“Stayed there for a conference”

RACV Royal Pines Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benowa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Upper Swan, Australia
“Stayed there for a conference”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Have stayed at various places in Broadbeach before, so knew it wasn't going to be close to anything, but that can be good as well.
Undergoing renovations all over at time stay.
Rooms quite reasonable and appear recently renovated.
Bigger than normal rooms with good views.

Difficult to get a drink midweek, once golf bar closed.
Italian restaurant served sensational food.
Buffet breakfast ok, but not a huge choice.

There is no-one to help with bags or cases when checking in or out. I saw some very elderly people struggling with their bags but no-one to help other than other customers.

The baggage room didn't give tickets for bags left when checking out, just put your bags in and take them out Yourself.

The whole place is quite nice, has adequate facilities, but could do with more staff helping out with luggage.

Great venue for a conference.

If you are visiting the theme parks, don't stay here as too far.

If you are attending a conference or playing golf, give it a go.

Room Tip: All similar
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Peter P
Thanks for your review and great to read how much you enjoyed the resort and the food and beverage. Amici's our Italian restaurant has a growing regular clientele and regualrly gets great feedback on the quality and value of the food.As you noticed we are completing some renovations and part of that is upgrading our luggage storage facilities - this will assist in the handling of baggage you mentioned...
I should clarify one geographic point - the theme parks are much closer to Royal Pines than any of the hotels or resorts on the beach - we are a 10-12 minute drive whereas it is closer to 25 minutes from the beach.
Again, my thanks for your review and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future
RACV Queensland Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference, it's a bit isolated (being in the middle of a 27-hole composite golf course) but given that the conference was a full-time event there wasn't much need to go anywhere else. The staff were helpful, the rooms were clean and modern, and everything you needed was there, the only real complaint was that the Internet service was rather slow, even using the wired connection in the rooms rather than the wireless one.

Room Tip: The corner suites are quite nice, if you can afford them...
1 Thank tuturiwhata
Dear tuturiwhata
Thanks for your recent review. Our new Confernece and Events facilities are getting some great reviews from guests and delighted that you were able to experience them. Hopefully you will be able to come back for leisure and enjoy the many facilities available
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My family and I have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past 2 years, most recently March and April 2014. It is not located on the beach or in the centre of the gold coast, instead it is about 10-15 minutes drive, which suited us and is one of the reasons we like it. The hotel is surrounded by a golf course so very peaceful and green. There is a fairly major shopping centre about 5 minutes down the road, so you won't be left out if you want to buy a few things or grab a bite to eat.

The room itself is quite nice, tasteful and modern. Shower had good pressure, although the shower screen needed to be longer as there was some water spillage on the floor. Very comfortable bed and we had two double / queen sized beds. Very clean.

There is a childen's playround, with a bouncy trampoline, and general play equipment. The hotel also has a nice adult and kids pool as well. You can also walk around the grounds.

We got a great price of $180 per night (usually $205 for RACQ members) including buffet breakfast for two as there was some construction going on at the time. Parking is free as well. Oh and there is a nice little cafe in a sunken area near the reception.

I lived in Japan for many years and still keep comparing the incredible service standards in that country to what is offered in Australia. Service ranged from reasonable to not so flash. The reception was sometimes helpful and sometimes minimally serviceable. Room service was generally fairly good, including the spaghetti (especially if it comes up directly from the Italian restaurant) and triple decker sandwich. Prices are not too expensive either. Room service staff were ok but in our last stay, we were dealing with teenagers who were quite blah about our requests and got forgot part of our order and cutlery. It was fixed up but the room service didn't seem to know what was going on. To be fair, we had no problems during our stay in February.

My family and I are happy to keep going back to the RACV resort as it is a much nicer experience than a lot of the hotels on the gold coast.

Room Tip: Some mountain view rooms have a view of the stadium for the Gold Coast Suns AFL team :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear MintSliceFan

Thanks for the review and thank you for your repeat custom! The location is a real plus - many of our guests agree with your sentiment and enjoy the peaceful environs, set back a little from the hustle and bustle of the strip.
Also, thanks for your comments on the value for money for our food and beverage.
We look forward to continuing to welcoming you back in the future!
Gold Coast
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arrived for 1 night to attend annual Charity Ball. Even though we live and work on the GC, I myself had never been to the hotel. I was handed my key on arrival with not so much as a drop of information regarding where my room was, where the elevator was located or even my room number....not even a hint of conversation...not really the first impression that I was expecting....
The room itself was fine. Tastefully decorated and quite spacious. Nothing amazing just simple and neat. Room service though took a long time to get just two coffees.
After check out the next morning and whilst driving to a brunch reservation I realised that I had left a number of items in my room. It was too late to go back so we rang the hotel. Reception reported that nothing had been handed in by Housekeeping. Rang a number of times during the week and was met with same reply....so somewhere between my room and the Housekeeping Department my things just vanished into thin air. We were told that someone would contact us about the missing items and never got so much as a phonecall even though my husband and I both left our contact details. My mistake for leaving my things there but very disappointed in this hotel for the dishonesty of the staff and lack of contact from anyone. I won't use this hotel again not would I recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Check your room before you leave or say goodbye to your belongings...
1 Thank happimumma
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Happimumma
Thanks for your recent Trip Advisor review. While it was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your room it was disappointing to read that there had been no information supplied on check in. Doubly so as we have only recently opened our amazing new One Spa and Conference and Events facilities. I know we were full the night of the charity ball but a minute or two of advice on lifts, food and beverage outlets etc would have been of great assistance. I have discussed your comments with our Rooms Division Manager.
The housekeeping issue is unusual - normally if guests leave something in their room it is taken to Housekeeping by the houdekeeper who cleans the room, tagged and bagged and awaits claim. If you would like to contact me directly on john_morris@racv.com.au I would be happy to personally follow up to see if we can locate the missing items.
My apologies for this mix up - our system for lost and found is usually very effective.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Royal Pines Resort for a four night stay. Being a golfer and tennis player I loved the place however we did experience the worst customer service/attitude that I have encountered in all my travels. We booked the tennis court for 8.00pm and when we arrived at the court the lights went off as we were about to play. We spoke to a security staff member who was in charge of turning lights on and she had the worst attitude possible. She demanded a receipt, refused to turn on the lights, sent me back up to reception to get a receipt. I explained what had happened to reception and they sympathised and said they would get the lights back on. To cut a long story short, it ruined the whole experience...we ended up playing tennis under the general lighting and not the tennis court lights which she then claimed hadn't been turned on for three years yet they were on when we first arrived. We did experience a fair bit of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing as well as some errors made when booking. For golfers and tennis players it is fantastic getaway.

Room Tip: Corner spa room with view to Gold Coast was fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob3844
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Rob3844

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at RACV Royal Pines Resort. It was great to read how much you enjoyed the golf but diappointing to read that an overly enthusiastic security guard negatively impacted your experience at the tennis courts. I have met with our head of Security about the incident and the staff member in question is being retrained in customer service skills. While checking on guest/local tennis bookings is fine, it is clear that the method of communication needs improvement and we are ensuring that this is now the case.
My apologies for the incident and if you choose to return, please contact me directly on john_morris@racv.com.au so that I can try to ensure your next visit is positive in every way
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We spent a night here in April a fabulous location away from the hustle and bustle of the Gold Coast.a tastefully decorated spacious room with the most comfortable bed you will ever sleep in! We enjoyed a delicious dinner in the Italian restaurant with excellent service and a great selection at the breakfast buffet next morning, well worth a visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
JohnMorris11, General Manager at RACV Royal Pines Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear melanie416

Thank you for your kind words - our location is a great asset - close enough for easy to access the beaches, shopping and theme parks but far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle of the Strip. I agree totally regarding the beds - they are so comfortable a good nights sleep is assured and I have taken the liberty of passing on your comments to the team in Amici restaurant - who love to get positive guest feedback.
Thanks again!
Regards
John
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The rooms are super clean and tidy. Big windows make the rooms bright and airy. The staff are really helpful and friendly. The well appointed gym make this place a really great all-round place for any family holiday.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ocean side for the best ventilation.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear TrevorA
Thanks for your review - if you liked our current gym, you will love the new one currently under cobnstruction at RACV Royal Pines! It will be the best on the Gold Coast with quality fixtures, fittings and equipment and fantastic views from the ceiling to floor windows. it will open in late June - hope to see you back then!
RACV Resorts Queensland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benowa
QT Gold Coast
Novotel Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Mercure Gold Coast Resort

Been to RACV Royal Pines Resort? Share your experiences!