“Terrible is an understatement” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Southwest

Econo Lodge Southwest
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
nunya
“Terrible is an understatement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Do not ever stay in this hotel. Dirty rooms. Dirty towels. Horrible customer service. It doesn't matter how cheap the hotel is this was disgusting. I was promised by two separate people a discounted rate of 45.00 and was charged 89.99 + tax. We were woken up at 6 AM by a construction worker drilling on our roof. We had to scream at each other to hear. It woke up several guests, we calmly told the african american "manager" that this was happening and she immediately started screaming profanities at us because we were "white". Do not leave your underage children at this hotel, the night clerk gives out alcohol to underage teens. Horrible horrible hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel at all.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank kaywindz
shaiqamir, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Southwest, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
I would like to apologize for the way the guest felt she was treated. We do not have access to the choice employee discounted rate as a walk in guest. The choice employee's rate (our franchisor) is only possible online through their employer. Yes, we did have construction on our roof but it was at a later time. At our facility we are colored blind to everyone; no one is treated differently because of skin color or racial ethnic. I have managed this facility for the last 3 years and have been praised numberous times and have received appreication letters from quite a few guest. It is shocking to hear for the first time that our night employee provided alcohol to children. They have been with us for over 2 years and we never experienced or heard about them. In our neighborhood, we provide services to our guest at a very comparative rates to other hotels in our area. We provide more services and amenities than is required by our franchisor; hot breakfast, indoor hot tub and heated pool, mini microwave and refrigerator, iron and iron board, and coffee makers in all rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Had our worst experience ever (in over 20 years of traveling)! This hotel was dirty, noisy and just nasty. The place hasn't been updated in probably 30 years. We walked out to our car to leave with some of our stuff, planning to return to the room to get the rest of our stuff and by the time we walked back to the room (50 feet from our car), someone was already in our room with our stuff (including my husband's cell phone in their hand)! Killed 1 roach and 2 spiders... we were grossed out by this place. As we left the place, there was a strong oder of pot smoke. Never again!

Room Tip: Horrible experience, do not stay here!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CTBIRCH

Travellers are raving about these Sunset Hills hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

We had booked rooms in advanced based on an experience my parents had at another hotel. They got the name wrong and thought it was this one. My oh my, were they mistaken! The room given to them was decent enough, however, the door didn't lock AT ALL and wound up having to be moved into a nasty room. Our room had what looked like blood splatters on the wall, holes in the door, cracks in the walls, mold on the ceilings, no seals around the door, dirty linens, there were "short and curlies" on the wash cloths and towels (I used my own), ancient dirt crusted around the edges of the floor so deep it looked as though it had never been cleaned. Floors hadn't been vaccumed and it smelled funny. No sound proofing, so the noise from screaming kids living next door in the middle of the night, arguing adults, assorted other sounds that will remain unmentioned, kept us awake nearly all night. It was dirty, noisy, and the staff was rude. When I told the manager of the lock problem on my parents door he said it would be fixed right away. Several hours later someone new was at the desk that knew nothing about it and the problem hadn'[t been resoved, so communication between staff is obviously poor and upkeep of the property is terrible.
FOR THOSE BRAGGING ABOUT SUCH A GOOD DEAL, WE STAYED AT A LUXURIOUS MARRIOT THE FOLLOWING NIGHT FOR $10 MORE. Granted, we had some discounts in place. Still, if they had been willing to not charge our credit card (and we still don't know exactly how MUCH they'll be charging us, weren't given a receipt), we'd have stayed elsewhere. The lady at the desk said that she couldn't cancel the reservation because her computer was down and we'd be charged for the room anyway.
Stay away, stay away, stay away. Don't make a reservation here, it's not worth the risk. Pay $20 more and put yourself in a luxurious bed and breakfast downtown. Do anything. Just don't stay here. Trust me. The positive reviews are either from staff members, or from someone who managed to get the ONE nice room in the place before the doorknob was broken off. NASTY!!!

Room Tip: Go anywhere else in the city. Anywhere.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank lkw012000
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

It amazes me what people expect in this price range. Good indoor pool/hot tub, clean room, no frills, older hotel, typical old-school motel with doors outside facing the parking lot. No lift to the 2nd floor (do the housekeepers carry the laundry down by hand?). I don't know what the chances are that you'll get the same front-desk person if you stay, but for our 1-night, she was extremely accommodating, helpful, and patient. What else can you ask for in this price range?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Motel is now Econo Lodge, and in the process of upgrading. My room was very clean and roomy. Brand new Frig and Micro-wave. Nice desk with plenty of work space, and great office chair. Wi-Fi is excellent. Nice enclosed pool and new Hot-tub. The Hot breakfast is nice-Biscuit & Gravy or Waffles plus the usual fare. This a fine lodging for extended stay, was there for 7 days. Great location with lots of food choices close by, plus shopping. The owners are doing well with the upgrade, and it shows. Would make this my first choice if I ever return. The price was a great value for the money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

While traveling through St. Louis, I called Choice Hotels to make a reservation. I made a reservation for 2 rooms and unfortunately, I guaranteed them. I called not 5 minutes later to cancel and was told I could not. I find that this inflexibility was unacceptable. After checking the hotel rat ing, I did not feel that we could stay there. The General Manager refused to talk to me and had a desk agent say she was the GM. I have worked in the hotel business for 25+ years, and never have been treated so rudely. Bad Hotel.....Bad Management....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank judy614
New Caney, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I travel for work and usually have to stay at hotels for several days. Therefore I need a room w/ microwave and fridge. After grocery shopping, came back to room to find the fridge did not work. Had to keep all my food in the lobby's fridge for 2 days before they could fix my fridge. Also had housekeeping show up to clean my room after 5pm, which was not convenient at all. Probably will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
BEST WESTERN Kirkwood Inn
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills
TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton

Been to Econo Lodge Southwest? Share your experiences!