“Good food sloppy service hence 3/5”
Review of The Stagg Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Titley
The Stagg Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Titley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I'm not surprised that the food here won a Michelin star, it looked good, was well cooked, it was multilayered, multitextured and multiflavoured. It screamed out - "eat me".
It's pleasing to see Michelin reward excellent food and not just table presentation, ironed table cloths and fancy glasses/cutlery with overpowering waiters.
The comments I'm about to make do take into account the fact that it is a pub with a restuarant. However, it is rated by Michelin, at the same level as Mr Underhills, less than 15 miles away. If I get to heaven one day I hope that the cafe there is a clone of Mr Underhills.
The service, at The Stagg, however, fell well short of what I have previously experienced in over 30 Michelin starred restuarants I've been fortunate enough to visit.
Plates were just dropped down, not correctly placed, on the table mat. The cinamon milk was spilt.
There was no explanation for the food delivered. The pre starter was home made crisps + frothed balsamic vinegar. However for all we knew they could have been Tryrells crisps, because no-one told us what they were or indeed what the frothy brown liquid that accompanied them was. I don't normally consume dark brown frothy liquid!!! How does the saying go - "you eat with your eyes". To establish what it was we had to ask! The wooden block they were on was dropped half on the bare table and half on my place mat, wobbling at a weird angle. I'm not being pernickety, details such as these should be second nature at restuarants with this reputation. This sloppy service persisted throughout the meal.
I left with a feeling of frustration because the food was really very good. The choice of desserts was so good that I could have eaten each and every one. The trio of creme brûlée (vanilla, coffee & lavender) my partner ordered was exceptional. My dessert of cinnamon donuts was also delicious.
The chef here is obviously a very talented cook, it's a pity that sloppy service let him down. However, I will be eating here again, and am looking forward to doing so.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Went for a silver wedding celebration.Had been looking forward to our meal at the Stagg Inn for a long time as we are a group of friends that eat out together most Saturday nights. Lovely food could not fault it , but felt a little rushed glasses and plates were whipped away a little too quickly sometimes before everyone had finished their food . Felt a little awkward as if we were keeping staff when they wanted to go home especially after our bill came to a large sum of money. Cheese board was imense could not fault it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BRYNDUGUESTS
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We'd been looking forward to the meal as a belated birthday treat - what a let down. We were four minutes late (it is in the middle of nowhere and sign posting isn't brilliant) but were rushed to a table and pressed for an order within two minutes. There was no mention of a need to consider additional side dish vegetables. Our starter arrived before we had even had a chance to order the wine! Plates were whipped away before I'd even put my fork down. Having said that the food was great - lamb was suberb. It was all let down by service that just wasn't up to standard - lovely cheese board but huge portions given that swamped the few water biscuits available. Young staff were pleasant but seemed rather amaturishly 'chatty' and not familiar with silver service never mind a so called M * e.g. port had thick sediment in the bottom of both glasses.
Good food but I expect better service at £150 for a meal for two.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susan h
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Spent the night of June 30th at the Stagg. Staff welcoming. Accommodation excellent. Breakfast superb. Strongly recommended for anyone looking for quality stay in the area

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We had been recommended the Stagg Inn by the Old Vicarage at Norton and we were not dissapointed. As vegetarians it is often difficult to find a decent and different dinner out . The staff were all great and very attentive. The atmosphere was relaxing and all the food was delicious. We eagerly awaited each course and were not dissapointed. The cost was £55 for two of us with drinks.- So not bad at all for the quality- we will definately go again when we are in the area. The only problem is that you definately have to book to not be dissapointed.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

A perfect evening away with my other half and the dog (yes, they are dog friendly). Instantly relaxing, with a very warm welcome and truly beautiful food. All the staff were very friendly and chatty. All in all a wonderful experience in a beautiful part of the Country.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Lovely location in Hereford shire country, good cooking, not 100% sure it's worth a Michelin star but very food anyway and ok value for money.
Staff were not as attentive as I would have thought and we were never table checked though the whole meal.

Over all not bad for one star pub grub.

• Stayed: June 2012

Been to The Stagg Inn? Share your experiences!