“Not up to its own Standards”
Review of The Manor

The Manor
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Along with members of my family we have used both the restaurant and the hotel but on my last visit for an evening meal I was very disappointed.
It was made even more disappointing because when I raised issues in an email through their website I did not receive the courtesy of a reply.
The prices are high enough for one to expect excellent food, well presented and well served. A party of four with decent wine and pre-dinner drinks and coffees will see you with some change out of £400 but not a lot.
I personally objected to them taking my debit card details when I made the booking for dinner. They say that they don't take anything from the card and true they did not ask for the security code - so why do they need it?
When I approached them about it on the night that we went the girl on the reception desk said that it was so that they could take £20 per head if a party did not turn up.
They certainly didn't say anything like that when we called to book our table!!
I think that the chef is now trying too hard. Some dishes just don't work and I can only say that the set menu that we were offered was boring particularly in main courses. We asked about a beef dish that we had been offered on an earlier visit but just given a rather blank look that said you see what we have.
We then saw later an alternative and cheaper menu that did have the beef. We were just disappointed and felt that perhaps the accountants had taken over and the hospitality managers been overruled.
Sorry Manor but losing us will no doubt cost you a few thousands next year that we would be spending.
I don't enjoy writing poor reviews but you didn't bother to respond to my comments to you on your website so perhaps you don't want to take criticism seriously.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RichardSFC
There are newer reviews for The Manor

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I actually wanted to forget that terrible experience, but now a year later came across the same adverd on the Secret Escapes, which brought the bad memories back , so could not resist writing..
Booking through Secret escapes was easy, pictures were superb , like the outside shell & surroundings of the hotel when you see it, but the rest is not worth a 1 star. We had a special occasion - to celebrate our wedding with some close realativies who could not be at the event itself, so my husband booked 3 rooms for two nights incl 3 course dinners for all in advance. The first room we we offered was disgracefully filthy& small in a kind of a basement area, with no room for a cot although our room was booked on a basis 2+1. The only other altrnative they offered was a room in a coach house( not adjusecent to the main building which meant no dressing up for diner as it was pissing with rain and you have to walk through mud!). Room was a bit bigger but very dark and just dire.. A room a would not consider even walking into under other circumstances but thee was no choice at that point..After 3 hours at the restaurant I had to go to bed with the baby with no desert ( service is slow and poor). Don't waste your money here, don't be taken by the skilful photographer! It was meant to be an exciting experience for us but turned out to be something I just want to forget about..

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Nat W
Nick H, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

We are obviously very disappointed that your stay here at The Manor fell well below expectations.
It is difficult for me to comment on any particular issues that occurred 12 months ago, but would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience and also the comprehensive refurbishment program that has recently been completed throughout the hotel.
Please do contact me personally on 01869 350621. I very much hope that we may be able to regain our laurels on a future occasion.
Yours sincerely
Nick Hanson, General Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic weekend at the Weston Manor. Our room was at least double the size of the largest I had ever previously stayed, and it also had a large lounge. Unfortunately, the central heating did not work in our room for our stay, the management arranged for more than enough fan heaters to be deployed in order to make such a large room very toastie. We had booked the taster menu for both of our nights stays, and was not disappointed as the food and dining service was the highlight of our stay. Even though Weston Manor is a large old hotel, the log fires gives it a homely feeling. If in the area without the children, we will certainly book this hotel in an instant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Lovely hotel, beautiful grounds, we stayed for one night on a bed, breakfast and evening meal deal as a half way point to meet friends. The staff were all excellent and the Chefs table was the best experience! Larry gave us an insight to running a successful kitchen and the menu was fab. Would definitely recommend this to all food lovers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
BrianGarside2013, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback and we were delighted that you enjoyed our Chef’s Table which offers a great opportunity to add some ‘theatre’ to a memorable dining occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Manor soon.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We have just spent a superb weekend at this beautiful manor house. The rooms are spacious and welcoming, the gardens are beautiful and the staff professional and friendly. The highlight for us though was dining at the Chefs Table, an absolute must! The food prepared by Larry and his team was superb! Had a very entertaining and in informative evening learning about the running of a successful kitchen. The taster menu (very reasonably priced) enabled us to experience a variety of beautifully presented taste sensations! Will definitely be back. Thank you to one and all. The Smiths & The Hursts

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank DeebLoughborough

We were so pleased to learn that you had an entertaining and informative evening, dining at the Chef’s Table last weekend - we enjoyed your company too!

I have copied all the team in on your feedback; this is a great morale booster and very much appreciated.

We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back before too long.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was taken to the Manor for afternoon tea by my daughter as a Mother's Day treat and we had a lovely time. The building and gardens are beautiful and the staff were helpful and attentive. The tea itself was plentiful, with sandwiches, cakes and warm scones which were all delicious. We asked for a second pot of tea which was brought immediately. All in all a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments following your Mothering Sunday afternoon tea treat. It was a pleasure to be of service to you and I was delighted to learn you enjoyed the occasion and found our afternoon tea to be delicious and plentiful.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was a little alarmed to see a couple of very bad reviews for this venue as I've visited myself and found it to be of a very high standard. My visit was in November 2013 and was before I began reviewing, so I thought I'd add my thoughts now.

I was taken here by my wife as a birthday treat on a package that included a six course tasting menu and breakfast. The highlight for me was the evening meal. Quite simply the best dinner I can remember eating. At this distance in time, I can't remember all the courses but there was a nice light, clear vegetable consomme, a salmon ravioli and the most delicious fillet steak. Also served was a sorbet and cheese and biscuits, so not much has slipped my mind! As a special treat we also had a wine flight - a glass of wine to accompany each course. Again this was excellent, served in generous portions with each glass described by the knowledgeable wine waiter. The atmosphere was formal, but not overly so and is in keeping with the style of the hotel. Throughout the meal the waiting staff were attentive and helpful and, I felt, very keen to please, taking pride in their work.

The hotel boasts a quite dramatic entrance hall with a log fire burning, where we sat after dinner with coffees and brandies chatting with some other guests. A nice wind down before bed time.

I think that the hotel had only recently been taken over when we visited. I don't think all the rooms were in use and some of the staff seemed to be on a bit of a learning curve, but this didn't detract from the experience because they were all so helpful and worked hard on keeping us happy.

The traditional breakfast, waitress served rather than buffet style was also delicious and generous.

The hotel, which is a beautiful building, is set in extensive grounds. These were under restoration when we visited but we still enjoyed a post-breakfast stroll before leaving, I'm sure the gardens will be beautiful by summer.

There was a bit of a crisis when we went to settle the bill as the IT system kept crashing. Also the bed, breakfast and dinner package had been paid in advance but we were asked to pay again - a mistake that was soon rectified however. I also felt that automatically adding service charge to every item was a bit excessive - these were removed but we left a cash tip. Those glitches aside it was a lovely stay and the food and wine was without fault.

As we were thinking of another visit in the summer months we're hoping that the standard will match our first visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew S

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your comments following your stay at The Manor last November, and we were all delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us. The tasting menu is our most popular dining option and is well received by our guests.

Our recent refurbishment work is now complete, and our full-time Gardener is now actively preparing for our summer garden displays. We do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the warmer months to enjoy exploring the gardens further.

Brian Garside

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston on the Green
Bignell Park Hotel
The King's Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Remont Oxford Hotel
Remont Oxford Hotel
#3 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!