Palm Island Resort
Sun Coast Inn(Englewood)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$84
Travelocity
Englewood Bay Motel & Apartments(Englewood)(Great Value!)
US$90
Pearl Beach Inn(Englewood)
US$200
US$78
Travelocity
Warm Mineral Springs Motel(Warm Mineral Springs)
US$88
US$77
US$90
Priceline
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf cartrum bay restaurantthe ice cream shoprent kayakstennis courtsbell standbeach combingprivate islandbell serviceregistration deskshells galoreshort ferrydolphins playingget away from it allyour luggagerelaxing weekvacation rental
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2013

LOVE this place because there was hardly anyone there. When we checked in, the staff kept saying how busy they were so I was thinking "oh my word, I'm going to be surrounded by people all over the beach". I was hoping it would be deserted and it was. We had the pool and hot tub to ourselves 75% of the time and we went in the middle of July. The beach had "maybe" 15 people on it that we could see looking north and south. At one point my husband and I were the only ones on the beach. It was heavenly.
Also, when we checked in, the gave us an incorrect balance due (higher than quoted) so that made me nervous, but it worked out ok.
I am trying to go back again this year, but I've talked to 3 different people and they don't seem to have their act together at this place.
The first person I called was very helpful and friendly, but promised me an e-mail with info on rooms and pricing and the e-mail never came.
I called back a few days later and another person finally sent me an e-mail with pictures and rooms available, but was supposed to let me know some other info and I never heard back from her.
Called again and I got to talk to a 3rd person (strong northern accent) who was a little short with me and couldn't seem to give me a breakdown on the pricing. Also, quoted me a higher price per night than what the previous person had e-mailed me and she was adament that what she was quoting me was correct.
So, I hung up frustrated and not sure if we will end up going or not just because of the disorganization.
If you can't get back the disorganized check-in you'll be doing ok.
Other than that this place is incredible if you are looking for a place that has nothing to do except relax.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne L
Deborah H, Public Relations Manager at Palm Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

From the desk of the General Manager

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your comments. I have often viewed such comments in a constructive manner knowing that friends share with us our shortcomings while others usually do not say anything other than to never return for another visit.
Being a small resort, we attempt to take a personal approach in providing the best accommodations in regard to price as well as features that fit into our customer profile. Most reservations come to us via a telephone call as it was in your case. Over the last 18 months, we have successfully revised our villa categories by 3 tiers of availability; Standard, Deluxe and Superior. Each category has a different price tier, as well as possible variances in square footage. Recently, we have increased our specials and packages that have provided on one side additional choices for prospective guest yet has created more difficulty for guest services agents to provide quick pricing information.
Your comments certainly bring to light our need for additional training and reinforcement of providing clear guidelines to our preservationist staff members. Your continued loyalty to Palm Island Resort is of particular interest, and please don't be surprised when you receive a phone call from our guest services Manager within the next couple of days. We wish to listen, remedy and win you back as a fan.
General Manager, Palm Island Resort

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Palm Island Resort is a Beautiful Island Resort for couples, families, friends or solo as a great get a way. Wether for a day, week-end or weeks. It occupies the northern tip of Palm Island. No cars allowed on the resort. Golf Carts are used as the main transportation. You can access the resort by a quick 15 minute boat ride, Amazingly priced at $5 round trip!. Or you can take your car by Ferry and park outside the resort. I took out of town guest on the boat ride. We ate an early bird dinner (you have to ask for this menu) for two at $20 which included salad or soup, main course with vegetables & potatoes and drink. Food was delicious & service good & all staff were friendly. Following our meal we rented a golf cart for $25.00 per hour and $50 per day. We explored empty beaches with great shelling and we were able to take the cart off the resort to explore the rest of the island.
You can also rent other items for tennis, kayaking ect. We returned and enjoyed a cool icecream cone from "Coconuts" befre our boat trip back to the mainland. I highly reccomend the resort.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 7FlaFreckles
Reviewed 18 April 2013

From as young as I can remember my family and I visited Palm Island almost every year for Spring Break, Thanksgiving, and any other holiday/school break that was long enough for a decent stay. We were fortunate enough to own one of the Lands End cottages (the first #28 from the mid '80s to late '90s, and the second #35 from late '90s to mid '00s) and I can't remember a single visit that ended up being a bad trip. I know that this review may be somewhat biased given this fact, but of friends and family that have stayed in the resort villas I never once heard anything bad about their experience. I hope that when the opportunity arises, I'll be able to bring my kids back to Palm Island.

Back in the day the main method of getting to the resort was via the resort's passenger ferries from the main marina to Rum Bay. The boat ride was always a unique treat and inspired awe and wonder especially when traveling at night and navigating the intercoastal waterway, and the tram ride was always an event looked forward to. In the later years my father would rent a boat if we were going to arrive at the marina too late for the ferry service, and I can remember the many times holding up flashlights looking for the channel markers as we navigated. Now, the main means of access is via a 3min car ferry from the marina to the island. While this certainly speeds things up, the cost seems pretty exorbitant at $50 per round trip (it's less if you're walking or on a golf cart) and thus one reason why I haven't rated Palm Island a 5. So if you plan on eating out a lot be prepared for the ferry expense and if you're going to eat in the unit, do all your grocery shopping ahead of time.

If you're expecting lush and tropical, forget it. As you drive along the island to the resort, the vast majority of it is dry, hot, and dotted with scrub-brushes, tall grasses, and the occasional palm tree, but if you're lucky you'll spot a land tortoise or two which is always fun. Inside the resort grounds however is a different story. While not exact lush, there quite a few more coconut palms, hibiscus plantings, green grass and overall very well manicured. Additionally, with the inclusion of the private homes within the resort, most do a great job of making their property look nice.

The beach is one of the many highlights of this resort. Great for young kids with its abundance of sea shells and sharks teeth and soft white sand, one could spend hours combing for rare finds. While the water certainly isn't as blue as it is on the Atlantic side or the Caribbean it's generally peaceful and of decent temperature. It's a shame however the erosion that the beach has experienced over the years especially noticeable further north along the island by the the lands end cottages.

The resort does seem to be making a concerted effort to provide more things for people to do. From renting kayaks and bikes, providing tennis lessons and activities hosted by Captain Red Beard the resort's personal pirate, educational programs, and mini arcade, there's something for everyone if you look hard enough. Back in the day all there was was the Rum Bay restaurant so it's certainly a vast improvement and if you weren't a fisherman or going there for dinner there wasn't much of point going there. Traveling/exploring the full length of the island is always fun especially if you've rented a golf cart (as a kid we always called the south end "darkest africa" because it was virtually undeveloped save for a sandy golf cart path).

I could go on an on about the Resort and its many merits but in a nutshell it's a great place for a relaxing getaway with the family but may feel a little too secluded for the avid golfer or active traveler seeking an abundance of things to do. *Please note, the last time I went to Palm Island was in June 2007 and so this review may be somewhat outdated

Room Tip: Do your research on the resorts website ahead of time. Since many of the units are privately owned, some will vary in terms of quality of furnishings and etc.
Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Graham B
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have been here more than 5 times. We really love it for it's peacefulness. The condos are nice - some furniture is a little worn, but the beach is definitely worth turning a blind eye to that. We always have a few visitors that join us for part of the trip. It's a make your own fun kind of place. Very nice.

Room Tip: We prefer the top floor so we can enjoy the open balcony to watch the sun set.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mariannb
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Been here twice and was blown away both times.

These are privately owned condos so do your homework as some are nicer than others but if your looking for a quite unknown vacation on a beach where you may be the only people on the pristine beach watching beautiful sunsets with your spouse, this is definately the place!

If you want lots of activities or a loud night life atmosphere then you will probably be disappointed.

This is a true island, you must take a ferry to get there and when you get here you will feel every secluded. For some reason it seems to be a very well kept secret but we can not give it high enough marks.

We love it here and will be back again soon!

Room Tip: See photos of the room you book and reviews before booking
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple