“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Cross Inn
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We called at "The Honey Farm" expecting to see hives and and a demonstration of beekeeping outside, but there was just a loft with some exhibits which they wanted to charge us £3.75 to enter. We had a cream tea when we arrived which was delicious, perfect scones & lots of cream and jam. However the ladies working there were unfriendly and served us without a smile. Our party of 4 adults were courteous but were met with a distinct feeling of not being welcome. There was also a shop.

It was so different from everyone else in the New Quay area who were without exception helpful, welcoming, polite and gave us excellent service.

All reviews
"staying nearby"
"home made"
"family ticket"

Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

As a family with young children, it provided a nice hour or so out of the wet and windy weather. We enjoyed learning lots and seeing the live displays, and children enjoyed the ants, dressing up, and drawing pictures. The cafe had lovely scones and lemon cake! Honey was good value, and lots of interesting things on sale.

1  Thank Family1978
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My partner and I went here for the day last bank holiday Monday and it was brilliant.
The exhibition was £3.75 and I thought it was cracking value. There's 5 live bee colonies to see and loads of information to read. There's also a leaf-curing ant colony to see which is also very cool.
I don't really understand why anyone would think it was poor value - there's plenty to see/do; bees are intetesting and you make the most of it. I mean, I could have watched the bees working away for hours and £3.75 for an adult is hardly bank breaking is it?
The shop is full of really nice and delicious things. We tried some honey and mead and thought it was great. Got a few little things as well. It's a good place to get gifts for people. Plus, always nice to buy locally sourced stuff instead of giving all your money to Tesco.
Anyway, on to the best thing about this place - THE CREAM TEA. I ordered one and wow, what a treat. I got two scones, cream, butter, honey lemon curd and a pot of tea for £4! It was amazing. My partner had the honey ice cream which he thought was fantastic too.
This is an interesting place to go in beautiful, quaint surroundings and I'd recommend it. The grub is amazing too! Go an support the bees before we have none left!

1  Thank Caru_hydd
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We arrived late in the day so we did not have time to see the attraction upstairs. The price seemed high for 2 adults.
Looking by the other comments - others agree.The shop has a wide variety of honey,jams mead,and beer.We bought some honey and beer.We did not try the tearoom.
The farm is in a beautiful location, especially on a sunny day.
Honey farm - I think not .

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 November 2012

From the leaflet we had at our cottage, this sounded really interesting. While it was somewhat informative and interesting, I think that they charge too much. It really can only keep you occupied for 30 minutes max, unless you watch a lot of the video of some Australian beekeeper, filmed in the late 70's/early 80's. The ants were entertaining!

The staff in the shop and the cafe appeared to be there under duress, and weren't particularly welcoming. The chocolate and ginger honey cake was nice, but the soup was rather bland and unpleasant. Would not recommend staying for lunch - coffee and cake only!

As someone else mentioned, the meadery was not really open. You could go into the room and see a poster and some large stainless steel vats, but that was it.

1  Thank 2giraffes_11