“Lovely afternoon tea”
Review of The Manor

The Manor
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was taken to the Manor for afternoon tea by my daughter as a Mother's Day treat and we had a lovely time. The building and gardens are beautiful and the staff were helpful and attentive. The tea itself was plentiful, with sandwiches, cakes and warm scones which were all delicious. We asked for a second pot of tea which was brought immediately. All in all a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
BrianGarside2013, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments following your Mothering Sunday afternoon tea treat. It was a pleasure to be of service to you and I was delighted to learn you enjoyed the occasion and found our afternoon tea to be delicious and plentiful.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was a little alarmed to see a couple of very bad reviews for this venue as I've visited myself and found it to be of a very high standard. My visit was in November 2013 and was before I began reviewing, so I thought I'd add my thoughts now.

I was taken here by my wife as a birthday treat on a package that included a six course tasting menu and breakfast. The highlight for me was the evening meal. Quite simply the best dinner I can remember eating. At this distance in time, I can't remember all the courses but there was a nice light, clear vegetable consomme, a salmon ravioli and the most delicious fillet steak. Also served was a sorbet and cheese and biscuits, so not much has slipped my mind! As a special treat we also had a wine flight - a glass of wine to accompany each course. Again this was excellent, served in generous portions with each glass described by the knowledgeable wine waiter. The atmosphere was formal, but not overly so and is in keeping with the style of the hotel. Throughout the meal the waiting staff were attentive and helpful and, I felt, very keen to please, taking pride in their work.

The hotel boasts a quite dramatic entrance hall with a log fire burning, where we sat after dinner with coffees and brandies chatting with some other guests. A nice wind down before bed time.

I think that the hotel had only recently been taken over when we visited. I don't think all the rooms were in use and some of the staff seemed to be on a bit of a learning curve, but this didn't detract from the experience because they were all so helpful and worked hard on keeping us happy.

The traditional breakfast, waitress served rather than buffet style was also delicious and generous.

The hotel, which is a beautiful building, is set in extensive grounds. These were under restoration when we visited but we still enjoyed a post-breakfast stroll before leaving, I'm sure the gardens will be beautiful by summer.

There was a bit of a crisis when we went to settle the bill as the IT system kept crashing. Also the bed, breakfast and dinner package had been paid in advance but we were asked to pay again - a mistake that was soon rectified however. I also felt that automatically adding service charge to every item was a bit excessive - these were removed but we left a cash tip. Those glitches aside it was a lovely stay and the food and wine was without fault.

As we were thinking of another visit in the summer months we're hoping that the standard will match our first visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew S

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your comments following your stay at The Manor last November, and we were all delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us. The tasting menu is our most popular dining option and is well received by our guests.

Our recent refurbishment work is now complete, and our full-time Gardener is now actively preparing for our summer garden displays. We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the warmer months to enjoy exploring the gardens further.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Beautiful building which is the most positive thing I can say about our experience here. Waited ages for drinks, waited ages for the menu, waited ages for our table and finally got our main course after 2 hours! Asked for the bread basket three times during our wait as we were so hungry. No apology given for the wait. We were also really cold as it was not warm in the restaurant with the gallery.

Food was ok, nice flavours but so tiny that I skipped dessert and had cheese as my chicken that was supposed to be a whole breast was the size of a sparrow. I am fortunate to have eaten in many beautiful restaurants due to a career in International Marketing but have never paid so much (£50 a head!) for such a poor experience.

When it came to paying the bill there was no one to be seen and after 15 mins we had to leave the restaurant to find someone. Nothing knocked off the bill for the wait and no apology. Would I come here again? - No! Would I recommend it? - definitely not! Glad some people have had a good experience but looking at the reviews, not everyone, including ourselves did.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Buds1
BrianGarside2013, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

I am sorry to learn that the restaurant service did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I have discussed your review in detail with the Restaurant Manager, and in particular with our Head Chef in connection with your food comments. The Restaurant Manager informs me that he did not receive any such comments on the evening and had he done so, he would have been delighted to address any point of your concern. It is a shame you decided to highlight this issue after your departure.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Booked an afternoon tea, which we had done the previous Mother's Day. Last year it was lovely and relaxed. Service was good and not rushed. But this year after booking it again, along with having a ten month old was looking to enjoying this Mother's Day with our families. We turned up on time and was told to walk around the grounds or go to the bar as there was going to be a slight delay (just as well it was good weather). After a walk we asked how long and was finally seated upstairs in a family room to find that no one came to take our order. It was now just over an hour and our 10 month old, who I had been told on the phone that a tea at no extra cost would be provided for him, hence we booked the tea for after his afternoon nap and for his snack did not come. He and the rest of us were getting hungry now. I had to walk round the hotel to find a member of staff, who in the end was the receptionist as no one else could be found. I explained no one had taken our order and that it was now over an hour since our booking time. At which point we decided to leave and go to Tescos to grab some cake on the way home, which we explained to the manager who started to make his way towards us. At which point gave my mother a card to say he would be only too happy to accommodate us in the future. He has been emailed and has not replied, so I am guessing it was purely lip service! We had looked forward to this but by the time we left it was nearer dinner time. I can only assume they wanted as many bums on seats as they could to cash in, but to say they are a 'luxury hotel' is taking the mick.

6  Thank Benchel
BrianGarside2013, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

We are extremely sorry for the delay in preparing your table reservation upon your arrival for afternoon tea, and for the poor service that ensued with regard to your particular reservation and service time. The team were trying hard to ‘catch up’ with preparing reserved tables, due to two earlier reservations having arrived late, however, this should not have impacted upon your own reservation. I assure you that this is not of our normally high standards of guest service, and we do receive so many lovely guest compliments in relation to our afternoon tea presentation and service at The Manor.

We fully understand the circumstances and frustrations this caused, and in particular with a young baby in your party.

As discussed on the day, we extended an offer for you to return with our compliments to allow us an opportunity to restore your confidence in our traditional afternoon tea service, and we all look forward to being of service to you. I am currently in email ‘dialogue’ with your mother and invite you to contact me when you have a date in mind.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

What was meant to be a happy and enjoyable afternoon turned out to be a nightmare!My daughter had booked a table for 2 for Mothers Day for myself and my friend who was travelling from London.On our way to the Manor I was beaming with pride telling my friend how grand this place was! On arrival I told the reception that we had come for lunch and the name of the booking.Before speaking to her she looked at us from head to toe in a manner that I would find hard to describe without using unpleasant racial terms.To be polite it was kind of what is this Ghetto trash doing here.needless to say spent the whole afternoon re-assuring my friend that it's a very nice neighbourhood as I only live down the road.
Moving on the lady at the reception told us dismissively that there was no table booked under that name and signaled me to move away so that she could speak to more deserving people and talk about being embarrassed.we watched at her saving other customers good eye contact being polite and appropriate with them.I spoke to my daughter on the phone and she gave me the name of the person who had taken the booking,as she had come in person to pay deposit money for her maskarade party that had taken place the previos night.I pointed out this to the reception that my daughter was here last night for her birthday maskarade party and she had booked the table when she came to pay her deposit. I told her that my daughter would ring her in a minute to explain things by then she looked very irritated and phone started ringing and she walked away from the reception the phone kept ringing for a good few minutes,when she came back I told her
that my daughter was trying to call to explain things and she told me that she was busy with other customers and she continued to ignore the phone.I phoned my daughter and told her that she was ringing the right number but the receptionist was not picking up.She eventually spoke to her,not sure of the contents of conversation by then I just wanted to go home or next door to the Black sheep and have a strong drink.
We were then asked to follow the receptionist who then pointed our table to us and a few minutes later my daughter arrived with her friend whose mother had driven from London and re-assured us to enjoy our food.Food was served and the young waitress was very sweet and polite.

Can't comment on the food as I don't want to sound bitter.
We were told that we could have complimentary drinks for the inconvenience,which we didn't bother to be honest we just wanted out of that place.
A BIG MESSAGE TO THE MANAGEMENT AND WHO EVER THIS MAY RELATE TO.TREAT
CUSTOMERS THE SAME DISPITE THEIR COLOUR,AGE,GENDER ANS SOCIAL CLASS BECAUSE WE ARE ALL HUMAN AFTER ALL.WE ARE GOOD CITIZENS GOOD PEOPLE AND THAT WAS A VERY EMBARRASSING SITUATION.WE ARE LIVING IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY,I WAS BRINGING BUSINESS TO YOUR HOTEL.MY DAUGHTER AND HER FRIENDS SPENT A FORTUNE THE PREVIOUS NIGHT AT YOUR HOTEL!
Well I now have to consider my options as I was planning to bring my friends for a weekend
break.
What would have been helpful for us,the receptionist should have asked for my daughter's number and spoken to her on the quiet at the same time re-assuring us that she wasvsorting something out for us.Appalling service from the receptionist and other staff who were not interested to help at all.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Gail E
BrianGarside2013, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

We were perturbed by your review detailing your perception of the handling of your lunch reservation last Sunday. Please be assured that ALL of our guests are valued.

Your report has been fully discussed with the team on duty, who do not concur with your interpretation of the circumstances. Our Receptionist advises that upon your arrival and in the absence of there being a reservation in your name, she sought the assistance of the Restaurant Manager to secure you a table; whilst this was being prepared, she attended to a departing guest.

We are sorry if you believe you were made to feel less than very welcome. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, I invite you to contact me.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

On 21st March we were lucky enough to celebrate our wedding at this beautiful hotel. The staff were nothing less than fantastic! We hired the back lawn in order to have Tipi's erected for our wedding breakfast & band to play, but also used the hotel for the drinks reception and late night disco. The Tipi's had to be erected 2 days prior to the wedding and the hotel were incredibly accommodating about this - nothing was too much trouble and we were allowed to spend the day before the wedding decorating and preparing things.

On the day of the wedding everyone went out of their way to ensure it all ran smoothly and we had a day to remember. I'd like to mention in particular, Melissa the events manager, who is so efficient and hard working. Melissa started at The Manor after we had already booked our wedding and from the second she took over we knew we could trust her. When we arrived back at The Manor following our ceremony she was stood waiting for us with a glass of champagne which was a lovely, personal touch. Whilst we were busy having photos taken she had also ensured that 2 of each of our chosen canapés were delivered to us in order for us to try them. This was so nice as we would have missed out on this otherwise. She did many little things like this that really make The Manor stand out as a very professional establishment for a wedding.

The service for the wedding breakfast was impeccable - large numbers of waiting staff were used in order to ensure everyone on a table was served at once in a choreographed manner that was almost theatrical to watch. More staff were also constantly circling the tables to ensure no one was left with an empty glass. The waiting staff are clearly well trained and are a credit to their manager, Benoit. Benoit also went out his way all weekend to make sure we were happy and, like Melissa, is also a credit to the hotel.

The food was just delicious. The chef agreed to cook the menu we had chosen prior to him taking over but he made it very special and up to his exacting standards. We chose a pork fillet which was cooked beautifully and all our guests commented on how wonderful the food was. The portion sizes were just right for a 3 course meal. We also had quite a few guests with various food intolerances and this was not a problem for the chef at all. He cooked various alternatives to our chosen menu in order to cater for all our guests. We had 85 guests all together and everyone's food was served piping hot and very quickly.

My husband and I and some of our family and friends stayed at the hotel the night of the wedding. Once we moved from the tipis the celebrations were continued inside with a fantastic disco supplied by the hotel. Once this had finished a lot of guests continued drinking into the early hours in the bar and not once did the staff put pressure on us to go to bed. I know that some of the staff had been up for hours but were still as accomodating as when we first arrived.

The hotel has undergone a major refurbishment and all the bedrooms are now stunning with modern and chic bathrooms. All our guests thoroughly enjoyed staying in such luxury and it was lovely to be able to spend the morning relaxing over breakfast with everyone. Again, the staff were impeccable and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was delicious and just what we all needed!

Following breakfast, we headed out to the tipis to assess the 'clean up' situation. We were amazed to see that the staff had worked through the night to clear down the tipis and they were empty and spotless! Even all the tealight holders, candle holders, vases and flowers (of which there were many!) had also all been removed and stored safely in the hotel.

I can not recommend this hotel highly enough. I was a VERY fussy bride with exacting standards - I knew exactly what I wanted and how I wanted things to look. Melissa got this immediately and it was such a weight off my shoulders knowing that her standards were as high as my own.

We did not feel like customers during our time at The Manor, we felt like friends staying in someone's home. We feel very fond of this gorgeous place and its wonderful staff and will be returning time and again to reminisce about our magical day.

Thank you to everyone involved and we hope the business goes from strength to strength. You all truly deserve every success for the future.

Victoria and John Smith

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Bob841

Victoria and John,

Thank you for your lovely feedback, and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your very special day at The Manor. Your comments have been shared with all the team which they very much appreciate, and most particularly our Head Chef – Larry, Benoit and Melissa.

May we wish you a long and happy life together, and we all look forward to welcoming you back on a future date, perhaps to celebrate your anniversaries!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

A family dinner and stay for six people from 21 to 86. First the excellent Saturday night dinner was ranked very highly by everybody. The meal was first class (Michelin) restaurant standard and worth the trip and the £50 meal price.

Then there is the hotel itself with a number minor and easily fixed faults, they clearly struggle with systems and training of some of the staff. When we booked the hotel was shown as full all year both on their own website and on all the consolidators (booking.com etc;) My sister in law tried to make a booking by phone and ran into a very unhelpful receptionist who eventually asked for full payment then for 5 rooms and dinner three months in advance. I phoned and had a very helpful receptionist and did not even have to leave a cc number. On leaving neither of the cc machines was working leading to a struggle to pay and leave.

The rooms were warm and comfortable although one was missing a bath plug and the water pressure was so low the hand held shower dribbled.

Breakfast was un unmanned precooked on serving trays affair with no staff on hand to try and get gluten free bread, as the only people in breakfast the food was soon tired and not refreshed.

The big problem in all of this is that the cheapest single room is £215 which is much more expensive than almost all first class Oxfordshire hotels except Le Manoir which is in a different class.

If the price was £120 I could recommend the hotel but with so many faults that even a Holiday Inn can solve I say dine here but stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
BrianGarside2013, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your dinner.

We have noted your further comments and apologise for any misunderstanding which may have arisen when your sister-in-law initially contacted us to book several bedrooms. Our normal practice as is common with many other hotels, is to request a deposit for rooms booked several weeks in advance. For rooms booked only a few days in advance, we require full payment. We are sorry for the delay you encountered on departure due to intermittant technical issues we have been experiencing over the last few days with our PDQ machines, and this is currently being attended to.

When the hotel is particularly busy, we offer our guests a hot breakfast buffet. Our Restaurant team are on duty for breakfast service from 06.30 hours, and we fail to understand your comment regarding there being no staff available. We have focussed the attention of the Food & Beverage Manager and the staff on duty last Sunday, as this is most unusual.

We do hope that you may visit us again in the future, when I would welcome you contacting me directly at brian.garside@themanorweston.co.uk so that I may personally oversee your reservation.

Brian Garside

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston on the Green
Macdonald Bear Hotel
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kirtlington

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!