“Chips on the floor, furniture out of the ark!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of True Lovers Knot

True Lovers Knot
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Chips on the floor, furniture out of the ark!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We arrived mid afternoon and were immediately asked to settle the bill, before we had even been shown to our room!! We refused and the waitress/barmaid seemed a bit taken aback. She asked why we didn't want to settle the bill immediately, and I said that I would prefer to see the room first, and that I had never been asked to pay the bill on arrival. She then asked if we would require breakfast. We said we had booked the room on a B & B basis, so, yes we would. However, she then disclosed that breakfast is not served until 8.30. This was too late for us as we wanted to be out by then. We asked if it was possible to have breakfast at 8.00 and she said "probably not". We asked if our room rate could be adjusted if we were not getting any food, but after checking with the manager on an internal phone, she said that because we had booked at the B & B rate, it could not be changed. We then asked to see the manager, who refused to come to see us. By now we were beginning to regret making the booking, especially as we had been asked to pay 50% up front. We were shown to our room. It was clean enough and the bed was comfy, but the furniture was out of the ark, making the room seem very gloomy and unappealing. Definitely no frills. There were tea and coffee making facilities, but no biscuits. Cheap toiletries in the bathroom finished off the "no expense spent" impression. Because of the welcome we had received and the refusal of the manager to address our problem with breakfast, we resolved not to have any food or drinks in the bar. This probably cost them over £200. We managed to find a gorgeous place about 10 minutes drive away - The Langton Arms. We went down for breakfast (as we had paid for it anyway) the next morning to be met by a young man in jeans and T shirt. No "good morning" was forthcoming, just "Do you want tea or coffee?" He then asked what we wanted for breakfast. As there were no menus on the tables, I asked what there was and he said "Well, the usual - eggs, bacon etc") I said I would just have cereal and toast, while my husband had bacon and egg, which he said was OK. There was no choice of juice - only orange. Chips on the floor from the previous evening and no sugar on the table. The following morning, there were 2 other guests in the dining room. As they were both eating cereal, there wasn’t enough for me because the cereal was in such small containers. I had to mix 2 sorts together. I could go on as the list of faults is endless. They need some training in hospitality. We will never go back to such a place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michelle A
chloe h, General Manager at True Lovers Knot, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Thank you for your review. I would like to respond as follows: It is our policy to take a minimum of a 50% deposit payment at the time of booking with the balance being settled on arrival. Our staff are trained to ask for the balance when a customer arrives and to ask if they will be wanting breakfast. It is not a problem if you would rather settle at a later point but I can only apologise if the member of staff who served you did not give this impression. I was on the telephone when she called on the internal line to ask about your breakfast being served earlier which is the reason I was not able to come and speak with you at the time. I did ask the barmaid to say to you that I would speak to you when you returned later that day to explain our reasons for the b&b rate of that particular week being priced the way it was being the steam fair week. It certainly was not a case of 'refusing' to come and speak with you at the time. Again I can only apologise if the situation was not handled very well at this time, but we always try to resolve any issues at the time and to make all our customers happy and I am only sorry if you feel this was not the case. If you were not aware before you arrived that breakfast is served between 8.30am and 9.30am then I can only apologise. It is stated clearly on our website and the information would have been given to you at the time of booking if you called on the phone. When you had breakfast in the morning you said nothing of your complaint about the breakfast time and as we had a good conversation about the short distance to the steam fair I took it that you were now okay with the breakfast service times.

With regard to our bedroom furniture being 'out of the ark'; all our rooms were built six years ago and the furniture was new at this time. It is made to look antique. We get very few negative comments about our rooms, so I can only apologise if you feel the rooms were not nice. Most comments we get are the rooms are "lovely" and "very nice". We use good quality toiletries and linen, we have mineral water and tea/coffee making facilities available. Yes we don't offer biscuits but we charge £65 per room and I feel the rooms are of a very good standard for this price.

We have never had breakfast menus as we are only a small b&b and have never felt it necessary to provide a set menu for breakfast. We are able to cook whatever you want, within reason!, so feel this way offers more flexibility for our customers. This complaint has never been brought to our attention before. With regard to one of the cereals running out it is a shame you did not bring this to my attention at the time as I would have been able to re-fill the container for you. We do only serve orange juice but following your comment will now look to offering more than one juice at breakfast. Having no sugar on the table is an oversight and I can only apologise. We do lay breakfast tables with sugar but unfortunately mistakes do happen and I was able to provide sugar as soon as it was asked for.

Thank you again for your comments. We do appreciate all feedback, Your comments have been discussed with the necessary staff and have been used to further their training and standard of service. We strive at all times to give the best possible customer service and can only apologise if at times this does not happen.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in mid August 2013 at The True Lovers Knot with my husband and young puppy. We were allowed to take our dog into the restaurant during breakfast and evening dinner time. Breakfast was served quickly and was well cooked. They even provided green tea for my husband. There was a good selection of meals on the evening dinner menu and a specials board. The meals were well presented and, unless you have a huge appetitie, I would suggest you order a small portion. The fish (and chips) we had was enormous. We could only eat half of the 12 inches of fish. We slept in the four poster bedroom which was lovely. There is some amazing wooden furntiure in that room and a lovley bathroom. There are loads of sepia photographs on the walls throughout the inn showing the local houses and area.. The staff were helpful and the owners were extremely friendly and mixed with the locals who frequented the hostelry ( a sure sign that the inn is good if the locals use it!!!). The inn is a good base if you are visiting the area to sightsee. Three bikers arrived at the inn while we were signing in and they were given a free coffee and there is a special bikers evening on Thursdays. The only drawback for us was that it is a very small village which consists of the inn and some beautiful thatched houses based around a small crossroad. But overall, well worth a visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend of camping with the in laws. There seemed to be a distinct lack of organisation, too few electric points for the number of pitches, and no one really coordinating anything. The one shower and one toilet inadequate for the amount of pitches, not to mention that they couldn't be locked and not very clean at all!!!

One good note was that the food was quite good.

• Stayed August 2013
Saffron Walden
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed in the four poster bedroom for one night. Comfortable bed, good facilities - tea/ coffee etc. large bathroom. Only down side was the shower which lacked much power. Had wifi but a little slow at times. Didn't eat breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Went for Sunday lunch after a long dog walk, Very attentive staff who even asked if we would like a bowl of water for the dog when ordering the drinks.
The carvery was very good with a choice of meat and a "help yourself"system for a varied, interesting and tasty choice of vegetables, Roasties were cooked well, and nothing looked as though it had been dragged out of a freezer an hour before, unlike so many places. Overall a place where we will definitely return and recommend.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank russage
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Had a fab stay with great family meal good service and great food wish had more time to stay longer and will be back thanks to all staff for a great stay
We will be back I don't understand previous statements re animal smells as we never got this . ?

• Stayed August 2012
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

We booked in here for valentines day, we got number from the website and all seemed ok, looked at the menu on the site.

When we arrived they had beautiful roses on the tables, nicely candle lit, but we were given a set menu, I am not a fan of sea food but unfortunately this was a far majority of the menu, I asked if they were doing their normal menu to be met by a very abrupt "not all the table", anyway I ordered a simple burger and nothing else was said, felt slightly uncomfortable but the food was fine.

Waiter was very very busy and to be honest seemed be struggling on his own but he later said he was short staffed so could only feel sorry for him, deserts were gorgeous!

Overall, pleasant meal but unfortunately felt as though the menu could have been broader or atleast made more aware prior to booking that it was a set menu.

• Stayed February 2013
#2 of 163 in Weymouth
The Willows
The Willows
#1 of 2 in Shillingstone

Been to True Lovers Knot? Share your experiences!