“Mostly a good experience”

Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Most of the front desk people were friendly/helpful. Room was comfortable, very slight dog odor since they allow pets in some rooms, but we asked them to use extra air freshener and it was gone the next day.

Bathtub was one of those situations where the porcelain has turned gray so it looks dirty from the longtime use of a safety mat, but actually the entire bathroom was close to spotless. Saw the hotel workers removing some bathtubs so perhaps they are upgrading.

Hotel room was mostly quiet. Some bright lights from nearby shopping, but their curtains effectively blocked out most of the light. AC a little noisy, but awesome. Even if you don't need a room for disabled guests, you might think about asking for one since the toilet here seemed surprisingly low. Also, don't catch a cold because the Kleenex at the hotel seemed to made of something akin to sandpaper.

A number of affordable restaurants nearby (Steak 'n Shake in walking distance) and the hotel has room service from, believe it or not, a biker bar. (Lots of Harleys in the parking lot Sunday night, but still plenty of spaces for guests.) Didn't notice any noise from the bar at all in the hotel, but when we called for room service, the employee had to yell to be heard over the music. Food was expensive and only okay. Surprising options (salmon salad, I think) for a biker bar.

Staff did a good job staying on top of storm reports/tornado warnings our first night.

Location is about 20 minutes west of the Forest Park area where you might spend time seeing various museums and eating at tasty restaurants in the Central West End. It's farther from downtown and the Gateway Arch, but driving seemed easy every time. Right now take extra time to get to the Arch because of construction near the attraction.

For the price, this Holiday Inn seemed like a good choice.

Room Tip: This is weird, but if you're allergic to animals, lie down on your pillow right away and do a de...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darshan1

Reviewed 16 April 2014

They are renovating the place, which gives it another star, but they didn't bother to replace the bath tub. I'm glad we didn't pay full price or get stuck in a smoking room. The smoking hallway reeked horribly. The pool area appeared to be needing restoration badly. If you can find another room at another place, I'd go there.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Allen O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Allen O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, relaxing and superior accommodations. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the refurbishment at the hotel in particular with bath tubs. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Lera P

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I made the mistake of staying here. This place is under construction. I thought it was a blessing to get a freshly redone room. Wrong! First there wasn't hot water. The craftsmanship in the remodeled room is awful. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. That, and the attitude of the staff is off. I received the most inauthentic sorry possible. Platinum for IHG means nothing here, so again, avoid this place. Freshly remodeled rooms, shouldn't have worn sheets with snags.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank superdrew
Mickeah, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

We appreciate your comments about your recent stay and I am very sorry that your experienced problems with the hot water. I can assure you we are looking into this matter immediately. By sharing your thoughts about your stay, you are helping us to deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope that you will offer us the opportunity to provide you with an improved level of product quality and customer service on your next visit to St. Louis.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

When first seeing the hotel it looks like an eyesore. The building is currently being renovated which is nice to see since it is in desperate need of it. However despite the rugged exterior the interior rooms and common areas appeared to be very clean, as well with more updates currently being done to make the interior better. The service left me with a great impression. The man who checked me in Eddie I believe, was very nice and helpful and allowed me to check in 2 hours early. As well when looking around confused housekeeping people were very friendly and helpful to point me in the right direction instead of just passing me by. The hotel has all the basic amenities, room service in the early evening, onsite restaurant, laundry, vending machines, toiletries, individual room heating and cooling.

The hotel also has 2 pools 1 indoor and 1 outdoor, as well as a large indoor jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was nice and hot and a comfortably heated indoor pool. The outdoor pool was closed in March since it was quite cold outside. I however would like to point out that the hand rail into the jacuzzi was very loose and seemed like it would break if someone who needed it to help them up the stairs could cause it to break and lead to injury, As well my room did not have a bath mat in the shower/tub and is a tripping hazard since the bottom of the tub was flat.

Overall a decent stay should be much better in the coming months once renovation is complete, and a couple safety issues are resolved. I would stay at this hotel again, it was comfortable, convenient location, and clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aaron S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Aaron S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the issues with jacuzzi and bathroom. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C

Reviewed 1 March 2014

A buddy and I recently went to the St. Louis area for a poker tournament. We went through Priceline to save a few bucks. The downside to Priceline is that you are not able to hand pick your hotel.

The hotel itself is very clean. The downfall to this hotel, for us, was the beds. The beds are quite firm and are less comfortable that other competing hotel chains.

If a firm mattress is what you are looking for, then this is you place.

In close proximity to food choices.

Hotel does not offer free breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daddylama76
Mickeah, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your stay and review of our property.We work very hard to keep our hotel clean and refreshed, so it's wonderful when guests notice and compliment us on our efforts. Please accept our sincere apology if your stay was negatively affected by our beds. I have taken note and can assure you that we will look into this. Again, thank you for staying with us.

MIckeah

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel the night before and of my wedding. Yolanda was very helpful in planning and setting up a room block for my guests. My biggest complaint is that I was not told that the front entrance door would be redone during the time of my wedding block so my guests were greeted by all of that construction. They should definitely staff their front desk better because it was VERY difficult to get in touch with them. Other than those two details, the room was great. Very clean and very spacious. We didn't have a mini fridge or a microwave, even though I was told all the rooms had them. My bridesmaids stayed with me the first night and we had plenty of hot water for showers in the morning. They were very considerate to do a full clean on the room before I came back the second night with my husband, which was VERY appreciated. Over all, I think the biggest downfall was miscommunication. If I had been informed that they were planning major construction, I would not have been so upset and could have planned differently.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Mallory R,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We are delighted to read you found the rooms clean. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope that we can better serve you next time.

Connie D

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Very upset right now, first family trip, booked this room ahead and paid for it ..... drove 700 miles to be turned down because they couldn't verify a measly $25.00 which was never pre-cautioned when paying for the reservation. Now because we spent our daily limit on our card (shopping of course on vacation) we have sit in our car for an hour and a half in 18 degree weather with our 3 small children @ 12:49am ...... very disappointed)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear phillysgurl,

#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
5 mi away
Holiday Inn St. Louis - South County Center
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55

Been to Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66? Share your experiences!