“Stay away from room no 29”
Review of The Moorings Hotel

The Moorings Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Banavie
Stockholm, Sweden
“Stay away from room no 29”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I booked a single room by www.booking.com The price was 120£ including breakfast and Internet. When I came to the hotel, the friendly young lady in the reception told me that they had tried to reach me by e-mail because they had only one room left (no 29) close to the reception and it was different compared with the room I had booked.

The lady showed me the room. I could smell detergent in the small dark room. The lady told me that I could cancel the reservation but as I had seen from my car several B&B offers in the municipality with a “No vacancy”sign outside, I asked them to reduce the price. So they did. I got the room for 80£ including Internet and breakfast.

Unfortunately I couldn’t sleep that night. The bed was too hard, it smelled too much detergent, it was too much noise leakage from other guests. And the breakfast? It was OK but not more than that.

At the hotel’s nice homepage I read: “One of the most desirable hotels in the Scottish Highland”. I hardly believe that because I have seen hotels in the region much better than this! But the homepage wants to introduce the hotel as luxuary but the hotel is a three star property. However, room no 29 is absolutely only a two star room and closer to one star than three. So offer this room for 80£ is to exploit the situation that it’s not enough with rooms in this part of Scotland in August. So if they had charged 50£ for that room, it had been a normal price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Someishere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Excellent accommodation and food and the staff were VERY helpful.
Don't let the out of town location put you off as the proximity to the canal and all it's own facilities mean that there is plenty to see and do.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roisinphysio
Kilmacolm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night on our holiday further north. One arrival were shown to our room and were pleasantly surprised. We had a small lounge area with settee a couple of chairs, table and flat screen television. Bedroom area was nice with plenty of wardrobe space. Bathroom was also good size.Had a meal in the bar area which was beginning to get busy. Found the service to be very attentive.
Breakfast in the morning was mainly table service and very nice.
Overall I found the hotel to be very nice and the staff very helpful.
I would have no hesitation in booking again.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

was very worried after reading reviews, but have to say really surprised room lovely and clean.
the restaurant and bar food both tasty even for a fussy husband and unlike other reviews we both found staff extremely friendly and efficent thanks we will be back

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank fergie090
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I stayed here just a few days ago with my partner. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very spacious with views of the canal and Ben Nevis. We ate in the restaurant as it was a special occasion! The food was fantastic and the service first class! The hotel is within very easy reach of the town centre will definatly be back!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I visited the Moorings Hotel during a very fortunate period of nice weather in Scotland and enjoyed it immensely. We booked a standard room origanilly but were upgraded on arrival to a superior room that enjoyed views of the Neptune's Staircase and the mighty Ben Nevis. The staff were very friendly throughout and the food in the restaurant was well above expectations. The girls on reception were very helpful and managed to book us on the Hogwart Express that runs from Fort William to Mallaig - delighted my partner as she is a huge Harry Potter fan :)

Will certainly be back!!!

Scotland
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We chose the Moorings for our 2 night stay at Fort William because of the reviews and it's location. The location is lovely, right on Neptune's Stairway, and this is definately the best aspect of the hotel. We enjoyed stolling beside the canal and watching the boats move through the locks.
The hotel itself is ok. It is very dated (circ 1980's decor) and with little amenities. The freshly cooked breakfasts are a plus if you like a fry up. The healthier cold buffet option is adequate. We ate in the bar on our first night but gave it a miss on the second. My fish special was ok but my husbands burger was thin, dry and without much taste. The service fell apart half way through when we had to chase for my dessert after half an hour and after drinking our coffees which should have been served after the dessert.
Our bedroom was small and adequately furnished with little room to move around. Only one half of the wardrobe could be opened because the furniture was so squashed. It was clean enough but had a damp or "toilet" smell which was only kept at bay by having the windows in both bedroom and bathroom open all the time. We were lucky to have good summer weather, but had it been cold then the open window trick wouldn''t have been an option.
At £130 a night for B&B, I feel the hotel is overpriced. When I booked I thought the cost would be justified by the hotel offering some unique factor, like outstanding food and/or service/decor etc but it is a fairly average small hotel in need of a makeover and worth no more than £100 a night in high season.

2 Thank ScotlandArtDeco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banavie
Nevis Bank Inn
#10 of 21 in Fort William
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
#13 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The Moorings Hotel? Share your experiences!