the Grannery.

On arrival we were welcomed with spacious and clean accomodation. The rooms were large and we found the kitchen to have all you would expect in terms of facilities and utensils from a self catering establishment.

The location is beautiful and you can set off in all directions to attractions. The onsite gym and pool were appreciated, especially as the weather looked like it may be unkind, although this did not turn out to be the case.

We found the owners to be welcoming and helpful.

I loved the fishing lakes, (free to guests) where i caught several sizaable carp and was fortunate to also catch a very large carp in the silverfish lake, possibly 12 lb +. i think it was maybe transfered there via the closeby specimin lake. In my excitement i forgot to return it to its correct home!

We went to the Gaggle of Geese for a superb evening meal and there are many other good pubs close by.

My only recommendation would be to put a black out blind in the bedroom skylight as its no fun having the sun beeming through your window at 6 a.m when your on holiday.

Apart from that tiny oan, which is easily overcome, it was a faultless stay.

We will be back.

VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Victorian Barn and I am pleased to enjoyed your stay with us.

I will take on board your comments about applying a blackout blind to the velux windows in the triple bedroom, there is a blind on both windows but if the sun is exceptionally bright then I could understand you would not like to be woken too early when on holiday.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Penny

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Essex
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Victorian Barn in mid April, with our 11month old daughter. The main attraction for staying at the Barn were the excellent onsite facilities, the swimming pool was heated and changing facilities accessible for a family. The facilites are well thought through and are excellently maintained. The barn is set in a beautiful countryside location and has breathtaking views of the landscape. We were impressed with the accomodation it has recently been refurbished to a very high standard. The owner, Penny was extremely welcoming and helpful, overall we would highly recommend staying at the Victorian Barn.

VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Victorian Barn's accommodation and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Penny (owner)
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed at the Victorian Barn in early April for 5 nights. After spending hours looking on the internet for a holiday place in Dorset that was rural and with a swimming pool ( the second point being made by my 6 yr old!) we found The Victorian Barns website. We were very impressed with this and after a few emails to Penny we had made our booking.
We were not disappointed! The location is simply stunning, the barns have been sympathetically restored to a very high standard and the facilities (swimming pool, sauna, play area) are all well maintained and to a good standard. My 6 year old loved the play area!! It was so peaceful (until we arrived anyway!) which is just what we wanted.
The barns are furnished nicely with everything you need for your time there. The beds were comfy and the cot supplied for my baby was just right, being a proper cot and not a travel one making it like home from home for him.
The shower was fab and gave a real blast to wake you in the mornings!
I cannot understand why a comment was made regarding kitchen equipment not being sufficient, as I found several saucepans, frying pan, trays, dishes and other utensils more then adequat to produce some lovely dinners. Some people expect things to be just like they have at home, but I guess you can't please everyone!
We were advised on booking that a wedding was taking place on one of the days during our stay, this did not cause any problems for us the only thing I would say is we could hear the music from our barn but as the function room was in the same building this could not have been avoided.
Penny and family you are doing a great job and have had great vision to turn the Victorian Barns into what they are today. With the additon of the 2 new cottages and the exisiting holiday lets it is the perfect holiday accommodation. I would recommend to anyone to make a visit

Room Tip: We stayed in the Byre which had a double and twin room, worked out perfectly for 2 adults and 2 chil...
VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thank you for your comments and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in early April.

Hope to see you again in the future.

From all at The Victorian Barn .
Publier
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This was a lovely venue for Cheryl and Stewarts wedding, and the organisation for the ceremony was very good. The food supplied and organised by Andrew James was top class and appeared to be enjoyed by everyone.

However, there are one or two points we would like to comment on:-
1. Communication poor, before the event, with several guests getting different/conflicting information.
2. Accomodation basic (for price).
3. Full payment a month in advance (a bit much for 1 night, considering we were part of a wedding party). Understandable for a long booking.
4. Hair in swimming pool (not nice). But very good that you're heating it with renewable (green) energy.
5. Coffee, tea, & sugar in the kitchens. (Thanks! ) - But no milk !? - (you could have supplied a few UHT capsules,it wouldn,t have broke the bank, and little touches like that make all the difference).
6. Shower head in our room not functioning correctly (water squirting out around the seal). This shows that you are relying on guests to complain, rather than check that everything is in good working order before guests arrive.

If this is 4 star accomodation then Travel Lodge deserve 6 !

3 Thank DustyM74
VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Victorian Barn for your recent stay over during the wedding celebrations of Cheryl and Stewart.

I am pleased you enjoyed the wedding day and our organisations skills for the smooth transition from civil wedding to wedding breakfast. I am also pleased you enjoyed the food supplied by one of our recommended caterers.

I would like to respond to your observations:
We pride ourselves on our approach to guests staying for weddings, holidays, parties and I cannot understand how you found the communication poor. Please enlighten.
We are four star graded and we offer first class accommodation, if you did find a problem with the accommodation we would have appreciated it if you could have informed us on leaving.
We ask for payment before hand so that we can ensure we are not tied up with taking payments on the day as it is the bride and grooms special day.
Fresh milk was in the refrigerator along with the orange juice. This is always supplied with complimentary tea, coffe and biscuits.
We do check our showers when we clean after every booking. If you would like to let me know which property you were staying in then I will again check.
The swimming pool is cleaned and kept to a very high standard and if you found hair then I apologise but it could only have happened that day as we attend to it everyday.

I look forward to hearing from you with the points raised above.

Penny
Iver, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed at the Victorian Barn with 45 members of family and friends on 19th and 20th December as our son was getting married there on the 20th. On the first night I catered for 45 people in Helena House and the only utensils I took with me from home were two ladles and two very very large cooking pots - apart from that all other utensils that I needed were to be found in the kitchen. All our guests brought the crockery, glasses and cutlery from their accommodation and as you can imagine we couldn't remember who had brought what - on departure we explained to Penny that some houses might have bits missing but it could all be found in Helena House's kitchen ... it was no problem at all. Everyone who stayed in the 9 houses we rented thoroughly enjoyed their stay - in fact some of our friends think we should return in the future for another couple of days. Penny, her husband and daughter plus the other staff were very obliging and made our son's wedding such an enjoyable occasion. We found their little jack russell dog to be quite a character and all the children staying thought it fun to play with him. Would definitely recommend The Victorian Barn - in fact our other son and his girlfriend loved it so much that they are considering getting married there in the next few years ...... it is certainly a very special place.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elaine H
VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Victorian Barn and also for your very kind comments. It was our pleasure to be able to make your son and daughter-in-law's wedding day a day to remember. The fact that you were all able to stay the night before and have a meal and time together before the big day I am sure was a bonus. The evening fireworks were amazing even in the rain. We would welcome your family again in the future and when your other son and girlfriend are ready to fix the date please give us a ring and we will be only too pleased to help. We at The Victorian Barn wish you all the very best and look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Reading the reviews I can't believe we stayed at the same place. The location, although remote, is beautiful and the properties are clean with nice modern bathrooms however the fixtures on the whole were cheap and I can't believe that anyone who stayed previously tried to cook anything using the utensils provided in the kitchens. There were building works on site that we weren't told about and this became a bit of a theme as they also failed to mention that they charge £5 to use the washing machine plus it is kept under lock and key. This might not have been such a problem if reception had been manned when stated. Although Penny was friendly we found her husband to be incredibly rude when asked for anything at all. We also thought we booked a week however they failed to explicitly point out that over christmas you don't get a week but the 'christmas period'. Ended our family get-together on a very sad note a day early. Also given that the properties don't allow dogs the owners have dogs that wander about the property and there was quite a bit of dog mess. We have stayed in a lot of self-catering properties as our family live very far apart and we found the Victorian Barn to be very wanting.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank MrsSmith83
VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our lovely property. I am some what bemused at your comments. I am a four star graded establishment and you are the first and only guests that have ever commented on the equipment in the kitchen.
I think the reason for your complaint is the fact that you booked from 23 December until 29 December but for some reason thought you were booked until 30 December. You were previously offered a week from 22 December until 29 December but declined. We also offered alternative accommodation on the night of 29 December but you again declined.
Although we have two properties under renovation this certainly did not affect your stay as the whole project closed down for two weeks and these properties were on the opposite side of the barn and accommodation where you were staying. I take offence to the fact that you said my husband was rude as he gave you the key to the washroom on every occasion and showed you in when you arrived and was always courteous. You may remember that we did not charge you for any of the washing you did during your stay, which was every day and the reason for locking the door after your use was so that we could offer this facility to other guests.
The reception times are posted at the reception and there was someone there at those times with the one exception on Christmas day.

When you left at 1pm on 29 December I instructed the cleaners to clean the property and it was an absolute disgrace. I do not usually comment on the state of properties left after a holiday but it took 5 cleaners two hours and the kitchen was a filthy.
Once again I am sorry you felt you did not enjoy your stay but we at the Victorian Barn feel we went out of our way to make your Christmas wonderful and all the requests by email before your stay were accommodated.
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We stayed for a short week-end break in The Byre during November 2011. The Byre was warm and cosy and had everything we required. When we arrived the stars at night were fantastic and we couldn't stop gazing at them. The children loved the fishing, and spending time in the pool, hot tub and sauna and would like to have stayed longer. We checked out in the morning but were able to use all of the facilities for the rest of the day - bargain! Hope to return in the warmer weather when we can sit by the lakes and catch the fish. Not much luck this time but I have a lovely picture of a just under 20lb common carp caught by the fishers next to us on the middle lake on Sunday, 20th November. Thank you Penny for all your kindnesses and for making ours a very lovely stay. Looking forward to seeing you again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
VICBARN, Owner at The Victorian Barn, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Victorian Barn it was a pleasure to see how much your family enjoyed their stay even though it was very short. I am also pleased you were able to take advantage of the facilities including the lakes and hope to see you in the future for perhaps a longer stay when you can have another try at the lakes. There are certainly some very big fish in the specimen lake and also lots of smaller fish in the other lakes so they are breeding. Hope to see you soon Kind regards Penny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolland
The Langton Arms
#2 of 3 in Winterborne Zelston
Hilltop Barn
Hilltop Barn
#1 of 3 in Winterborne Zelston

Been to The Victorian Barn? Share your experiences!