Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Taveuni Palms Resort(Matei)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Nakia Resort & Dive(Taveuni Island)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Garden Island Resort(Taveuni Island)
  • Restaurant
Laucala Island Resort(Laucala Island)
View Hotel
All reviewsbanana bureour honeymoonoutdoor showerthe lavena coastal walkmeal plancooking classwonderful staffwelcome songmangopacked lunchthe cottagesfruit smoothiesvillage visitrainbow reefclose to the airportother gueststhe main house
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Loved the Coconut Grove. Rhonda and the girls were friendly and attentive the entire week. They took care of whatever we needed to make sure that we enjoyed ourselves.

Loved the snorkeling on the reef right outside the property. Loved the hammock on the beach beneath the palms. Loved the fact that there are only 3 bures on the property so you didn't feel like a tourist, but rather like a guest of the family. I recommend taking the bikes and riding into town one day. It's a great way to see the island.

The food is outstanding. We tried several other restaurants on the island, but none compared. Fresh fruit at every meal, Ika Vaka Lolo at dinner (Fish in Coconut Milk). Papaya curry for lunch. Nothing beats sitting back on the patio watching the ocean while eating your meal.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Our week as guests of Ronna and her staff at Coconut Grove Cottages was the best week of vacation we have had ever, anywhere, at any price!

Coconut Grove has a just 3 bures and another guest room in the main house, so the service is very relaxed and personal. The staff offer really good massages at a very low rate in the massage bure on the beach. There are kayaks and bikes for the guests use and an excellent reliable cheap taxi service. The gardens are spectacular and provide daily fresh flowers for the bures. The resort also has its own extensive fruit and vegetable garden and the staff in the kitchen do an incredible job turning out food to order that is simply delicious. There aren't many restaurants on Taveuni, and Coconut Grove has to be the best.

Our bure was clean, comfortable and well laid out. The deck and outdoor shower had fantastic views of the moon and stars at night and the beach and ocean during the day.

The beach was clean and close, just a few steps away. The waters were warm and inviting and the snorkeling and kayaking were easy and fun, the reefs were quite close and very pretty, and there were some small islands just far enough away to make a great picnic spot.

Taveuni is the Garden Island of Fiji and very undeveloped. There are few resorts and houses for rent, so it definitely will appeal more to the eco-traveller then anyone expecting a more typical vacation spot. There are no nightspots, few bars and restaurants and few tourist sights. There are however great scenic views and sunsets; rain forest; miles of unspoilt Heritage Park to hike; too many waterfalls to count; lots of great beaches to enjoy; and miles and miles of reefs to kayak, snorkel and dive.

We’re not hikers so we gave the rain forest a miss, although fellow guests were very impressed.

We kayaked and hiked the Lavena Coastal Trail with a guide. It was so enjoyable we went back the next day to rent a boat and explore further down the southeast coast and enjoy all the waterfalls that drain this side of the Island. Lavena Village has few facilities, but CG staff had made all the arrangements and sent us off with a packed lunch. The guides were great fun and very informative and made the trip really enjoyable.

We went diving and snorkeling on the Rainbow Reef in the Somosomo Straits. Dive Taveuni did a great job. World class diving from a nice boat with a really talented local divemaster and lots of warm Fijian smiles. The reefs and the surface interval locations were equally stunningly beautiful!

On Ronna’s recommendation we went to the Mission church on Sunday at Wairiki. The massed voices singing in harmony was incredibly beautiful. No matter how you feel about religion this is not to be missed.

But without a doubt, it was the exceptional staff at the Coconut Grove Beachfront Resort who made our stay so enjoyable. Every one there has perfected the art of anticipating their guests’ every need and delivering service at just the right time with a cheery Fijian smile and a very warm “Vinaka”. We have never felt so well looked after, or so sad to leave when it was time to go. Not surprisingly, we’re already discussing our return trip.

Room Tip: The Banana Bure is the closest to the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeysPeter
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay in Fiji and somehow I came across the island of Taveuni and then of course the amazing reviews of Coconut Grove. From there we decided that this was the island and place we needed to be for our vacation and please believe me when I say this place did not disappoint. I am super picky about where I stay so trust me on this! This is definitely a different type of vacation place (island and accommodations) as opposed to let's say "Bora Bora" but that is what is so great about it. We did not have the luxuries of AC, TV, Phone, etc. but we didn't need it - I was thanking God we didn't have TV/Phone so that my husband and I could actually spend time together and just decompress which exactly what the island and Coconut Grove allows you to do. The island runs on a generator so I think Coconut Grove was pretty luxurious when you keep that in mind, this will be a vacation where you can relax, clear your mind and just enjoy life! You will most likely be asleep by Fiji mid-night haha (9pm) and then just wake-up with the sun! Here are some highlights but I could go on for forever:

The 3 burres they have to stay in are great - it seriously felt like we were on a private island with just the amazing people that work at Coconut Grove. We split our 8 night stay with 4 nights in the Papaya room and another 4 in the Mango room (the Papaya room is small and not as nice as the Mango and Banana rooms but that's why it is cheaper but it does the trick!!!!). If you can I would suggest staying in the Mango room or split up your stay to even out costs if that is what you are worried about!

We got the meal plan which means my husband and I ate for $80FJD a day - so let's say $40USD which is insane. Breakfast is included in your stay so we spent about $40USD on lunch, dinner, and snacks - it's CRAZY and the reason it's CRAZY is because the food is amazing!!! I highly suggest just getting the food plan because there are only a few places to eat nearby and to me just is not worth it, plus the relationship you build with everyone at Coconut Grove makes you want to eat all your meals there! Also you never have to think about it which is what you want to do the least amount of when on vacation! Another couple that was staying there ventured out the first night to a different restaurant and said it was fine but why do that when there is a great place a few steps away!!! Needless to say they ended up doing the meal plan for the rest of their trip.

So I mentioned relationship with the staff and I only hope I can do them justice in this review. From the moment we arrived they were calling us by name and it just got better from there. There are a few people I will never forget and when I say I would go back JUST to visit them I mean it! Everyone keeps asking me how our trip was and the first words out of my mouth are "The people in Fiji are amazing!!!!". You are already in a spectacular setting so imagine how much better it is when you have the most friendly, considerate people around you too! I immediately fell in love with them and miss them more and more each day. Serah, Bimla, Flori, Rosie, Vina, Fina - just to name of few of the girls. I love you guys if you are reading this :). Ronna, who is the owner, seriously created a little piece of heaven right on earth. Ronna if you are reading this which I know you are :) We really enjoyed talking with you and getting to know you - please tell Millie we miss her dearly.

Definitely get a massage while you are there - my husband and I both got massages from Serah and Rosie and it was great/relaxing so I highly recommend taking advantage of that.

Ummm you have your own private beach right outside your burre - need I say more! Definitely take the kayaks out to one of the small islands near by and snorkel.

We did a few activities while on the island:
Couple dives with Taveuni Dive - so fun, the staff is great!!!
Lavena Costal Walk with tour guide Samone (he stole my heart - love this guy!)
Catholic Church mass on Sunday morning (cannot remember the name of the village but the staff at Coconut Grove will know exactly where you want to go) followed by a visit to the international dateline (not a lot going on there but still HOW many people can say they have seen it!)

Ok I think I have mentioned everything at this point - PLEASE please give this place a go, it will change your life forever!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WhitV
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Coconut Grove was the perfect resort for our honeymoon! The grounds were lush with tropical foliage and flowers that were absolutely gorgeous! The bures were so cute and very well maintained. Coconut Grove was very private and that made our trip extra special since it was our honeymoon. They had kayaks which we could use at any time and there was beautiful snorkeling off shore. They also had a taxi service that was prompt and clean. I love the Fijian spirit-everyone is so kind and friendly! The food was simply the best! I gained 6 pounds. If you ever go there, make sure you try their chocolate-hazelnut mousse! We stayed at Coconut Grove for 11 days and we had plenty to do and also plenty of relaxing time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Our stay at Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages on Taveuni Island was a dream come true. I chose Coconut Grove as a surprise honeymoon for my new wife, I was looking for somewhere that we could be alone and just enjoy each other. Coconut Grove delivered tenfold beyond my expectations. The quaint cottages, and the secluded private beach was a dream come true. The workers were so kind and they took such good care of us and although the accommodations were wonderful I think it is the staff that we miss the most. We have talked about traveling the world, but after staying here I think we’ll just have to keep going back to Coconut Grove

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple