Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Factor's House(Fort William)
View Hotel
Nevis Bank Inn(Fort William)
Alexandra Hotel(Fort William)
  • Restaurant
Imperial Hotel(Fort William)
View Hotel
Bank Street Lodge(Fort William)
Ossian's Hotel(Fort William)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsneptune's staircasecaledonian canalnew extensionbistro restaurantben nevissuperior roomlovely hotelbar mealsbottled waterlounge bartwo night staylovely roomthe jacobite steam trainspent two nightsfort williamroom was largedining room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just back to our hotel after having lounge bar food at The Moorings. We were not impressed at all, in fact this was the first occasion during our holiday that we did not leave a tip! We both had chicken dishes - one was Balmoral chicken - breast stuffed with haggis in a Ben Nevis Whiskey sauce - sounded fab. But that's where it ended - the breast had not been trimmed of its muscle (?) and was desperately pale, dry and tough. The whiskey sauce was rather glutinous in appearance and I think the pan must have just been "shown" the bottle! A member of the waiting staff asked us if we were happy with the food, then answered his own question "yes, yes, yes" so we joined in .......yes, yes - but it was a no really. It was the last evening of our holiday in the area and it seemed churlish to complain at the time because after all - what could they have done?

I've always hankered after eating in this hotel, in fact I was extremely disappointed to not be able to book ourselves in there for a 3 night stay. Thank goodness it was fully booked.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GenerousScot
Manager-Moorings, Public Relations Manager at The Moorings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear GenerousScot,

Thank you for your feedback. I must apologise for your experience with us when you came for a meal in our Lounge Bar. This is not the usual experience for people dining with us and I am very sorry to see that your dining experience was not a positive one. Had this been brought to the attention of the manager then this matter could have been dealt with more fully at the time. Your feedback will be passed on to our Head Chef in order to ensure that this does not occur again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Moorings benefits from a great location on the caledonian canal. The bar food was excellent. I can recommend the seabass. The room was very clean and well furnished. The service felt personal and The staff called to check if I was having breakfast as I forgot the time and stayed open a bit later to accommodate me. I will definitely use them again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Shirley M,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here with us. We really appreciate all your comments and I am delighted to see that all aspects of your stay were positive. Our staff genuinely enjoy chatting to our guests and making them feel at home during their stay.

We hope you will be back in the area again in the future as we would be delighted to welcome you back for another stay here with us.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Big disappointment, eaten at the Moorings in the past and it has never be as bad as my experience last night. If you are a fan of fast efficient service, a well poured beer and good steak cooked to order just the way you like it, don't bother coming here. Shocking!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank john A

Dear john A,

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise for the experience you had here with us. This is very disappointing to read and I am eager to find out more about your experience to ensure this does not happen in the future. If you wish to get in touch and give us some more information, then please contact me on niamh@moorings-fortwilliam.co.uk.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a really comfortable and friendly hotel. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, who always have a smile on their faces.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean, while the reception rooms are lovely, with great views of Ben Nevis and the locks, Neptune's Steps. As for the restaurant, the food is exceptional: a wonderful menu of great Scottish delights, all beautifully plated up and then served with a smile.
Lovely memories!

Room Tip: A room at the back gives a great view of the lock and you can watch the boats passing through.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn H

Dear Carolyn H,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review. I am delighted that we made you feel quite at home on your stay with us. Our staff are excellent and genuinely enjoy chatting and getting to know our guests as I'm sure you experienced. It is wonderful that your meal in the restaurant was so memorable, our team of chefs work hard to source their ingredients locally where possible, which only enhances the flavours of the dishes served.

I hope we can welcome you back to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I am swithering on whether or not to say this should or shouldn't be a 4 star hotel: Plus points: very clean, exceptionally friendly staff, good(ish) pub food type menu, STUNNING location, our room was big, pleasantly decorated with amazing views over Neptune's Staircase at the canal and up to Ben Nevis. Very comfortable bed, good pilows. Big bathroom (decor leaves a bit to be desired in the bathroom) and our cooked breakfast the following morning was very good and the breakfast staff were so nice and cheerful and the hotel gardens are small but gorgeous and we only realised after we had eaten our breakfast you can eat your breakfast outside in the sunshine.

Negative points: Decor in the bar, restaurant, function suite - while the hotel is very clean, I feel like I was transported back to the 80's. Lots of pine woodwork, bad carpets, very average looking reception area, we arrived early for check in at 12.30pm as I explained we would when booking our rooms and there is no secure left luggage room, we were taken to the staff cloakroom and we could leave our luggage there, it did the job. Food: Average pub grub. Nothing special. Breakfast - the cold buffet was allright, the plum my friend brought back to the table had a big splodge of mold on it. Did we enjoy ourselves - yes. Would we go back - yes. is it 4 stars - not sure. Perhaps 3.5. I would say a 7 out of 10. £155 for our larger room including breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 26 which has stunning views but a long long long way from reception.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Manager-Moorings, Public Relations Manager at The Moorings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Valentine-Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Thank you for all of your feedback, it is much appreciated. The comments on our staff are great and I am delighted that your room was spacious, comfortable and decorated to your taste. We do update the decor on a rolling basis throughout the hotel, with some parts of the building being more newly decorated than others. It is not always to everyone's taste but we hope that the service and experience received can outweigh the impact of the decor for those that do not appreciate it. Hopefully and as your review would suggest, this was the case for you. I am delighted to read that you would come back and stay with us again in the future and I do hope that you will so that we can give you another great experience with us, but next time even better.