“The Talbot”

The Talbot
East Sussex
“The Talbot”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My family and I have just stayed at The Talbot overnight after booking it last minute on the internet. Martin and Jane were wonderful hosts who made us feel very welcome instantly and were thoughtful and attentive hosts.The family room with ensuite bathroom was tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean with all the required facilities and very good value for money.
The great surprise to us was the food, we had dinner in the bar in the evening and breakfast and both were to a high standard and they were happy to refill my coffee pot as many times as I needed and I drink alot of coffee!
We would highly reccomend a visit to The Talbot you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brighton
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Excellent stay that involved helping us solve a Xmas dilemma over local accommodation and a chance to sample the fine Badger ales on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Caxtonian
Kent
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have stayed at the Talbot three times because of work commitments in the area, and I heartily recommend it. The rooms are very comfortable, the bathrooms excellent with nice toiletries and the breakfast is really good - plenty of fresh fruit, home-made bread. The evening meals are also good, with pleasant service. It's not cheap, but both accommodation and food are, in my view, good value.

One small gripe - last time I visited there was no hair dryer in my bedroom (luckily I'd brought my own). I'm sure the owners would have provided one if I'd asked.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank valeranne
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We spent 2 nights in The Talbot Earlier this month as we were attending a function close by .
There was a pleasant welcome, but our room was very small,more suited as a single, only one bedside locker and little room to move around. Bathroom on the other hand was quite large.
The bed was poor other furnishings were adequate. Our biggest gripe was that during our stay the fire alarm went off 5 times[ though the Landlady claimed 4,but was 5 confirmed by another resident ] And this took place on our first night at about 7/7.30am and occurred 2 further times between this and 8.45am. Our hosts did not see fit to say they were sorry just mentioned it as a passing nod! the following morning after a late night at our function as were 6 other Guests, our fire alarm went off at 5.15/5.30am, did not even get a nod this time !!
When paying I suggested after 2 nights I felt some allowance should be made and only with persistence and a cold scowl I got an 8% discount on a£270 bill!! Even at that the rate was £5/10 more than was quoted .
Now while accommodation was disappointing we had dinner there one evening and found it very relaxed and the food was very good nicely presented and freshly cooked.Breakfasts very good also.
So eat there do not stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms tend to get noise avoid rooms at back we heard2 other guests complaining about noise of motors...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tuball
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Had a lovely sinlge night at the Talbot Inn prior to a wedding in the area. Rooms were lovely, 2 owners very friendly and accommodating - let us check out late as we needed get ready for a wedding.

Would recommend.

Chris
Doncaster

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Smarty76
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Bed & Breakfast pub providing good size clean bedrooms with very comfortable bed
Very good " Bistro pub " food with reasonable selection of beers and wines
Good breakfast, but could do with a breakfast menu Enjoyed our stay

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 9 February 2010

The Talbot is best described as a country pub with rooms rather than a hotel, but don’t be put off staying there because of that, my wife and I went there for a two night weekend break and will be certainly returning.
The proprietors and staff are very friendly and welcoming, the restaurant serves really good quality food, the wine list is fairly small but represents outstanding value, they have an excellent Sauvignon Blanc.
We have nothing bad to say about the Talbot, our only advice is that if you are planning to dine there on a Saturday night it might be wise to book a table in advance

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Fontmell Magna
The Old Forge
The Old Forge
#1 of 1 in Compton Abbas

Been to The Talbot? Share your experiences!