Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewscinnamon rollsservice roadeasy accessstayed nightsfirst floorroad noisecomfy bednight's sleepair conditionercoffee makerfront desk staffshopping and restaurantsfridge and microwavelocation was perfectnice roomclean hoteloatmeal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a good example of a recently built HIEx. Nice construction, good décor and furnishings. All was well except that we had a room on the freeway side of the building, which was very noisy. The front is only about 75 feet from the freeway access road. We checked in about 2:00 and asked for a room in the back. We were told the room was on the back side, but it was not. We called down to the desk and were told the hotel was full (at 2:00 in the afternoon?) and we could not be moved. My wife got no sleep that night. I am sure if you had a room facing the other way there would be no problem. There is an Indian restaurant next door that is only open at night. Otherwise it is a short drive or a long walk to other restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Onthebeachgene
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I am partial to the IHG hotels but this location is exceptional. very well cared for. excellent staff who are knowledgeable and helpful. sometimes hotels in warmer climates get the perma damp air conditioning smell but this place was very neat and tidy. wifi worked everywhere, breakfast was very tidy and orderly, and well stocked. the location is ultimately convenient to austin, F1, even the greenbelt for hiking is accessible right behind the hotel. really, although at first it seems a bit... remote.... the location is absolutely ideal.

Room Tip: ask to stay on the back, or near the pool to get quiet rooms with a nice park view. the south side of the hotel has rooms which face the highway and the view is less than stellar there. (although most rooms do NOT look out on the highway, some do!)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Hubby and I stayed three nights to attend a family wedding. Room 311 was clean, comfortable and quiet. Bathroom clean, roomy, decent water pressure. Breakfast was just okay...can't say I've ever had a "free" breakfast that was really good. Front desk staff very professional, helpful. TERRIFIC Indian restaurant Royal India right next door. Very easy access to/from Highway 290. Convenient to Barton Springs area, S. Congress, S. Lamar. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again should we need to be in this part of S. Austin again.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the backside of the property away from the highway.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I arrived at this place in the middle of a warm autumn afternoon. I checked in at the desk where there was a line. Upon checking in, the desk clerk hands me two room temperature bottles of drinking water. I thanked her but wondered why they are handing out warm water. I went back to my car, gathered my things, then went back in the front door, passing the desk, and 4 doors down the hall to my room. I hadn’t been in the room 30 seconds when the phone is ringing. I pick it up and it’s the desk clerk wanting to know if everything was OK with my room. She watched me walk by her just 30 seconds ago, and I do believe that’s not enough time to even put my bags down. I told her I just couldn’t say as I haven’t been in the room. It’s clear to me she was just having to do the steps required regardless if they make any sense. There’s a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. I put my sodas, and their water in it. Then I called her back and suggested they should put these water bottles in the refrigerators so the guest has a cold drink waiting on them. In a very sarcastic tone she says “thanks” and slams the phone down. And, I’m thinking “you are welcome Miss Attitude.”
I’ve never been asked to stay in a darker hotel room. They are so busy saving energy you cannot see to work. The CFL bulbs in this room are the equivalent of about 25W incandescent. Even the bathroom is suffering from too much energy savings. It still has one of those enormous shower heads left from when Holiday Inn thought guests would be impressed with big, big shower heads. If you’re working for the oldest profession in the world, the lighting is just for you. But, the rest of us are going to have a hard time getting any work done.
The major thing that would prevent me from returning is the danger in exiting the driveway. You can’t get a break in traffic to enter without many cars on your bumper coming off an exit ramp at high speeds. The road bends away from you, so you can’t see what’s coming around the corner. It’s a morbidly dangerous situation, and the best you can hope for is to find a break in the right lane only, then when you get one floorboard your car. If you’re lucky you’ll only irritate a driver and they won’t end up in your back seat. Then there’s the covered foyer, which is painted with a ultra slick burnt orange paint surface. 2 drops of water on this stuff, and it’s like glass. I nearly lost it 3x in one night in a rain storm. There’s more wrong with this than the fact it was raining. That driveway surface is a serious threat of a slip and fall injury to everyone. I’ve never seen anything quite as slick.
Free breakfast was surprising in that they had hot breakfast items that were acceptable. Scrambled eggs, bacon, buttermilk biscuits, and gravy were all very tasty. They have your standard starchy items, and they offer a pancake making machine. I didn’t try the pancakes, but I’ve seen someone cleaning one of those machines and it didn’t look like the grandest idea in the world. Their cinnamon rolls come from the store, but still were hot, fresh, and very good.
There is an Indian restaurant right next door, and on the other side is a most unusual storm drainage thing that’s as big as 3 football fields. I was here when it was flash flooding, and I’m still curious how that thing helps, other than it fills up with massive amounts of dirty water. There’s residential on either side of this place except these mentioned things, and you are pretty marooned. You’ll need a car or other means to get around if you stay here very long. I didn’t see any courtesy shuttle through out my stay, and advertisements for Super Shuttle to the airport for $17.00. This place is in the middle of nowhere.
The 100 gal dead water heater lying in the back parking lot was a not very pretty. It looked like someone had put this behemoth in the trash, and the trash man threw it back out. Whatever the case, it had been lying there long enough to start rusting, which is way too long for any respectable inn. If it’s hazmat trash, then use the correct means to get rid of it, but throwing it in the parking lot behind the hotel just looked bad. Then there’s the broken lock on the back door. Someone had put a sign on it that you have to pull up. This is lack of maintenance, and, I’ve had it out with Holiday Inn building engineers in other places who didn’t want to fix it. The building condition was very good, the common areas were clean and well maintained, and the condition of the furniture and fixtures were equivalent to new. The breakfast area was kept by an attendant making sure there was enough food, and service areas kept clean. Services here were better than average, and the negative points were small issues. There’s not much chance I’d come back here, but that’s because of the location. If I needed a room in this area, I’d stay here again if the rate was competitive.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a lot of traffic noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Super clean, excellent and friendly staff and the breakfast bar had bacon in the morning! I was also impressed that they now use Bath & Body Works body wash and such in the bathrooms. They had the White Citrus scent and that's one of my choices at home. They even had a hygiene kit with mini nail file, q-tips and more! Never seen that before.

The staff was really friendly and helpful with directions to a local establishment for dinner. I was only there for one night and the only disappointment was how lame the rewards member welcome bag was but they are all getting that way all around the country.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business