“Golf is king”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Perth, Australia
“Golf is king”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Spent 5 days there and played the course 4 times. Plenty of water to get you in to trouble. Hotel room was very clean and maintained did not look shabby and had a fantastic view to coast. Free WiFi which is very progressive. 15 minutes by taxi to Gold Coast. Enjoyed the stay and would go back. Fab brekky.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking to the coast.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear PeterL

Thanks for your review and glad to read how much you enjoyed the golf course, your room, the view and the breakfast.We are all very excited about the PGA Championship being played here in November and a lot of work is already underway for that

RACV Queensland Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My husband and I were here for a 3 day conference and we stayed for another 3 after that. The hotel always had staff at the front reception that were friendly. The concierge was helpful too. The staff at Kalinda were very proactive in taking away dirty plates despite the fact that there were so many of us!

I was disappointed, however, with the cleanliness of the sheets. We had put the 'change linen' sign outside the door for a few days and realised on the 4th night of our stay that the chocolate stain on the sheets so we asked for the sheets to be changed. when we cane back from town, the stain were still there and there was chocolate on the floor when we hadn't had chocolate. We spoke to a gentleman at the lobby reception who said that he would look into it straightaway. A woman in her 40s came to the room promptly but was EXTREMELY RUDE and condescending in her tone. She asked my husband FIVE times "did you put the sign outside the door for the sheets to be change?" "Are you sure?" "It's the long sign, not the 'make up room' sign". She confirmed tgat the sheets had not bern changed that day.I don't mind being asked but her tone was disrespectful and she was rude. My husband then pointed where the chocolate was and she said that 9 of the vacuum cleaners aren't working. I don't think that is a good enough excuse for a 5 star resort (!!!) to say. My husband said that we don't know how it got there and she replied sarcastically "I don't think the girls would be eating chocolate unless it is a phantom chocolate eater" and that she can bring the vacuum cleaner up if we wanted but we said not to bother. She also stood on the brown decorative bed pillows as she tidied! I don't want to imagine the REAL STATE OF HYGIENE in this hotel room. Just because we don't see it doesn't mean that its clean. A colleague also found short black hair on her sheets "like a gorilla slept on her bed". She's blonde. It makes me wonder if the sheets are changed between visitors at all!

And please if the resort can make a note let other visitors know if the pool and spa is out of bounds on nights that a conference is held so that we don't go, expecting to be able to use it since we have paid to do so, only to be told as we reach the spa.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Angela W
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear AngelaW

Thank you for your review and I do appreciate you bringing to my attention a service issue encountered with housekeeping. I have met with our Executive Housekeeer and she has in turn met with the staff member concerned to implement internal disciplinary procedures. I do apologise for this experience as it is definitely not part of the service ethic we pride ourselves on here at RACV Royal Pines. As you will see from previous reviews, the standard of room cleanliness is also consistently high so this is not the usual experience If you were to be returning to the Gold Coast i would like to personally look after your reservation and ensure that your experience is positive in all areas

I do appreciate your comments on the staff at Kalinda restaurant and have shared the comments with them.
Thanks again and please, do contact me directly if you chooses to come back - on john_morris@racv.com.au

Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My Husband and I stayed at the Royal Pines for 3 nights in July 2013 for a conference I was attending. This is the 3rd time we have stayed in this hotel and we are yet to be dissapointed with the accomodation. The rooms are incredibly spacious and always well cleaned (we had a Pool View King Room). The beds are extremely comfortable.

The conference facilities are excellent. The conference rooms are very large and all the amenities are great.

The only negatives for this hotel is that the restaurants are grossly overpriced. We did not enjoy our overpriced meal at the Italian Restaurant one night. The buffett breakfast does have a great selection of food but again, is quite expensive and I don't believe it is worth it.

We also experienced some attitude with the check in staff on this occasion and the previous occasion we have stayed at this hotel, which has been reported to management on both occasions.

Overall, a pleasant stay in great accomodation.

Room Tip: While a room on the higher floors does entail a better view, the wait for the lifts can take ages!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Brissiegal123

Thanks for your review and advice that the rooms and their cleanliness were excellent.
I note your comments about the restaurant pricing. We undertake regular competitor comparisons of our menu pricing and in our last comparion found that our pricing was lower than most of our competitor hotels and resorts. I have asked our Food and Beverage manager to review the competitors again to check that we are still well positioned.

One area I can reassure you is in regard to our lifts. All four of the main guest lifts have just been completely rebuilt and refurbished. This has necessitated taking one lift out at a time for work on it, and, duiring periods of high guest movement (ie when a large conference breaks or is meeting for dinner) there have been some delays. This is now a thing of the past as our new lifts are quieter and faster ( and look very beautiful!)
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back for a fourth visit in the future
Regards
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. I got a room on the 20th floor which is 1 floor below the top floor. The view was spectacular! It looks out onto the golf course and Surfer's Paradise in the horizon!
The room was spacious and clean and the hot water in the shower turns on right away, no waiting needed. The staff are helpful but the breakfast can be improved as it's the same thing every single day.
A little inconvenient in terms of location but I was there for a conference and it was just perfect!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear jnfchia

Your comments on the views are often reflected by other guest. As you point out the views from the higher floors are spectacular with views up and down the coast and out to the hinterland. One of the great things about the resorts location is that there are no high rise nearby and so the views are uninterrupted Also being only 7-10 minutes by our shuttle bus to the beach means that guests have easy access to the strip but can escape back to our little sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of the main strip!
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed here recently for a conference. Although aspects of this hotel are somewhat dated there is no denying it is still a gracious place to stay with lovely gardens and a great golf course. I anticipate when the new day spa opens it will will be a lovely addition. I appreciate the hotel was at capacity when staying however the reception staff forgot their smiles most days! The restaurant staff were much better with nothing too much trouble - very friendly and the food both in the restaurant and the tee house was excellent. I think it the rooms are overly priced for what you get but I guess that is where being an RAC member is of benefit with discounts. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear 5 star_preference

Thanks for your review - we are all very excited about the beautiful new One Spa taking shape next to the resort - it will be an amazing facility with a range of treatments and beautiful views out over the lagoon.
Sorry to hear that some of the reception staff were not too happy but pleased to read that the food & beverage staff were on top of the game. In regard to room pricing any auto club member can access the special member rates (RACV, RACQ, NRMA, RACT etc etc) which provides 25% off. Accordingly, room rates start at $166 which for a 5 star property on the Gold Coast is great value.
Glad to read you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will welcome you back soon
Regards
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here on business for 2 nights recently & have no complaints. The room has everything you need, is a good size. My room had a nice bathroom with good water pressure.
I stayed on the 18th floor & had a view over the golf course & Metricon stadium however I had a function the same time that the game was on :(
The beds were large & comfortable & I slept well but after a long day followed by a long night of networking at the bar that is to be expected.
The staff were friendly & helpful, 24hr reception & there is loads of underground parking.
I only ate there twice & the food was very good, not sure on prices as it was included in the package but the breakfast outside on a sunny winter morning was superb.
It's not walking distance to anywhere outside the resort but is well serviced by taxis.
I'm not a golfer but went for a hit at the driving range just to prove that I am not a golfer. Pricing was pretty cheap but you need to drive there from the resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have now stayed with Royal Pines Resort 8 times in the past 12 months on just casual going away weekends with my girlfriend. They are nothing short of professional in every manner.
it doesn't matter if its the little things of a smile and warm greeting or the little temptations of giving a upgrade for no expense.

If you are a autoclub member you cannot go past this hotel. For it to only be given a 4 star rating I must say they do deserve more. 1 real issue I have is that the buffet breakfast is a little expensive BUT you get absolutely everything for every penny you did spend.

Room Tip: Kind bedrooms are the best bet very well maintained, spacious & bed are very comfortable. if you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Jackk13
Great to read how much of a regular visitor you are at Royal Pines and that the service and facilities are to your liking.
As an auto club member (of any auto club - RACQ, NRMA, RACV etc) the rates represent real value.... and those discounts apply to golf and One Spa as well.....
Thanks for the great review and we look forward to welcoming you back!
RACV Queensland Resorts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benowa
QT Gold Coast
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,664 reviews

Been to RACV Royal Pines Resort? Share your experiences!