“You don't always get what you want!”

Hideaways at Palm Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in George Town
Cincinnati, Ohio
“You don't always get what you want!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

#1 - We booked our cabin six months ahead of time - a specific cabin based on the recommendation of the manager on the phone. It had everything we wanted, was the closest one to the ocean and we were very excited about out first Caribbean vacation. We looked up picture others had posted of the cabin and sent them to each other on high stress days. The number of the cabin became our lucky number and secret code. Imagine our disappointment when we showed up after a very loooong day of travel to fine that the cabin had been given to someone else the day before to solve a booking problem they had. They gave us another cabin - very nice but just not quite the same. After all the anticipation, it was a really big deal to us that we got the cabin we had booked and been promised. We were given a terse apology and nothing else. We tried to make the best of it but never really got over it.

#2 - Also - where the beach? I thought there'd be beach chairs on pristine white sand with ready drinks being offered. You had to drag a chair from the pool and place it on a very narrow piece of sand. We were told to walk about 300 yards down to another beach that was beautiful. Oh and don't forget to take everything you need because there's nothing there.

#3 - The staff at the bar was about as friendly as a cop giving you a ticket and slow on top of that. I expected the prices to be high, but with that I also expected service staff to act like they were glad to have us. I was told it was the Bahamian way. Everywhere else we went, in town, at the resort nest door, or across the bay - people were fabulous.

We will never go back to Exuma. I hear Nassau is pretty nice! :-)

Room Tip: It won't matter what you ask for.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank DL5578

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
chastings9010
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week in the two story, two bedroom villa (unit 38) which we rented directly from the owner via homeaway. We had stayed there twice before and love it. Please see my review from several years ago for details about grocery stores, car rental, etc. The hotel has worked out the details with the privately owned villas so we were welcome to use resort facilities and even maintained a tab at the restaurant that we settled at the end of the stay. The location is perfect and there are moorings in the bay by the hotel, so you can rent a boat at Minns and be at Stocking Island beaches, St Francis for lunch, or Chat n Chill in minutes! We will continue to view Palm Bay as our home away from home in the Exumas!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank chastings9010
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Had a great time at Hideaways this week on a two-day trip to Exuma with some friends. The rooms were bigger than expected and the open concept kitchen and living room area were superb. Not to mention the outside porch where one could sit and have a meal while enjoying the beautiful scenery of flowers and trees on the property was a great option to have. I only take issue with the complimentary wi-fi not being strong enough in the apartment. The wi-fi signal was terribly weak and I could not connect sometimes on my netbook and when I could I still was unable to browse with any real success. To conquer this problem I recommend the hotel getting wi-fi signal boosters that can easily be plugged into the walls. This would eliminate the need for guests to go into the main lobby at the front desk to use the computers away from the convenience of being in their apartment rooms. Other than the wi-fi complaint everything else was great and I HIGHLY recommend Hideaways as the hotel truly went out of its way to make our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a ground apartment if you don't like walking upstairs
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lexx79
Montreal
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We have just returned from a week long stay at Hideaways! What a lovely place, The owners and the staff were all very friendly, informative and helpful. We have stayed in Oceanside 2 bedroom villa and had enjoyed it very much. Very clean, spacious, with 2 full bathrooms and the powder room, full kitchen, dining room and the living room. The balcony overlooking the ocean was wonderful place to be and relax listening to the waves.
The location is the best. Close to Georgetown and also not far from the airport, around 10 min drive. The hotel beach is nice, but we have discovered, just around the corner, wonderful Jolly Hall Beach, about a km long, and with hardly ever anyone there. The water was calm and the sand very soft. Shuttle service to town was a great feature, It goes a few times a day. Good way to get to the grocery store or even to the taxi boat that goes to Stocking island. The hotel has many accommodation categories and they are all wonderful> We have stayed on the ocean side and while you are close to the water and the beach, hill side is just across the street and has as comfortable accommodation but also spectacular views. So whatever fits your budget and the group you will enjoy it.
It is not an all inclusive so you have to prepare your food or visit some of the local restaurants. Splash is a great place to grab local specialty, drink, and pizza. But since we had a full kitchen we have cooked most of our meals. Some fresh food you can get from Exuma Market, but some of the dry food we brought from home. We loved Exuma, as the holiday destination since we love beaches, low key places and we enjoy meeting local people vs staying in big resorts.
Hideaway was such a great place to spend that long waited week of our family vacation and we will be back!

Room Tip: It is a good idea to rent a car and explore the island. We loved Little Exuma and enjoyed visiting M...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank DandKMontreal
Sierras, California
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I rented an oceanfront cottage at the beginning of June 2013. These cottages are lovely, spacious and have GREAT views. I also took advantage of the hotel's free shuttle to town, which is great if you don't wish to rent a car or take expensive taxis. Another plus of the location: In addition to the onsite restaurant, there are two bars and restaurants just next door. Hit Frankie Bananas' happy hour on Friday night for the free appetizers and discounted beers! Most of the staff at Hideaways are very nice, but the one exception is the front desk receptionist. She is abrupt, bordering rude. She knows her job, but needs to be friendlier and more helpful. Loved the slow island vibe of Exuma!

Room Tip: I stayed in the #10 cottage and #14. Both were lovely and spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank kaiwahini
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I was just at Hideaways at Palm Bay First week in June .Right from arriving all the staff were pleasant very helpful, polite and go the extra to help out and provide anything you need or if it isnt right the owners will make it right which was nice because I locked myself out of my room at some unusual times but service came right away to let me in. Even when I could not open my room safe on my departure day I was told not to panic one phone call to the mangers had it taken care of within an hour told me dont worry about my misfortunes. The staff get to know you by your name, where your from and a good morning. Your just not a room number. My hillside room was more than I asked for or expected a nice view, clean one bedroom suite with full kitchen, living room and cold AC. Shuttle convieniant to Georgetown for groceries, meals,or dock to meet the water taxi. Tried some local flavor foods at different places were all good and at the Fish Shacks down the road great on a Sunday. Splash Bar N Restaurant was good food $20 bucket of cold beer nice. Pool tournament great way meet who is staying there also.Diving was all arranged thru Exuma Dive they have a nice big modern boat and was well run.If want all the benefits of all inclusive high end resort go to Sandals. If you a family run atmosphere, personal service and a great location with lots to see and do they will arrange it for you.Or just relax its that easy. Car rental nice if you want go Island exploring. Its was quiet there and so many nice beaches everywhere.Thanks to everyone at Palm Bay for making my first trip Exuma a pleasant one. Will return again.

Room Tip: Hillside nice views, or take a beach side villa if you want be close to water n Splash Bar
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sportdiver15
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

We rented an oceanfront villa which is not technically the hotel. So I can't comment on the hotel rooms. Our villa, which is owned and maintained by private owners, was awesome. We were supposed to be able to share the community amenities with Hideaway. We asked at the front desk about a free shuttle to Georgetown and the front desk lady said we weren't allowed to use it. I went in a few times to ask about other things, and she was not the friendliest. She would stare at the desk when we walked in.

• Stayed June 2013
#5 of 6 in Great Exuma
Augusta Bay Bahamas
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 2 in George Town

Been to Hideaways at Palm Bay? Share your experiences!