“Food is good. Front-of-house poor. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Stagg Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Titley
The Stagg Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Titley B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“Food is good. Front-of-house poor. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We've had several visits to The Stagg over the years (we are local to the area). The food is consistently good. However the welcome to the 'pub' is consistently very bad. There was some slight improvement on our last visit. However I am constantly perplexed that The Stagg continues to receive food awards. Surely eating out is about the whole dining experience!? I wonder much longer the poor front of house can hide behind the accomplished menu? Occasionally we return hoping the front of house will have changed but alas we are still greeted with the same ignorance and rudeness.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank LexyCally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Delft, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I walked in here after having done a 20 mile walk, unaware that it had a Michelin star (muddy boots and al...). It was after 2 pm, so they had stopped serving food, but they let me use the toilet; when I came out they said they would do food for me after all! I had a great ploughmans salad, where I could choose from about 20 cheeses, and great homemade bread and baked apple. Pity I had no space left for dessert!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

This really is a very good (expensive) place to eat. One might think its only for the local great and good (there were lots of them when we arrived) but despite being covered in mud, we were found a delightfully quiet table and treated to a fantastic meal. Can't recommend it more highly.

Stayed April 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the rooms above the restaurant on Saturday night, and ate dinner there the same evening.

Our food was delicious and beautifully presented, and the service was attentive yet discreet. We had drinks in the bar both before and after dinner (the Elderflower and Prosecco cocktail is wonderful), and Barney and the other waiting staff couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming.

Our room was lovely and the bed was super comfortable. Breakfast the following morning was delicious, with attentive service once again.

We had a fabulous night away at The Stagg Inn and would definitely return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Marlborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We never leave disappointed. Wonderful food thoughtfully served and attention to detail is evidently top of the priority list! Lovely friendly and professional staff, delicious food, great wine selection, perfect setting and I can't recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: This is a delightful venue with very caring and considerate owners who ensure you have the best visi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have been visiting the Stagg for many years now. The food has always been excellent, and is, if anything getting better! On our last visit, both mine and my wife's starter were superb, I loved my steak tartare and she raved about her beautifully presented mackerel. The main courses and puddings were also excellent.

However, I have do agree with previous reviewers about the dismissive and blasé nature of the Stagg's male host. His lacklustre manner and plain rudeness, is not the sort of customer service I expect, or am used to from an establishment of the Stagg's undoubted quality. I will be back, the food alone justifies this five star rating, but in future I sincerely hope to be treated with more warmth and attentiveness.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We have stayed and eaten at the Stagg Inn 3 times over the past 4 years as it is on the doorstep of a green burial site where my mum is laid to rest. We always stay at The Old Vicarage and really enjoy the characterful and very quiet rooms there. Each time we harbour high hopes for the evening meal and each time come away satisfied but not delighted. This trip was no different. Delicious starters (scallops for me, mackerel for my husband) and my husband liked his belly pork main course. My duck confit was flavoursome but let down by uncooked potatoes. Given its Michelin status and prices the main courses lack flair and originality. The amuse bouche underwhelming. Good choice of wines and ciders by the glass. Service was friendly and super efficient - just a hint of being on a conveyor belt but it was a busy Friday night. The young chap who seated us and took our order and the young clearing waitress were charming and did a lot to make up for the somewhat off hand manner of the Stagg's male host. I like the Stagg Inn and would certainly stay again as it serves us well. The test is would I take friends or clients there for dinner unless they lived nearby - probably not.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Edinburghelf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titley
The Swan at Hay
The Riverside Inn & Restaurant
The Radnorshire Arms
The Radnorshire Arms
#2 of 13 in Presteigne

Been to The Stagg Inn? Share your experiences!