“Wish we had driven the extra 1.5 miles to the Golden Lion in Newport.”
Review of Trewern Arms Hotel

Trewern Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Nevern B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stopped for lunch here today,as we had driven past on various occasions and thought it looked very nice. So wished we hadn't. Our first choice of food was not available,so choose something else. We went and sat down in a cosy area of the bar, tv was on rather load , so decided to switch off . We were the only ones in that area so guessed no one would mind, the lady behind the bar seemed to be perturbed.
Food arrived, Ham sadly pre packed type and a little slimy. Lasagne very anaemic, a blast in the oven or under a hot grill would had given it a lovely crispy top. No one however can get chips wrong can they, oh yes they can , undercooked!. Very sad and disappointed with our meal, will continue to use our favourite pub/restaurant when in the area,The Golden Lion in Newport, where the food is great. The best thing about the Trewern is the two young waitresses' who were very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank caerwedros

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My mum and I brought my dad here for lunch on his birthday, having been attracted by an advert which referenced the Good Food Guide and boasted an idyllic setting. Idyllic setting, yes, the village is beautiful although the restaurant's window tables overlook the road and a wall. We didn't mind that so much, however - what we did mind was the terrible service.

There was a wine list on the table but no drinks list was offered so we had no idea what else there was to choose from. In an otherwise empty restaurant we were seated on a table next to a couple on holiday, which wouldn't have been a problem if we hadn't been uncomfortably close; we may as well have been sat on the same table as these two complete strangers, and the silences were uncomfortable. When a waiter came to take our drinks order, he failed to ask my parents which size of wine glass they would like, so a waitress had to return to the table to ask. My dad's wine glass was dirty - he isn't usually fussy but cleaned the rim with a napkin before drinking. When the waitress took our food order, she didn't ask how I would like the steak, which meant she had to return yet again.

On arrival the food looked good and sauces were offered promptly. However, my steak was gristly, and my parents' chips were mostly undercooked. This was brought to the waiter's attention when he checked on our table, and again to the waitress's at the end of the main course as she seemed unaware of it. She apologised briefly, took our plates and then disappeared completely - if we had wanted desserts we would have had to go and find someone to ask for them. We got so fed up waiting that we instead searched someone out to ask for the bill, before going to Newport for ice cream instead.

The bill had not been totalled up properly so I had to get my phone calculator out. Nothing was done about the inedible chips. So, if the staff working on Wednesday 11th June wondered why table 4 didn't tip at lunchtime, now you know. Sorry, but considering we'd booked in advance and *told* you it was a birthday and we wanted it to be special, it was just not good enough. I am a waitress myself, and if I'd given service like that at work I would have been sacked on the spot... and that's no exaggeration.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lclinch94
Reviewed 6 June 2014

It's strange as I'm usually more careful than this. I mean B&B should mean breakfast is included, but alas there seems a proliferation of places that squeeze the last drop out of the weary traveller and charge for what should be there anyway. On this occasion I made the mistake of missing the added charge when I booked. If I hadn't missed it, then I wouldn't have booked, it's as simple as that. It was good enough at the original price, but poor at the inflated price. Mind you, I don't mind paying when it's worth it. But on this occasion I didn't think that the 'breakfast' fayre was anything worth writing home for. Indeed, if I had realised that we were paying extra, then we probably would have given it a miss. It's not all bad; as the staff were lovely and the car park ample, and I slept well on the bed. Although we were bemused by the brackets fixing the headboards to the wall. We wondered if they were there to stop someone passing them out of the window onto a waiting lorry, or to stop them rattling during passionate moments. Maybe it was a design intention, simply due to the type of beds and the the type of headboards simply not 'marrying' and as such the only thing left to do was to 'hang' the headboards onto the wall.

TIPS:

(1) don't use the plastic cups/beakers in the bathroom inside the plastic bags, it was quite apparent that our beakers had been washed out and placed inside the bags, yuck. (2) Newport Pembs is nearby and has some lovely places for eating out

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dyntan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent 3 nights in the Trevern Arms during a bank holiday weekend. We had chosen it because it had a family room for 5, the sort of things we always struggle to find, but we had not read any review. So we were positively surprised by the quality of the accommodation and the settings of the inn. It is situated in a small village, in the middle of welsh nature, close to a river and also close to the road between Fishguard and Cardigan, so easily accessible. The rooms are very comfortable and ours had actually two separate areas (parents / children) and a bathroom. It was overlooking the river. The only thing with the room was that it was just above the kitchen, so noisy during meal times (ventilation and water), but this background noise did not bother us much. There is a comfortable pub and separate restaurant, a large parking and staff have been consistently and genuinely good to us. When we broke down on the parking, threatened to cancel our short break and head back home, they spontaneously helped with booking a taxi, hiring a car, and even transporting us and proposing to push the car on the last day. We really felt special all along our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on the bank holiday weekend. Had a great time, the staff are all very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice plenty of space and spotlessly clean. Also two nice easy chairs, which where very comfortable. We had two evening meals which we both thought where very good, tasty and the portions size was spot on. The breakfast was excellent with really thick tasty bacon.

We will defiantly be going back. Also it is worth a walk across the old bridge into the very small village of Nevern. The church is well a visit, very impressive inside.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed for three nights while visiting family in Wales. Hotel supposed to be four star! Room fair size. Bathroom carpet stained. Not very clean. Mirror on dressing table dirty. Wire hangers in wardrobe. Bedroom carpet also stained. Took family to dinner was to be a treat. Quite expensive menu. Food tasteless, greasy. Not present attend very well. Dirty wine glasses on table. Complained to manager who did not take criticism very well. He did however, refund part of meal. Was to be a treat for family, night spoiled by poor service and very poor quality food. Definitely would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to view room before accepting. Cannot comment on other rooms. If the rest are the same quality...