“Lovely relaxed atmosphere with beautiful gardens”

The Manor at Weston
Price range: US$11 - US$102
Cuisines: British, Bar, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Celebrate the seasons at The Manor at Weston-on-the Green with changing menus to reflect the best in local, seasonal produce.Our kitchen brigade is led by our Executive Chef, Larry Jayasekara. Take your time to enjoy our fabulous five-course tasting menu in the oak-panelled Baron’s Hall; relax in Bertie’s Bar with a sandwich made with the finest Montgomery cheddar. Soak up the sun on the Topiary Terrace and indulge yourself with freshly prepared Plateau , or treat your loved one to a Laurent Perrier afternoon tea in the elegant Morning Room. Fine food and service are guaranteed for all our guests.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Decided to try lunch here. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. The manor itself is a lovely building. We sat outside in the glorious sunshine, looking onto the beautiful gardens, having a lovely lunch and cocktails. Really relaxing. I would really recommend the Berties champagne cocktail - it really packs a punch! An very enjoyable experience!

There are newer reviews for The Manor at Weston

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed on Friday 1st August. The hotel was empty but getting ready for a wedding the next day.
We checked in and showed to our room which was cosy but nice. On our way to the room the receptionist showed us the guest lounge where guests could spend time. It was 5.30PM and there were 2 empty tables covered with empty glasses/cups.
Came back at midnight and the glasses/cups were still there.

Breakfast was ok even though a bit disorganised. No small plates available so had to eat my croissants on the table cloth instead. We were there at 9.45 and the staff started fluttering around clearing up, even though breakfast was until 10AM. They did make us hurry up and leave.
The hotel advertises an outdoor secluded pool open in summer - the pool was closed and there weren't any notices to advise and the staff did not bother.
Next day check out - this was a surprise from my boyfriend. He went to settle the account while I was waiting in the downstairs lounge. The receptionist was really loud and went over the financial details of the stay...so I could hear everything.
Also while we were waiting for the rain to stop in said lounge there was another member of staff (who obviously did not see us) that was swearing out loud and saying she could not wait to leave next week.

The hotel and surrounding grounds are amazing, but the staff was awful and disorganised. Only brownie points won by the bartender from Aylesbury on Friday night.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were very much looking forward to our afternoon tea, a gift for our Silver Wedding, we went with my parents who had received the same gift for their Diamond Wedding. The gift was not a reduced value voucher but paid in full in advance. The cost of Afternoon Tea is £23 per person. The sandwiches were awful. The smoked salmon was a bit of scrap, dark middle meat that I wouldn't feed my cat. As I bit into the sandwich the salmon came out in one piece as I couldn't bite through it. I tried to cut it with a knife but that didn't work either. The bread was akin to supermarket value sliced bread as was the ham which looked like shiny "value" ham. The egg mayonnaise was overcooked egg yoke that had been blitzed and mixed with virtually no mayonnaise so that crumbs of egg were falling onto the plate. The other offering was cheese & pickle!! The bie size scones were the best thing we were offered, which were served warm. The cakes and pastries did not include any pastries and neither was there any of the "famous Weston carrot cake" that is advertised on the website. One of the cakes looked like a shop bought Mr Kipling onto which they had piped pink icing. Considering that this was a special gift and cost around £100 for 4 people it was extremely disappointing and I would certainly not recommend it. Apart from someone physically bringing the food to the table we never saw anyone, even when we had finished no one came to check whether we were ok or if the food was ok, we simply left our table in the knowledge that there was no bill to pay and left! Not the special occasion we were expecting.

2  Thank JanJ206
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked an afternoon tea via an external website for my wife and myself.

The venue was excellent, the food well presented and tasty (albeit the portion sizes were smaller than other establishments) and we thought we might book a short break here. Likewise the service wasn't great. There was no offer of a more tea and our milk ran out and when we wanted to pay no waiter to be found.

So we were eventually compelled to go to reception to pay where i was told my bill was over £50. As £23 times two only comes to £46 I queried the bill and was told it included the service charge .. for the service that hadn't overwhelmed me.

This quite surprised me as it wasn't mentioned on the website when i booked and wasn't even itemised as such on the bill. So I asked why it had been added and was told "its what the hotel does". I was then told it was 12.5% and discretionary. So I asked for it to be removed.

I understand that some hotels believe the practice of adding a service charge but I think this needs to be transparent and mentioned on the website (I've checked and can't see it on the site I booked on). Failing this it should be in a big enough font that is is noticeable and easy to read on the menu .. I didn't notice it.

If this charge is to help pay the staff wages then just up your prices and don't surreptitiously add an additional charge.

Most of us can afford an extra 12.5% but not every one can and it can be very embarrassing for customers to query this and have it removed.

Having looked hard I do see that the hotel mentions the service charge on its sample menus on the website .. but don't see it elsewhere. So why the secret?

On leaving I asked that the manage be told of my unhappiness at the charge. I'm not sure if they were told but no one has contacted me to discuss and they do have my number .. so i've resorted to TripAdvisor to get their attention. .

Needless to say I have not made the the booking i intended to make.

1  Thank CustomerConsultant
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My friend and I love to do afternoon tea and enjoy going to different venues in oxfordshire but we think this is by far the best we have had to date. We arrived at 2.30 pm for our pre booked afternoon tea and were quickly shown to our table. We ordered tea which came in glass see through tea pots, just remember to ask for milk if you want it. We ordered the full afternoon tea which came with sandwiches, 4 scones wrapped up to keep warm and served with clotted cream and jams and finally 3 different cakes each which were absolutely delicious. To finish we had mango and strawberry fruit teas which were lovely and refreshing. Would definitely visit again.