“Worst, dirtiest hotel ever”

Econo Lodge Southwest
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
minnesota
“Worst, dirtiest hotel ever”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I am not usually a complainer, but this was the worst hotel room we have ever seen. After 11 hours on the road, the lobby was decently clean, so we checked in. The room was filthy, windows filthy, ceiling water stained and mildewed. Tub grout was cracked and moldy; we refused to shower, or even take our socks off. Dust/cobwebs hung from lamps. Furniture was paint splattered. Coffee maker had not been emptied, but even after I emptied and cleaned it, it did not work. Multiple cigarette burns on bedspread. Trash on outer walkway and several exterior lights not working. Trash cans around the property overflowing. Stairway window broken, jagged edges and glass littered around. Lobby women's restroom was filthy, sink gouged and stained, hot water tap did not produce any water, light fixtures were stored in the stall, soap dispenser was empty. I was overcharged, not given my discount, my member # was not recorded and I was charged for a phone not used. On checkout, the clerk asked how the room was and when I said it was the worst pit I'd ever seen, his response was, "Well, how was breakfast?"

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank stephandjack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
santa fe
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We knew we weren't going to be staying at a high-end hotel... But this was just disgusting! There was food crumbs all over the floor... Hair and dirt in the bathroom... Scum on the toilet lid... And a bathtub that didn't drain. Needless to say, we didn't even stay the night!

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank mfartist

Travellers are raving about these Sunset Hills hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I will NEVER ever stay at this hotel again. I was quoted a rate, but when I checked my bank statement, quite a bit more was taken out. I was told there was a pet DEPOSIT of $25, when instead I was CHARGED $20. When I confronted the so-called manager, I was told "The room rate was not what I was quoted and I can charge you what I want because you signed a registration card." I told her she was being rude, and she got loud and hung up on me. The first night, we had to change rooms, because there was no internet access or A/C. The second night we had to shower in a different room because our room had no hot water. I would have been a steady customer having to come to that area once a month, and should have been treated right to maintain my business. The manager should not be a manager, no business tact whatsoever. The only good thing to say about the experience, was that the other people that worked the front desk were very personable.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ELaCoste
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed here a few nights in Oct of 2011 and got a King room on the second floor non smoking (you can smoke right outside the door). The second floor ended up being much less busy than the first floor. The room and bed were nice - down comforter and good sheets and comfortable. It was really quite decent. This is a good central location and you can hop right on highway 44 and go to Forest Park (huge park that is really cool and has all the museums and an awesome bike and running trail around the perimeter - for bike rentals, go to city cycling tours dot com). The breakfast was decent - waffles and biscuits and gravy and cereal and drinks. The hot tub didn't put out much power but the indoor pool is nice. On site restaurant and very close to lots of restaurants (St. Louis Bread Co is across the street). Overall very decent stay. Lobby had computer to use and they let me print my travel stuff. The on site bar and restaurant (mexican) were good too...would recommend if you like to stay in a moderate priced hotel.

Room Tip: Get a non smoking room on 2nd floor - quieter and I think they are used less.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
South Dakota
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We booked this motel based on name and price. Got into St Louis later when it was dark and used the GPS to find it. Checking in was complicated by the fact that their computer system was down but went smoothly and with no problems. Room was clean and comfortable. Could not use the pool or hot tub but used the motel's WiFi to schedule the next days' activities. Had a lot of motorcycles parked next to us but they were an older group and we got a good night's sleep. Breakfast was as advertised and no problems. They could not print out a receipt for us (same computer problem) but sent us on our way with a hand written one.

Room Tip: Older motel-outside access to rooms; not a real concern. Food next door.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Its the dumps... 1st on entry of our room... we found roaches and a spider. i talked with the night shift duty person. and he tried to find another room for us, but the 2 we looked at smelled horrible like smoke.( we have 3 girls 7 9 11)... he said to talk with Danielle the manager and the would straighten it out....so on returning into our room i was going to take a shower...coming to find out the was very little water coming out of the faucet on the hot side.... returning to the office again( he logged all)...in short i ended up showering in their pool house shower... up next morning talking to Danielle coming to find out the owner was there.... and he was not willing to do anything to make any of it right.... so the best... we are outside waiting for their maintenance man to look at the shower and here comes a guy out of a courtyard room(the guy that was fixing 1 of their parking lot lights the night before) (10ish am) walking in his underwear across the courtyard to his truck to get dressed..... and then in the end the owner tells us that he could charge us for that day also because its past checkout.... I wished i would have taken pictures....

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank charles t
Katherine, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Some reviews of the hotel almost made me rethink staying here, but we decided to give it a try. When we arrived there was a drunk lady in the parking lot walking around. But the man at the counter was very nice. Our rooms were updated and very clean. We' ve been traveling for sometime so our car is packed full, so I was a little worried with it being in the parking lot, but from our room we could see our car, and everything was still there in the morning. Despite the negative reviews, we were quite pleased and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunset Hills
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard
Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
BEST WESTERN Kirkwood Inn
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills
TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Brentwood

Been to Econo Lodge Southwest? Share your experiences!