“Fawlty Towers”
Review of The Manor

The Manor
Reviewed 22 July 2014

There was no Basil, but their might just as well have been, the Brazilian girl on the front desk made up for this. She was rude, argumentative I would sack her straight away if it was my hotel. Coffee cups left all our stay on the drawing room table, staff had to be reminded for drinks orders, no poter to take bags, unprofessional student staff. No training of the staff and brazilian girl had boyfriend at desk chatting to her the whole time when she should have been looking after guests. Most appalling level of care and no manners always wanting the last word. The pool was unclean and needed repainting, the road noise gave me a headache. Worst hotel i have ever been to.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank findelaterre
There are newer reviews for The Manor

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting for the CLA Blenheim Palace Game Fair after been invited by friends who chose the hotel. We arrived in the late afternoon of Thursday and had a nice walk around the gardens and eventually found the pool, which I was hoping for a swim in but it was visibly dirty so decided to just sit in the sun instead. The gardens were beautiful and the area around the pool was too, if only someone had used their cleaning skills on the pool.
We had bought our dog with us and usually you don't get a nice room if you bring a dog but the room was spotless and smelt nice too (unlike other dog guest rooms). We stayed in a twin room in the coach house which was a very beautiful outbuilding.
Tea was booked for 8 so we had a refreshing drink next to the croquet lawn we asked the bar man to bring us some bar nibbles out but they never appeared. The young batman had only been there 3 weeks and was visibly nervous and hadn't been given adequate training as he didn't know where half the glasses were kept.

We asked for some menus and a bottle of white wine so we could ponder over the choices. The wine came warm so we had to ask for a wine bucket and the menus never arrived. I went to find someone to get us some menus and they went and got me some. As I have quite a limited diet there wasn't anything I could eat on the menu (usually I can just about manage) but I had noticed on the room service menu earlier a couple of choices and being such a small establishment with a small restaurant and the presumably the same chef doing room service I thought this would be okay so when we asked the waiter if I could have maccaroni cheese he went to check with the chef and came back eventually to say that the chef said everyone has to eat off the same menu. I'm sure a chef of their standard could put together some pasta and cheese!? But obviously not so the gentleman we were dining with went off to find someone superior to talk to as by this point it looked like it was being ran by 3 students who haven't been trained for their type of establishment, he came back and the chef had decided to now cooperate.
We ordered another bottle of white wine and red wine for with the meal, the white again came warm but luckily we had the ice bucket still. 2 ordered the taster menu at £70 each and I orders a garlic bread starter followed by maccaroni cheese, and our 4th member ordered crab to start followed by chicken. While we waited we had some delicious canapés which I think was some kind of potato and cheese in breadcrumbs with a garlic mayo type thing which we were bp very impressed by. Then one of the waiters came over and asked if we wanted the crab with the starter or main (obviously starter as ordered) then the starters came which went down well, then we had a rather long wait for our mains whilst a few of the taster menu courses arrived and the mackerel was raw, when we complained the chef sent a message back to say it was supposed to be like that as it had been marinated but obviously for not long enough as it wasn't very tasty.
There seemed to be a rather long wait between each course for the taster menu considering they're tiny portions. Then when our mains finally arrived another portion of crab arrived!? My maccaroni cheese was very nice but the others weren't impressed with their food. When you're paying that sort of money you expect quality food and quality service.

The hotel was beautiful and the rooms very clean the housekeeping staff and the other members of staff we met all very pleasant and couldn't do enough for you. The waiting on staff were very polite but hasn't got a clue about fine dining. There just didn't seem to be anyone in charge, they didn't take any empty plates back off any of the other tables when they had dropped our food off so there was dirty plates left everywhere.

Note on the menus the 12.5% discretionary service charge which most guests told the receptionist in the morning to take off as they hadn't even received any quality service!

The breakfast service was just as bad, no juice or tea or coffee offered when given our menus. Our table wasn't set up for breakfast but all the other tables had dirty plates on. It's safe to say it was definitely a repeat of the evening before.

Beautiful, relaxing hotel that needs to put some money into training it's waiting on staff and then it would be perfect.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay again myself but I would advise to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Eat at the pub down the road and not in the hotel restaurant
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Zeebra2015
Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a hidden gem.
At Silverstone for the weekend, and just did not want to leave the hotel.
The food was fabulous, and the overall quality of service was a dream.
One of the best we have stayed in, and well worth the money......

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I think you take pot luck at this very expensive hotel. If it goes well it could be great but there is no guarantee that it will. I was not one of the lucky ones.

I drove 100 miles to have dinner with friends and stay the night. On arrival the car park was barricaded off with cones and it was not even possible to drop bags at the entrance. As a result I was forced to carry my bags quite a long way in the rain. The receptionist said that another party of guests had block booked the car park. The attitude seemed to be that it was just tough luck. It turns out that the other guests were the BBC Top Gear team, who with true BBC profligacy, didn't even use all of the spaces in the car park.

The next morning we found that my wife's taxi had been ordered at the wrong time and as a result she missed her train to London. To add insult to injury the receptionist tried to charge me £295 for the room that I had booked for £225.

Other than this the hotel was great. It is a splendid setting, the room was very large comfortable and elegant and we had a delightful meal. What a shame the hotel can't deliver the whole deal. I complained at the time but neither of the receptionists appeared to be of sufficient seniority to respond.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stephen100
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed for a wedding, the hotel is handsome and the grounds well maintained - the setting is beautiful. Our room on the top floor while small was nicely appointed and looked as if it was freshly refurbished. Canapes were delicious. Wedding meal was simple but nicely cooked, however the portions were fairly small; while good quality it could not be described as fine dining although we appreciated that wedding food package is perhaps going to be different to eating in the usual dining room. Staff waiting on tables were very pleasant but seemed a confused at times and in general perhaps insufficiently trained.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rosebud120604
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked on line but didnt need too as they never asked if I had a booking. Young lad who showed us to the table didnt know if we could have Coffe instead of Tea, went off and never came back. Eventually a waitress appeared to give us menus and she did confirm we could. Service was quite slow, but very poiite. Sandwiches etc were very good and everything was tasty. They did automatically add 12 1/2 % to the bill, which I never like. Was it worth the money and would I go back? Probably not, but it was treat and my partner loved it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chopknock
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We arrived unexpectedly, and we were greeted like long lost friends. Nothing was too much trouble. Food from the four star restaurant was brought up a course at a time around four flights of stairs! The food again was sublime - the head chef trained with Le Blanc at Le Manoir! The room was spacious, the service beyond reproach. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard double. It was lovely
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston on the Green
Bignell Park Hotel
The King's Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Remont Oxford Hotel
Remont Oxford Hotel
#3 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!