“Restaurant only review”

Ranked #1 of 4 George Town B&B and Inns
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Restaurant only review”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed a few doors down at Palm Bay, but ate dinner twice at Augusta Bay. Both meals were very very good. The first time we ordered 2 drinks, conch fritters for an app, I ordered a pan fried seafood combo & my wife ordered the Surf and Turf. Although it was expensive (~$150usd) the food was very very good, and the view, atmosphere, and service was great.

We returned on a Friday night, and were surprised to see a buffet style meal. The buffet consisted of fried chicken, fried fish, ribs, pasta, macaroni & cheese, soup, salad, bread, and deserts. Everything we tried was excellent, and at $25usd per person was a great value.

Would return & recommend if you are in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beach32250FL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was there by myself for a night and I can never forget this hotel help me to save 30 bucks of taxi by just a friendly reminder!
The staff ( I just forget to know your names) were so nice that they can help me for all I need...for booking a wonderful boat trip, make sure I am well as a solo female traveler, suggest me to go to a fantastic beach nearby with providing beach towel, and where I can try fish fry nearby, as well as the good dining services!

The room is nice and enjoying pool and sea view. You can enjoy the sunset here peacefully.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank IvySYHui
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This little hotel was a fantastic choice for my best friend and I. All the rooms face the beautiful water, and our room was lovely. The staff was beyond friendly and very helpful with advice to get around the island. It's close enough to Georgetown to walk if you like - or short cab ride - or... wait for it... hitchhike. That one surprised me- but it's very safe to accept rides in Exuma as everyone is either heading to or coming from town. The people are extremely friendly. If you like all inclusive hermetically sealed resorts this one probably isn't for you... but if you want a beautiful room with a killer view and genuine kind people and service- than I highly recommend Augusta Bay. Full disclosure - we had such an amazing trip that I'm heading back in November with my boyfriend. Can't wait to see that pretty water and those friendly faces again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank CraftyKim
niagara falls
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here in February of this year. What everyone needs to know is great Exuma is not like Nassau. It's a very safe, quiet island. And the waters that surround it are more than beautiful. The property is very nice and well taken care of. The staff are all very friendly( John. Monique are great people and very helpful. I must say Douglas your the best and thanks for all your tour guide help:) A car would be helpful but next time I go I would rent a boat for the week. So many places and things see on the water. Swimming pigs awesome , swimming with sharks just wow. Iguana island.. The list goes on..I have to say that the waters around this island are beautiful.. This place is a great place to stay when visiting this island. I will return.. And if you go soon say hi to Augusta, he's the mascot for the property. And a beautiful dog :)

• Stayed February 2014
11 Thank robert g
Oak Park, IL
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Once again, I am amazed by the reviews I read before and after this stay. Anyone who could find this little boutique hotel a "gem," the food exceptional, and the beach attractive probably has not traveled much in the Caribbean or elsewhere.
Although my stay was fine and I did not starve, there is no way I would return to this very amateurish operation. But let me be fair and list the positives and negatives of this little boutique hotel. Here goes:
Positives:
1. a great salt water swimming pool kept immaculately clean and always the perfect temperature. I loved the pool and used it all the time.
2. beautifully designed and executed bathroom.....could be in Architectural Digest
3. a nice long beach to walk on (with some detours for piers, hotels, etc.)
4. when tide is in, adequate swimming and snorkeling in front of hotel...no coral there, but fish around the dock. I would not call it thrilling snorkeling but there are many fish to watch.
5. staff is nice, but at times clueless.....will answer questions but do not initiate providing any valuable information about being there.
6. Exuma is safe and gives one a feeling of confidence of not getting in trouble if out walking at night alone. As a single woman of 75 I was able to go anywhere with a sense of safety.

Negatives:
1. You need a car....I did not rent one and ended up hitchhiking back and forth to a beach which was a little far for me to do round trip walk. If not a car, then you will pay high taxi fees.
2. Beach in front at low tide is somewhat smelly (natural salt pond smell) and unswimmable because too shallow....not a beautiful Caribbean beach, nothing like photos of Exuma.
3. Food is average and pricey. Breakfast completely average, with packaged sliced bread, not very good muffins, unripe cantaloupe, American grapes, no tropical fruit, and a cheese/meat tray inferior to deli department at local supermarket. You will not starve, but after eating the buffet at the Melia in Nassau this was a huge comedown.
4. Beds and bedding beyond ridiculous.....o.k. I am barefly 5 ft. tall....a Munchkin....but I could not get into the bed with superhigh mattress. Were they helpful? No. We moved two chairs so I could climb in and out from either side. With a bad ankle (torn tendon) this was like torture . I asked if there was a stool or little ladder or anything and was told a decisive no. Then we have the heavy brocade comforter....completely inappropriate for the climate. Yes, it was beautiful with the match pillow covers, but it was a big pain moving that heavy thing, and no, they did not turn down the bed at night. Plenty of drawer and closet space but inadequate hangers.
5. No local tourism brochures there...wondered if there were any and asked but was told no....met some folks at airport who had a beautiful Exuma brohcure they had gotten at Sandals which got a high recommendation from them. No suggestions of things to see.....so I had my taxi driver show me Georgetown on way to airport.....it was a lovely little town.
I could go on, but I think you get the idea.
Did not want to be negative about this place, because obviously the staff cannot change the tide, frequent rains, or other things beyond their control. But, I was ready to leave the first night and gradually calmed my feelings and floated with the tide. I liked Exuma but would want to return to a better hotel with food more to my liking. My bargain priced hotel in Jamaica so far exceeded what was offered at Augusta Bay that it was a "no brainer." Just wish I could transfer the quiet and good manners of Exuma to the Jamaican surroundings, beach, and food.
One more positive vote: Augusta the dog was friendly and unobtrusive...liked him the best.

Room Tip: They all seem to be the same....only two floors so your choice is first floor with patio deck or sec...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank RobertaOakParkIL
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

we stayed here for five days in may and i cannot fault the hotel one bit, or its location. Its a beautiful small boutique hotel sitting right on the beach. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by the lovely staff, who were always so friendly and helpful. As soon as we walked onto the secluded beach we were greeted by a stingray swimming right up to shore. The beach reminds me of somewhere pirates may have chiled, crystal clear water, green trees and white sand.
The room was perfect and spotless. the bed was one of the most comfortable i have slept in, and our balcony looked out to the sea. Within the five days we hired a car around exuma and tried to see the whole island and do the exuma cays tours, eg swimming pigs, sharks, diving etc. The people of exuma are so friendly, makes such a great change. The long road from the hotel to the town took around half hour walk, and many a times locals stopped to ask if we would like a lift. We were told as its such a small island it was very safe to accept lifts.
If your looking to book this hotel in exuma, dont hesitate, one day we would love to come back but with a nine hour flight theres alot of the world to see! we would like to say a huge thanks to the staff for making our stay a once in a lifetime, especially to monica who always went that little bit further to help us out any way she could. Also thanks to Augusta the dog who greeted us everyday with a wag of his tail!

Room Tip: we literally had to walks a few steps from our balcony and we were on the beach!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank holly1982
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Whenever the phrase "great value" appears, it somehow suggests Holiday Inns or the Courtyard chain and, in the Bahamas, it can cover a gambit of accommodations and comfort levels. Augusta Bay is great value, but it is a true gem just north of George Town in Exuma. Location on the harbor, with excellent views, an attractive courtyard and pool, a very acceptable restaurant and a wonderful staff - you could pay twice as much and not get close. The rooms are big enough, everything works and the whole place is spotlessly clean. There might be a handful of fancier hotels through the Exuma Cays, but if you are on a budget but love order and cleanliness, Augusta Bay is for you!

Room Tip: Second level facing harbor and overlooking pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#4 of 13 in Great Exuma

Been to Augusta Bay Bahamas? Share your experiences!