“Majestic! Utterly beautiful !”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Quamby Estate

Quamby Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hagley B&B and Inns
“Majestic! Utterly beautiful !”
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Quamby Estates is truly your home away from home
 It took us a leisurely 25 minute drive from Launceston CBD   We were driving through pasturing sheep with their lamb. We saw cows with their calves. Even snow capped mountains. As we entered the Estate we were greeted by a rows of old trees and sweeping meadows. The house in one word can be described as majestic. We were greeted by the lovely Lucy, gracioius Emily and Warm Karen on our first day. We walked through the house in awe. Each room was warn and cozy . It has 3 sitting rooms filled with antiques and  lit fireplaces throughout  I spent the afternoon reading by the fire and taking in the view. It was the first time I felt utterly relaxed. You can't not feel relaxed in this Home. All that was missing was my cat! We then ventured outside and walked for an hour down to the pond filled with geese and ducks. Then onto to the golf course. I made a mental note that I should learn this sport. The grounds are surrounded by old poplar, oak and elm trees planted 140 years ago. Now our room was amazing! We were in room 12. It has the romantic style four poster bed and a huge bath with views of the tennis court rimmed with daffodils and views of the pond and trees. Decorated beautifully. Dinner was such a surprise ! I felt like I was in a hatted restaurant ! Michael Macaway was our chef along with Patrick his new star of an apprentice. We loved all that was presented.  They only source local produce and grow many of their veges. On our last evening we enjoyed a glass of port in beautiful cognac glasses by the fire place. I have to say it was the best place to relax and feel at home. Please do experience it. 5 stars !!!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Fekixthwcat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My wife and I booked into Quamby on our way to walk Cradle Mountain. We had heard this was a good place and common start point for walks in the region. And I'm glad we did. Two nights here, one at the beginning of our walk and another after a satifying challenge was the perfect way to sign off on our Tassie Adventure.
The property had under-gone a complete refurbishment and only re-opened in Feb of this year and it showed. Our room (a Deluxe standard room 10) was upstairs and contained lovely antiques, heated marble bathroom floors and a beautiful 4 poster bed and separate lounge. There were lots of little touches like MOR bathroom amenities, complimentary bottled water and after returning from dinner our bed turned down, bathroom re-tidied and little choclate hearts on the pillows.
On the topic of dinner, this was also an unexpected but pleasant surprise. The restaurant chef produced several lovely and high quality local options. We selected the local salt and peper squid as an entree which was truly fresh and as tender as butter, followed by a rack of Tamar Valley lamb encrusted in herbs and crushed pine nuts, both dishes complimented by quality local wines ( if not an extensive list to chose from) . The manger did say however they are upgrading their wine list for the coming summer season. Desert was quite litterally a treat. The chef makes all his pasteries and cakes daily (as well as all bread in the hotel) and his New York cheescake with double king island cream was to die for (or we probably will!). He came out on a couple of occassions to speak with the diners, which was also a nice touch. We took our coffee in one of the lovely sitting rooms that are set aside for hotel guests in front of a log fire.
The king sized beds we were told were also all replaced this year and I think that made sense as they were newly firm but still verycomfortable.
Breakfast was adequate and the expresso good. A buffet arrangement and plenty of everything on offer but dinner is the highlight.
Our second night on our return was just as impressive. The country style service may not be 4 Seasons like but that isnt the spirit of this place. It is a wonderful country manor run by locals who just try to make you feel welcome and confortable and in that they suceeded hands down. We'll be back again and after walking the course we'll bring our golf clubs.

Room Tip: We asked and were upgraded to a Deluxe room on our arrival. Worth a try!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brad T
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

On a business trip recently I had the pleasure to stay at Quamby estate, and I write this now deeply surprised. Having stayed here years before under different ownership, I was impressed, very impressed in fact by the current state of Quamby, to the point that I feel others who may have stayed in the past should be aware that the Quamby of today is not the Quamby of before. My stay was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and one I would repeat on my next trip.
As my commitments kept me away from the estate itself during the day I was unable to have a round on the newly renovated golf course, but (to a non-golfer it must be said) the course certainly looked inviting, nestled in the valley that Quamby is situated in. A picturesque setting, the surrounding grounds are a testament to the ground staff, complimented by the exquisite architecture that is the Quamby homestead and its adjacent buildings. I arrived down a fairy-tale driveway, with majestic trees (trees that one cannot find in tropical Brisbane) lining the road. I was greeted by a friendly member of staff who was personally engaging and offered me a tour of the homestead.
I was intrigued to see how the place had changed, if indeed it had. The difference, frankly, was striking. Upon entering one of the sitting rooms I was taken aback by the period antiques and tasteful décor that had replaced the ‘ikea’ like furnishings of my last visit. Indeed I would have been content to have spent my 3 days in those two rooms that seemed to belong to a different time. I was then shown the dining room which had been relocated from my last visit. Again the difference was a welcome surprise. The dining room is now complete with a grand chandelier and mesmerizing mirrors that are beautifully decorated. The room is not expansive but of a good size and complete with an open fireplace (one of many throughout the homestead) and a large bay window overlooking the picture book grounds. The dining room just fell short of perfection by a leopard spot couch under the window that seemed out of place. Finally, I was shown some of the individually decorated bedrooms. These rooms were as a collective, tastefully renovated. My room itself, like the others, mixed antique furniture with a marble bathroom that gave of a refined and elegant ambience.
Now the food. Dinner was a delightful and relaxing treat. The food had a rustic charm that seamlessly fitted in with the cold winter nights of Tasmania. The pistachio crusted Tasmanian lamb that I had on my last night was truly something special, along with a well chosen wine list that complemented the dishes on offer perfectly. Now while dinner left you wanting more and more (my compliments to Michael the chef – well done) breakfast was something that hasn’t changed since my last visit. My suite cost $343 a night and my continental breakfast (while adequate) was somewhat disappointing with that in mind. For me personally it wasn’t a big deal, I was out of there by 7 30 sharp each morning, but for travelers paying top dollar, one would not expect to have to ask for a cooked breakfast as an extra ($20 surcharge fee). In short, the culinary experience at Quamby is memorable and revolves around the main course that is dinner, breakfast is basic but for me of peripheral relevance.
Quamby has changed and is truly something special. I will be looking forward to enjoying it again when I make the trek down south.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong, Room Ten - ultimate suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Jason G
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Held function for 31 guests at Homestead venue.Event coordinator (Jo) orginised the lot (Menu,Seating, Menu,Drinks,Cake and table centrepieces.)First Class Jo.

Meals were great. Compliments to the Chef.

Service Staff made all guests feel at home and added to the evening. Special mention of Lucy (Service Staff) OUTSTANDING.

This function exceeded my expectation. Thank You

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank David G
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here as part of a wedding and thought the property was lovely.

The staff were very nice and helpful. Our room was comfortable and clean.

However, the rooms are very noisy as they are not insulated very well from the hall ways and other people in the house. They should really look at insulating the room doors. If we were sharing the house with people we didn't know, it would be annoying cause we would be easily woken up.

Otherwise, lovely estate. Great golf course too!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dman7878
Shropshire
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Attended a wedding here in March and I first have to admit that the friendly and helpful staff made this a very pleasant occasion. They could not do enough to make sure things went smoothly. It's a beautiful venue and the facilities are excellent for a special event. But I also stayed the night and, as a hotel, it fell well short of the standard I expected from such an expensive outfit. Our room was no less than $330 a night, and there were not even any facilities to make a cup of tea in the room. Breakfast ends at 9 a.m., which is not what I call relaxing after a late night at a wedding reception, and turned out to be a help-yourself continental affair in the hotel kitchen. May suit trekkers, but not jaded wedding guests. When I checked out, they wanted to make a 1.5% surcharge for using a credit card! Overall verdict - a brilliant location, excellent service, but overpriced and some noticeable gaps in facilities.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Quadstar
melbourne
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My partner & I have just returned from celebrating our wedding at Quamby on the 25th Feb.

Quamby has recently been renovated & is under new ownership & the extra attention to detail is just shining through. We visiting several times before & after the renovations & its lovely to see Quamby being restored to it's former glory.

Our wedding was absolutely fantastic - a truly amazing day & I can't recommend Quamby highly enough as a wedding venue- but also as a beautiful place for a weekend break.

AS A BREAK:
Quamby is a beautiful old white 1830's building- a little bit "Gone with the Wind"ish. The website & the photos just don't do it justice.
It's surrounded by old trees & you can sit on the sandstone balcony & drink G&T's & watch the sunset.
We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms on the top floor- room 9 I think. We arrivied late but the staff were more than happy to serve us dinner (excellent) as well as cheese platters on the balcony. The room was lovely- consisting of a sitting room, bedroom & very large bathroom. We had a huge spa bath - great for a lazy champagne bath, the bed was large & comfortable & we had dessert ( a lemon tart so good I had it three times in one weekend ;-) delivered to our room.
To me- Quamby would probably work best as a romantic getaway or a bit of pampering after a wilderness trip in Tassie. It's quiet & romantic.

AS A WEDDING VENUE:
With that in mind - I hope you can imagine how lovely it was as a wedding venue.
We got married under a 150 year old tree, my dad walked me down the steps with the white homestead as backdrop , we had a great garden party, excellent catering & service at our reception & dancing afterwards.

Quamby appointed us a wedding co-ordinator- Jo Da Silva who really went above & beyond to help us. Planning a wedding from interstate ( we live in Melbourne) can sometimes be daunting & Jo was always quick to follow up & get back to us. We visited numerous times before the wedding for tastings & so on & we were both impressed with how on top of things she was. She also answered a rather embarassing amount of emails from me prior to the wedding- she was very patient!

We booked out the whole homestead ( 10 rooms) for our wedding party on the night of our wedding. Quamby arranged early check ins so we could all get ready on the day, they arranged early access to the reception areas, they helped us with decorations- they were calm & organised througout. I had friends from all over the world stay & they were all impressed with the rooms & the grounds.

Any small problems that did arise- fairly natural with a wedding- Quamby settled quickly & calmly.
Although we had quite a small wedding ( 60 people) it was quite DIY & details heavy & they really helped us stay on top of it without feeling stressed- I felt like we could just relax & enjoy the day & it all went just like clockwork.
I've received a follow up call from Quamby to check on how we felt about the wedding & great follow up service in returning lost items - for instance my IPOD which I was just too hungover to remember to pack ;-)

Happy to answer any PM's about this - espcially to any brides considering it as a venue. I work in travel ( & have done for over 8 years) & highly recommend Quamby.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank wanderlusting333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hagley
The Sebel Launceston
Clarion Hotel City Park Grand
Red Feather Inn
Red Feather Inn
#1 of 1 in Hadspen

Been to Quamby Estate? Share your experiences!