“Car broken into in parking lot. This hotel = dilapidated”

Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
GreenLeadersGold level
Prairie Village, Kansas
“Car broken into in parking lot. This hotel = dilapidated”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My company vehicle was broken into when theives punctured the door just below the lock and pried up the lock. Luckily there was nothing of value in the vehicle. (see picture)

I used to stay here quite a bit, but the place has gone downhill fast. I hear during this last stay when my car was broken into, that the owner is trying to sell and will not invest another dime in the property. I thought it stranget that they have been touting a "FULL REMODEL" underway for the past 2 years with construction signs everywhere. Maybe that is to cover up the state of disrepair this hotel has fallen into.

I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one without mold
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank aswitzer44
clarice01, Owner at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
My name is Chris and I'm the owner/operator of the Holiday Inn southwest. It was very unfortunate that your car was broken into. The world we live in is ever changing and there are people out there that do mean,bad things to others for no reason but to gain something for themselves. You happened to be a victim just as thousands of victim's like yourself, whether in a hotel parking lot,shopping mall and even your driveway at your own house. I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience to you. The hotel is in the middle of a renovation and yes it is going by slower then we would like it to. Our guest is are FIRST priority and we don't want to disrupt our guest. We are waiting for a slower time to start up again. As the owner of the hotel I woud like to say that we are not for sale, if someone told you this then I'm here to say that it's not true. I would appreciate the opportunity to have you give us another try at the hotel, my direct line 314-620-2153 . I also want to thank you for you comments, Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I come to St.Louis a few times per year and always stay at the Holiday Inn while visiting family. I have always had a good time and enjoyed great service from the staff. I must sat that my last trip was the best yet! I was delightfully suprised when I reached my room and walked into a Complete and newly renovated room. I often times stay at the top tier hotels but have always enjoyed the location of the Holiday Inn. The new room I had was so modern and well appointed that I must say it could contend with many of the top tier hotels I have been in. From what the staff has told me the entire hotel is being revamped and I can't wait to see it.

• Stayed July 2011
Toni H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. We look forward to your future visits to St. Louis!
Park Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Just ok - went for a family event. They tried hard but missed the mark, on food, service, decor....what you would expect for a holiday inn. At the event there was no tea, no drink service, barely enough dessert, but they sure were big on the huge trays of carrots and beans!

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I can't believe Priceline has this hotel listed as a 3-star hotel. This place is filthy. The lobby looks nice but once you get beyond you quickly notice the condition of the hotel.

The first thing you will notice is the smell. I'm not sure what kind of smell it is. It is a combination between wet, dirt, must and mold. When you look down you can see the condition of the carpets. There is a lot of dirt.

The hotel elevator is old and dirty. It is like riding up in a freight elevator.

Some of the non-smoking rooms are anything but. I walked in to mine and I could tell immediately it was not a non-smoking room. I went back downstairs and asked for a new room. They were nice and obliged.

The room was nice and cool when I got in to it. I went over to adjust the AC unit and noticed it was starting to come out of the wall. On top of that, I could see daylight in the gap between the unit and the wall. Later that night I was adjusting the AC unit and I could see mud (or something) caked in the air grate where the air going in to the room passes through. DISGUSTING! I would guess that 30% to 40% of the grate was covered in the material plugging it up. This might explain why my head was all stuffy later that night making it difficult to go to sleep.

The shower had decent water pressure. All of a sudden the water was pulsating and I had thought I had adjusted the shower head to massage. Then I could hear something that sounded like a water pump. I have a feeling others were using the showers at the same time and it was causing the pulsating pressure.

The front desk staff was very nice. They were very apologetic. I know there is very little they can do about it.

Bottom line... If you are using Priceline, do NOT bid on a 3-star hotel in the Kirkwood, Missouri area of St. Louis or you might get stuck with place. I would avoid it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank csop96

Travellers are raving about these Sunset Hills hotels

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2011

No parking, loud bar in hotel, room smelled of mold & mildew, lock on door not secure, hair dryer did not work.
Sprayed room but odor remained.
Reserved room for 5, received towels for 3.
Policeman posted at front desk sent a message of security risk.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jadegreen13
Lakeland TN
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Good midway point between Six Flags and Downtown St. Louis. It was very convienient to get to six Flags, about 20 minutes in the rain. Lots of restruants near by. We felt safe in the area.Staff was friendly and helpful. It rained while we were att Six Flags and they shut all the rides down. We were able to take a break in the indoor pool. It was not crowded or loud. we did travel on a Thursday so that may have something to do with it. They have a restruant but no free breakfast. We went to I-Hop across the street. Very comfortable beds and firm and soft pillows to choose from. Great night's rest after a long day at Six Flags. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Inside rooms face the outside pool, but do not have access to the pool from your room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LakelandLady87
Illinois
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I only occupied the room for 8 hr, but it was an okay place to snooze on my road trip, and I felt safe. Not fancy, but not offensive, given the price paid.

I booked my stay one day in advance, on a third-party website where you name your own price for a 3-star hotel, and paid under half the list rate for a room. Upon checkin, the clerk was quite pleasant and I was given my choice of 1 or 2 beds, and informed that a SMOKING room had been requested--however, the website I booked on specifically states that they request NONSMOKING rooms, so this is a discrepancy to watch out for. Occupancy must have been low, and I was cheerfully given a nonsmoking room at my insistence.

The hotel was dated and, despite exterior dressing-up, the lobby and corridors were dim, worn, and with dirty carpeting--they clearly don't clean regularly. The swimming pools appeared clean and certainly the children were enjoying them. One pool is outdoors and sunny, the other is small and indoors. The room itself was adequate, but again dated. Bedding was adequate: not luxuriant. The old-style TV worked, but I only watched for 5 minutes. Wi-fi internet signal strength and 3g cellular phone service was weak. No luggage rack was provided. A hair dryer, steam iron, ironing board, and clothes hangers were present. There was no mini-bar/fridge.

The bathroom was small, to the extent that you had to close the door in order to maneuver except for using the sink. The flooring was worn and the grout dirty/moldy except right in the center of the room. Sink and counter were dated and worn, but clean and functional. Exhaust fan worked gently and silently. Toilet flushed properly. The shower head in the tub was on a flexible hose, and it was difficult to get the water to spray in the right direction. But some people like this sort of arrangement; I suppose it was okay. Soaps and shampoos were adequate but unimpressive. Towels were clean and absorbent, but coarse and smallish.

Check-out was uneventful and no wrongful charges were made. I would stay here again in a pinch when traveling, but not as a destination hotel where I would prefer a more modern and comfortable surrounding instead.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunset Hills
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills
BEST WESTERN Kirkwood Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Holiday Inn St. Louis - South County Center
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton

Been to Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66? Share your experiences!