“bad service”
Review of The Moorings Hotel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Banavie
Reviewed 11 August 2014

my partner and myself and a friend stopped at this hotel on sat 9th august 2014 approx. at 1o,clock in the afternoon just looking for a cup of tea and a toastie ,my partner ordered a pint of lager I ordered a tuna n onion sandwich and a pot of tea for two my friend then ordered a cheese n pickle sandwich when the tea was brought which was met with a roll if the eyes .We waited and waited then I had to ask for his sandwich again which another waitress brought with a smile and apology .It was obvious the first girl had not bothered to order from kitchen .This is a shame as only the second time in there and was impressed the first time but wont be back .If a place can charge £17.9o for the above they can ALL provide good service

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank sharon k
Manager-Moorings, Public Relations Manager at The Moorings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear sharon k,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience.
I do apologise for the wait you experienced for your friends sandwich, however I am glad another member of staff managed to rectify this for you. I will have management look into the issue with the waiting staff as they should of course put each order through to the kitchen.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I thought I had left a review but seems I didn't, I don't often but on this occasion felt this hotel really warranted a mention,from the moment we stepped inside the door we were made to feel extremely welcome. The receptionist was superb I think she was called Karen,I worried that this girl was being overworked as we later met her in the bar and later still in the dining room and again next morning at breakfast. Our room and bathroom were huge ! Bed very comfy, towels best I have come across in an hotel. Bathrobes,chocs,Internet water all complimentary, something the big chains would do well to note ( the double tree in edinburgh wanted £15 a day!!, even the buses have free wifi). We dined in the hotel and it was delicious every part of it,service was quick and very pleasant. I would highly recommend this hotel and just wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brenda483

Dear Brenda483,

Thank you for writing us such an exceptional review. We really appreciate your comments and are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay here with us. I think it was possibly one of our Assistant Managers that checked you in, she would have been doing an evening shift followed by a morning shift the next day, which does give the impression that they are here all the time. Thanks again for such a lovely review and we hope we can welcome you back in the future, maybe for longer next time.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Recently stayed here with the family and we had a lovely stay.

Room was very clean, service was friendly and breakfast tasty & filling.

Great place to stay to explore the area, particularly worth heading up to visit morar and on up to Mallaig nice location next to the canal and just a 5 minute drive into fort william itself.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank simon h
Manager-Moorings, Public Relations Manager at The Moorings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear simon h,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am delighted to see that you were happy with your room and enjoyed our tasty breakfast options to fuel you up for the day.

We hope you had an excellent time exploring Fort William and the surrounding area and if you still have more exploring to do, we would love to welcome you back for another stay with us.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Super nice hotel... in excellent condition, and amenities included plush bathrobes. Besides the great view of Neptune's Ladder from my window, there is also a simple lovely garden to explore.
The meals were uniformly excellent, and the staff friendly & helpful.
As with many older hotels, it took a bit of exploring to find my room, but it was worth it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kitty E,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay here with us. I am delighted to see that you were happy with all aspects of your stay. I will pass your comments on to the staff. If you are back visiting Scotland again in the future then we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived in Fort William late and were advised that the Mooring hotel provide good and sensibly priced food.

It was busy wet Saturday evening, we were advised that there was a delay of 20mins for food. A couple arrived next to us and they ordered them we got chatting, after 30mins their food arrived! We were not impressed! They were residents we were not, surely it's not preferencially on that basis! BUT it was cold and they sent it back! Ours then turned up another 15mins later, WARM, it had to be sent back, I didn't fancy food poisoning!

The food was average pub food, nothing special, place was clean but tables were sticky. Would we go again after that experience? No.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Mishmosh88

Dear Mishmosh88,

Thank you for your feedback. I do apologise for the wait that you experienced in the bar for your meal. Regarding the couple who ordered after you and received their meal before you, this could be down to a couple of reasons. Everything is cooked to order in our kitchen so depending on the dishes ordered, the cooking time can be longer for some dishes than it is for others, as I am sure you can appreciate. If there had been a mix up at the bar when your order was put through which potentially could have caused the delay, I do sincerely apologise for this. I hope you brought this to the attention of our manager and that your complaint was dealt with.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Rather than leave a bad review can the owners or managers eat elsewhere and at the moorings

You will then be able to see where you are going wrong.
The pannini gave the impression it came out of the freezer before being cooked instead of being fresh. I suggest you go to the Ben Nevis inn and compare it to one of their panninis.

Please take this constructively. You will really notice a huge difference. I was going to order cake after my sandwich but decided against it because of quality.

If you cater for the over 80s maybe the prawn sandwich is OK, the soup tasteless.

Very disappointed.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lsinshirley

Isinshirley,

Thank you for your feedback. We do take your comments on board and absolutely appreciate constructive criticism, as this helps us to improve. I do taste the soup on a daily basis and have to say that I do not find it tasteless, however this is a very personal opinion. I have passed on your comments to the head chef who will take action.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just back to our hotel after having lounge bar food at The Moorings. We were not impressed at all, in fact this was the first occasion during our holiday that we did not leave a tip! We both had chicken dishes - one was Balmoral chicken - breast stuffed with haggis in a Ben Nevis Whiskey sauce - sounded fab. But that's where it ended - the breast had not been trimmed of its muscle (?) and was desperately pale, dry and tough. The whiskey sauce was rather glutinous in appearance and I think the pan must have just been "shown" the bottle! A member of the waiting staff asked us if we were happy with the food, then answered his own question "yes, yes, yes" so we joined in .......yes, yes - but it was a no really. It was the last evening of our holiday in the area and it seemed churlish to complain at the time because after all - what could they have done?

I've always hankered after eating in this hotel, in fact I was extremely disappointed to not be able to book ourselves in there for a 3 night stay. Thank goodness it was fully booked.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GenerousScot
Manager-Moorings, Public Relations Manager at The Moorings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear GenerousScot,

Thank you for your feedback. I must apologise for your experience with us when you came for a meal in our Lounge Bar. This is not the usual experience for people dining with us and I am very sorry to see that your dining experience was not a positive one. Had this been brought to the attention of the manager then this matter could have been dealt with more fully at the time. Your feedback will be passed on to our Head Chef in order to ensure that this does not occur again in the future.

The Moorings Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banavie
Nevis Bank Inn
#14 of 21 in Fort William
Cruachan Hotel
Cruachan Hotel
#13 of 21 in Fort William

Been to The Moorings Hotel? Share your experiences!