Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages
US$630
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Garden Island Resort(Taveuni Island)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$170
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Maqai Beach Eco Surf Resort(Qamea Island)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$112
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Taveuni Palms Resort(Matei)
  • Breakfast included
Nakia Resort & Dive(Taveuni Island)
Laucala Island Resort(Laucala Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbanana bureour honeymoonoutdoor showerthe lavena coastal walkmeal plancooking classwonderful staffwelcome songmangopacked lunchthe cottagesfruit smoothiesvillage visitrainbow reefclose to the airportother gueststhe main house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I just came back from Fiji. We visited both the big island and Taveuni Island. We stayed at both a 5 star resort and Coconut Grove. Let me just say, Coconut Grove is unbeatable and it’s the best decision we made for this trip.  It puts 5 star resorts to shame.

We stayed in the Banana Buree, which is the one closest to the beach. We loved the location because you can sit on the patio and enjoy the beach and hear the waves. It also has a private hammock that is well shaded under three coconut trees. It’s one of the most joyful moments to lay side by side and watch stars.  There was also a wonderful outdoor shower, where you could bathe while enjoying the sea breeze.  I think everyone should try the outdoor shower next to the ocean once in their life. Although the outdoor shower is not fancy, if you are lucky, you will catch the moon shining on the small island across from the sea and enjoy the most breathtaking view while you are showering.

Coconut Grove helped us arrange all of the activities. You don’t have to book any tours ahead of time, just tell the staff where you would like to go 1 or 2 days ahead, they will help you arrange it. We did Lavana Coastal Walk, Bouma Waterfall, Scuba Diving at Rainbow reef, a village visit, and a quick international dateline trip during the 5 days we stayed.  The lovely staff helped us to arrange all of them. Coconut has their own taxi and driver – David, who only works for Coconut Grove. He keeps the car clean and will wait for you while you go on any tours.  The taxi trip can be pricey, but if you know the road conditions here (man unpaved), you will understand how long it takes and how hard it is to keep a vehicle clean and running well. Coconut also helped to arrange car pools, so if another couple staying there wants to do the same tour as you, you can share a taxi and save money. We pretty much carpooled on all the trips except one.

We loved the food here!!! It’s fresh every day. You pick your lunch and dinner a day ahead or in the morning, and then they go shopping for the ingredients according to your order.  I took a cooking class and they have a garden at the back, so we just picked peppers right outside.  The staff here goes out of their way to make the food to your liking. I fell in love with the Fijian ceviche dish (Raw fish in fresh coconut milk, onion, vegetable, lime juice.).   And not only did Fina and Bimla teach me how to make it, they also made it for me every time I specially requested (although it’s not on the menu most of the time). We also really liked the Italian style fish… I highly recommend it if you come here and they are serving it.   It should be noted the restaurant is not only for the guest staying here, but also open to the public. There are people who traveled from other hotels or resorts to have dinner here because it’s the best restaurant in Taveuni island!

Coconut Grove attracts interesting people from all over the world. We met several couples and traveled with two couples for several tours. We shared each others stories and had great laughs together. Our experience was that everyone was down to earth and there were no snobbers here.  As opposed to a big resort, here you will get to know the other guests and get to know the staff here. Each and everyone has their unique story.

Freebies: We got a free half-hour massage on the beach because we stayed for 5 nights. We also had a free amazing romantic dinner in the little hay hut right on the beach (for comparison, in that other 5 Star resort I mentioned earlier, THEY were charging $600 fiji for a similar beach-side dinner, and in no way was that private.). Oh, and Coconut Grove also provided us free champagne because it was our honeymoon.  So… you have to stay at least 5 nights at Coconut Grove, it’s just impossible to pass on these wonderful perks.

We love Coconut Grove and we will always remember all the people (Fina, Sarah, Flori, Bimla and many others) who make it so special for us. We cannot express our gratitude in words.   Dave and Maggie

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pangeashi
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Excellent staff, wonderful accommodations, great food, and a view to die for. Ronna and her team have done a magnificent job in developing a first-rate boutique resort. I'd highly recommend it. In addition, the Coconut Grove is only a 7-minute walk from the airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Spent 5 nights in the wonderful Banana Buree. There are 3 burees in total, so very quiet and private. The staff is wonderful. My wife literally cried when we left. They were like family. Food was great.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My wife and I settled on Coconut Grove after a long search of properties offering private accomodations, from overwater bungalos in Tahiti to private homes in Hawaii. After speaking personally with Ronna, who (along with her staff) have put together the best possible vacation offer in Fiji!

The island of Taveuni is a beautiful, peaceful place that is not at all "touristy". Upon arrival, we were greated by the staff of Coconut Grove and treated to breakfast on their verandah overlooking the turquoise lagoon with the ocean just past the nearby coral reef. Coconut Grove is an absolute gem hidden lush, frangrant plantlife. Whatever we needed, they went out of their way to get for us. The food, service and accommodations were perfect.

Activities? Plenty. We spent two weeks At Coconut Grove and never once felt pressured or forced to take on any more than a casual daily activity. Kayaking, snorkeling, scuba, hiking, horseback riding, climbing and jumping from waterfalls and just enjoying the island for what it offers filled our time.

Long story short, if you're looking for a great bargain on a tropical vacation, give Coconut Grove a call, they'll take care of you from start to finish.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SLTDM
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I chose Coconut Grove because it was highly recommended as the Best place on the island from my niece's friend - who lives in Fiji. We stayed at the Coconut Grove for two delightful weeks! The important thing we consider besides the quality, value and our comfort, and food quality is really what sort of people would also be attracted to the accommodation. We met so many like minded and wonderful people at the Coconut Grove it made our stay very fun and interesting.

Ronna was so helpful from the very initial planning phase of our vacation through to the last day. I even messed up my return flight. She communicated quickly and put my mind at ease that there would be a room for the extra night we needed to stay. She runs Coconut Grove very well and it shows with the loyalty of the people that have worked there for many years.
We stayed in the Mango Burre. Which was perfect for us as it was large and could accommodate all our dive equipment and house us for 2 weeks. There is twin bed in the room too which was great for reading or playing scrabble or just setting the suitcases on. The Banana Burre is close to the beach and so furthest away from the main lodge- honeymooners may prefer this. The papaya is the smallest but still ample size and a great value! So you really can't go wrong with your selection.
The food was terrific!! Fresh, tasty, healthy and the staff were more than happy to accommodate special requests.
The staff were all so wonderful. I can't say enough about them. My husband and I personally got very close with everyone there. I felt so comfortable it was like being with a large extended family. Kata, Ester, Flori, Bimla, Fina and Serah were like sisters. And they looked after us so well. Planning our trips, cooking, doing laundry, giving such relaxing massages but most importantly laughing and joking with us. We got so close my eyes welled up tears when they sang their farewell song the day we left. Sigh. I miss them all!!
The first day there we totally connected with and made friends with two other couples, one from the US and Brits now living in New Zealand. we had the best time swapping stories, teasing and going on outings together. It was a magical stay to say the very least.

Practical matters and advice:
Guides bring food along for them too so you are not eating in front of them and please tip. The money for the guides goes directly to the village for schools, churches, and road repairs. The guides volunteer their time away the farm or other jobs to guide. They much appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Days Trips: The Lavina Coastal walk is fabulous!! We did both the kayak,swim up the river, coastal walk and the day before we left we did the boat ride along the coast to see all the water Falls and then hiked back again. Wow. Both were terrific fun. Bring tennis shoes or boots for the coastal walk. The sand got in between my Teva sandals. I was much more comfortable in sneakers.
Tavoro Falls. Give yourself the entire day. We made the mistake of going at the end of the day and were only able to make it to the first falls- which are spectacular and if you can only do that still worth the trip. But apparently it takes 45 mins to get to the second falls and another 30 to get to the third set of Falls. I wish we had hiked to all 3. This is a great trip!! Don't miss it!
Vidawa Hike: Ben was our guide and he was great. He even found a pair of Blue Crested bird, their nest with a baby still in it!! Bring along a packed lunch and enough to share with the guide. Afterwards we took a 5 minute drive down to the Tavoro Falls and went for a swim. Lovely! We convinced our driver David and Ben's wife to come along with us.
Bobby's farm: Very interesting and you get to see the rare orange pigeon. It is truly bright orange. We also saw parrots, including a baby in the nest! Leave early enough to go snorkeling. we took the rain forest hike and learned all about the plants and foods grown here. we also had the lunch (Personally, I would just bring my own food).
Diving: Please keep in mind that you can run into some really strong currents which makes diving rather challenging. I am not a super experiences diver. It made me nervous. The dive instructors/masters are more than willing to literally hold your hand for any dive you feel uncomfortable with. I strongly urge you to take advantage of their help. Your will enjoy the dive more, feeling safe and more secure. One of the friends we made at Coconut Grove made this suggestion because I was a nervous wreck about doing the White wall dive which is over 100 feet. I was so glad I held Lynn's hand throughout the dive.

Snorkeling is great! Take advantage of the kayaks at Coconut Grove. We found the best stuff was between the second and third island out. As we got closer to the ell grass we even spotted 2 turtles!! They eat the grass. The first island is home to many herons so enjoy looking but please don't disturb them. We saw a small black and white snake. They are so cute - poisonous - but not aggressive. They only use venom for prey. They are too small to actually bite you.
On The main island don't miss the Garden of the Sleeping Giant. It is so close to the airport and well worth the trip. They have thousands of orchids and it is a lovely place to just sit out on the veranda and sip tea if you have a long layover. You can store your luggage in "Left Luggage" at the airport for 5 Fiji dollars per day. It is safe and secure and you don't have to lug everything around with you. Very nice.
We had a very long layover on our way back and took a 2 hour round trip to the Kula Eco park. It is only open till 4:30 - but well worth the trip! We are so glad we went.

Massages were so wonderful and reasonably priced. Everyone there is a talented healer.

If you choose Coconut Grove you too will be delighted happy and have a great time!
The staff are all so generous with their help, suggestions and doing what ever they could to make us comfortable. We showed our appreciation with a generous donation to their Christmas fund.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong - but this is my take on the different Bures: Mango is large with an extra twin size bed - being there 2 weeks it isnice if you have a lot of baggage Banana is closet to the beach and furthest from the main lodge so maybe more private. Papaya is a fine size and excellent value.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple