“A warm welcome!”

The Harp at Letterston
Ranked #1 of 3 Letterston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We called in to The Harp on our way home from a busy day in Saundersfoot. We were warmly welcomed and seated very quickly. The menu was good- a wide variety of choices. All six of us enjoyed our food and a few of us had desert too. The land lady was extremely lovely with our children (one who is deaf) and spent a lot of time showing them photographs. We would recommend this.

• Stayed: August 2014
There are newer reviews for The Harp at Letterston

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife & I visited the Harp Inn 1/08/14 at approx 20.40

As we were primarily looking for an evening meal & also B+B we thought this would be the ideal place to stop.

We approached the bar and asked were they still doing food, without even greeting us a very rude
woman advised us that they were ,but that some of the menu wasn't available which was fair enough.

Straight away she said that she'd get our drinks

My wife ordered a glass of Coke & I a glass of milk.

I was stunned when she said that they didn't serve glasses of milk and only supplied it with tea or coffee.
Then I requested a glass of water.
Having thought for a moment I decided to try a little gentle persuasion on the milk issue but this
very arrogant woman wasn't for turning.
I immediately cancelled the drinks and informed my wife that we were leaving.
Having been born on a mixed farm in S.E. Ireland ,I'd reckon not many Welsh farmers especially
dairymen would be too impressed with this arrogance & stupidity.

Regards

Andy B

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Andy B
Jack S, Owner at The Harp at Letterston, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

when you arrived ,we had stopped food service ,but we did offer you a large selection of meals. you then ordered your drinks a coke and a pint of full fat milk ,which we do not have ,you were offered semi skimmed .which we do use for tea and coffee , this was declined and a pint of tap water requested .
this was given to you and you still asked for a pint of full fat milk which we do not have .at this point you stated that we could stuff our food and walked out ,
at no point was accommodation discussed , and as we were fully booked not an option any way.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We booked a night at the Harp because there was a large wedding on in Newport and other local events meant a lack of B&B rooms there and Fishguard - so this was the only place with spaces. We wouldn’t have chosen this location (on the A40 near a petrol station) as it is long way from the attractions. The Harp is basically a motel with very charmless new-built and small rooms overlooking the noisy road and a car park, it has more the feel of an airport Travelodge than a B&B (think Alan Partridge’s motel). The staff were friendly enough, the food pretty poor and uninspiring like the surroundings.

I would have given maybe two stars for the Harp but for a bad incident. We had our 14-month-old baby with us who refused to sleep in our travel cot, so we put him in bed with us. At some point during the night, he vomited on the duvet. We presumed it would be washed out of the cover as part of the motel’s general room clean and didn’t think much of it. However, a few days later I was told a £50 fine for damage had been taken from my credit card from which I’d paid for the room. Obviously the baby's action was a genuine accident and hotels are of course insured for this kind of thing and wouldn’t normally charge, so the actions of the owners of the Harp seem like pure profiteering to me. Particularly so, as no copy receipt for the claimed replacement has been emailed to me despite being requested.

Pretty disappointed as the room was already overpriced at £95 a night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MilesCarly
Jack S, Owner at The Harp at Letterston, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

"I would like to state that the use of review sites as a way of expressing your one sided views is no help to anyone and not true which is worse .
we are a very popular restaurant with 6 rooms in north Pembrokeshire,we were able to accommodate you as we had a last minute cancellation due to illness ,there is a garage 500 meters away but I do not know how that effects my customers.
our rooms are in a converted 500 year old barn and have been designed and fitted out to a high standard and in no way a travel lodge .we have 58 excellent and very good reviews please read them to get a proper overview .
The "soiling " as you refer to it affected a bedspread ,duvet cover ,sheet ,under sheet and our mattress protector .it involved 6 major areas of what you call vomit ,these pictures can be made available to any one interested and we have sent them to the reviewer.
No mention of the problem was made when you came in for breakfast ,and you left to go on your way. when the cleaners went in to clean your room they found all the soiled bed linen in a pile in the corner ,we took photographs and then tried to clean the soiling off the bedding. all of the pure white bed linen had to be thrown away as after 5 washes it was still stained ,the bedspread did come clean ,but at a cost (dry-cleaning and special treatments)
We left 2 messages on your phone ,to no response ,and in the end emailed you with the pictures .we informed you that we had never had a problem like this in 4 years of having a b&b and we would make a charge to you to cover some of the costs involved ,but that it did not cover all of it .as the insurance would not .
You emailed us with a thinly veiled threat that if we did not refund the money to you ,that you would write a poor review and have now done so if someone had stayed at your house and left the room in the state that you did,and not told you and just left I am sure that you would not have pleased ,neither were we !"

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just returned from a four night stay. Lovely clean well presented rooms with everything you need. Breakfast was amazing and will keep you going all day. Also ate in the restaurant each night beautiful home cooked food and such a choice. Staff very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, Becky the owner was so welcoming and her knowledge of the area is amazing, will definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

thank you for your great review ,it is so nice to have genuine reviews from guests who leave a true review of our premises ,look forward to seeing you again Giles and Becky

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancé come here all the time. Food is awesome spot on we always come back friendly welcoming staff. I would recommend this place to eat.

Took my mum dad and sister here sister was very impressed she will be going again when she's back in pembrokeshire

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had a lovely stay at The Harp. Gorgeous rooms and excellent food. The owner made us feel really welcome and was really helpful. She also allowed us to check in early which was really kind. We are definitely going to stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here again whilst visiting a relative in Fishguard. A wonderful establishment - lovely rooms, excellent food and very welcoming, friendly staff. Clean, comfortable rooms. Shower in room malfunctioned and it was fixed the very next day - brilliant service. Thank you for a great few days - you know we will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterston
Wolfscastle Country Hotel
#4 of 6 in St Davids
Twr y Felin Hotel
Twr y Felin Hotel
#1 of 6 in St Davids

Been to The Harp at Letterston? Share your experiences!