“Wow...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Gaer Hall

The approach to Gaer Hall.  Footpaths start at the end of our drive and you can walk to the 2 pubs.
The driveway at Gaer Hall with uninterrupted views over the Breidden Hills and Rodney's Pillar Gaer Hall in all its' glory!  Croeso!  Welcome!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Gaer Hall in all its' glory!  Croeso!  Welcome!
Breakfast al fresco, lunch al fresco - bbq later? Perfect for a small wedding party
Our well equipped kitchen comes with a Rayburn and double electric oven and dishwasher
Our glorious kitchen.There's a table and chairs for kids' tea as well as the dining room itself.
The kitchen again, bags of room for the cooks and helpers! There's two fridges and freezers as well.
The ground floor lounge/diner with TV,woodburnerwith view to the hall where we have the pool table.
Ground floor double shown with 2 extra singles to make a family room with cot.
Ground floor single/small double with ensuite, ideal for those with mobility needs.
Ensuite bathroom with shower,part of the ground floor single/small double bedroom.  Bed converts.
Ground floor hall with pool table, cloaks with WC,laundry room and ensuite single/small double room
The Library bathed in sunlight July 2014.  No need for logs for the 2 woodburners this weather!
First floor Master bedroom,ensuite with cast iron roll top bath and shower.  Room for a cot, too.
First floor single/twin bedded room with cloaks - WC and wash hand basin- opposite.
Bunk beds!  Like the single/twin room next door it shares the cloaks, WC and wash hand basin
Second floor double bedroom with views over open countryside.  Can take an extra bed .
Same room from the opposite angle.Snug as a bug. Full oil central heating throughout the Hall..
Second floor double bedroom with fantastic views over Gaer Fawr. Can take an extra bed/cot.
Second floor family bathroom with bath, shower, WC, and wash hand basin.
View from across our hay meadows to Gaer Hall with Gaer Fawr behind.
If we haven't won you over already, maybe the sports area will clinch it!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Marazion
Marazion
“A faded beauty”
Reviewed 2 March 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

To say it is fading is an understatement and whilst the owner is very nice these problems could not really be sorted during our stay You can't fix general neglect.
This is a beautiful faded house it needs a good clean and an update. I know this would cost a great deal.
Firstly the rayburn was not working an engineer came and said it needed a full service but to be honest we did not want this done during our stay because it would have inconvenienced us. Luckily the electric cooker was good.
The internet was not intermittent it was nonexistent I spoke to the owner about this and she admitted that in January she needed to let a guest use her own internet as hers next door works fine. The hub needs relocating as it is not on the main phone inlet. It needs to be housed in a dry place not in the kitchen and the line needs a full test.
The High chair provided for my youngest granddaughter had the straps tied together at the back not clipped in a safe manner. The other high chair had the left hand harness missing.
The house was not adequately cleaned the downstairs shower was filthy with black mould between the doors of the shower.
The large bedroom downstairs had a grubby carpet and one of the upstairs bedrooms had dog hair on the carpet.
All the cabinets had a thick layer of fluff beneath them.
The house was freezing cold on arrival which is unacceptable in February.
We could not all shower in the morning because the hot water tanks are not large enough to give showers for ten people!!! Perhaps if the rayburn was working it would have been different but we were three days into our week long stay when it transpired that it needed a full service.
I have had better showers at all camping sites I have stayed at. In fact all the campsites I have stayed at.
The kitchen sink never ran hot water luckily we had a dishwasher but there were three wheels missing from the bottom basket. This is not hard to sort my husband found a wheel under the kitchen cupboard and popped it back on. It just shows a lack of attention to detail.
A small fault the fridge light didn't work nor did the water dispenser. The reclining seats in the downstairs living room are broken. Why not get them fixed?
The surface in the kitchen are flaking blue paint in the kitchen a bit of a health and safety is the paint lead free I suspect not.
The carpet/flooring in the upstairs lounge is unravelling this is an accident waiting to happen if somebody falls who will be at fault?
The shower in the second floor bathroom needs a new riser fine for me but not so good for my six foot one son in law. The shower head will only work on the bottom as the riser is broken. You can buy new risers on the internet very easily.
The grouting is coming up in the second floor bathroom, sharp on bare feet.
The French doors would not open which could be an issue for a fire exit?
The central heating boiler went out persistently meaning we woke up to a cold house We followed the owner's advice about shutting a certain door but no joy.
The door on the downstairs wood burner needs adjusting because it does not shut very easily. We have a wood burner and this could be dangerous, I don't think our wood burner would get a safety certificate if ours was in this condition.
Few of these problems could have been put right while we were there but many of these things are things that could cause a great deal of problems.
The quality was shocking it was as if we had strayed into a normal family home where things get broken and are left not acceptable in a holiday cottage. The laundry room is an untidy nightmare It was a little as I imagine you could find in an air b and b place! ( I don't know I have always used an agency for all the good it does me)
Bizarrely we had a good time because the whole family were together and we had fun! You can get straight up onto a hill fort and the woods are lovely. Welshpool is a lovely area.
The holiday cottage company didn’t give a fig when I complained so I hope nobody breaks an ankle falling over the unravelling carpet. I also hope the highchairs have now been sorted out. I doubt if the other things will be sorted out but at least I have tried.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
4 Mar 2017
I am not going to dignify this "Fake News" review with a detailed response. Suffice it to say I live next door to Gaer Hall and all my guests will confirm that I am approachable and willing to go the extra mile. If things are not right we get onto them straight away. Why was none of this mentioned at the time?
I could have reassured the family that there is no lead paint, for example. Lead paint was banned in the UK in 1992 and the property erected on site in 1994......... There was nothing wrong with the high chair etc etc. Had there been, I have a spare one I could have brought across.
One has to question the motivation of the reviewer. After the family left we had to replace a set of curtains they had ripped, shampoo the carpet on the landing where there was a large green felt tip stain and in the ground floor bedroom where there were numerous brown stains of unknown origin. The overwhelming majority of our guests leave the property in the same state as they found it, so thankfully, damage like this is rare.

How much more fun would they have had if they hadn't wasted time on finding mythical issues to complain about. Future guests, do please read all our reviews and make your own minds up.
Randombon
“Wow...”
Reviewed 29 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016

Wow....what a place! Have just visited Gaer Hall in between Christmas and NY and I can't rave about this place enough. Such a lovely retreat place with all the family. Would definitely come back....thanks for such a great time.

30 Dec 2016
Hi Claire and thanks for the rave review! We try our best to make visitors to Gaer Hall and our small country estate feel welcome and able to relax the moment they cross the threshold. Great to have you and your group to stay and hope to see you all again in 2017. Happy New Year to you all, Margaret
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

28 Nov 2016
Glad you all had a great time at Gaer Hall Natasha. Don't forget to bring your karaoke machine and disc next time! Have a great
Christmas and see you all again in 2017.
Stuart A
Valencia, Spain
“Beautiful House with Beautiful Surroundings”
Reviewed 10 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

Fantastic place to spend a few days with a large group of family/friends. Excellently equipped with a stunning interior and exterior.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Matthew19...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Beautiful space for families.”
Reviewed 5 May 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Lots of character features like the beams and fires. Great kitchen, lounge and library room. Lots of provisions, utensils and resources. Feels like a home from home. Owner was incredibly accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. Super base location. Stunning area and property views. Nice walk to the brook at the bottom of the field. Never worried about little children and property damage or accidents due to the relaxed family set up inside. Grand on the outside but homely with fabulous features inside.

Travelling group: Large Group
7 May 2016
Hi Matt and thanks for taking the time to post a review. As I explained, Gaer Hall is where my family grew up. At one time we had 5 children under 8, so it's really important to me that the environment should allow the children to play freely without the parents worrying about breakages. We want all kids to experience a "Swallows and Amazons" stay . And for the parents to feel they've had a real break too.
Toby F
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The perfect retreat”
Reviewed 29 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Nestled in the Powys countryside, Ty Gaer proved to be the perfect location for a weekend break for our large group of school-friends. On arrival the owner had kindly left a couple of bottles of wine and some Welsh cakes which was the perfect accompaniment whilst we prepared dinner using a combination of the Aga and electric oven. The bedrooms are well-maintained, comfortable and tidy, and we could choose between relaxing in the dining room living area or the upstairs lounge which boasts some period beams and some amazing views across the Welsh hills. Perfect after an afternoon's walk. It was warm enough to sit outside on the Sunday morning and the patio at the front of the house soaks up the sunshine. All in all I'd really recommend booking this place.

Travelling group: Large Group
1 Mar 2016
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review, Toby. I love seeing the Hall full of life and able to offer old friends the opportunity to get together in a comfortable relaxing environment. Looking forward to welcoming you all, hopefully, next year. Kind regards, M
rebeccash...
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Beautiful house in stunning setting”
Reviewed 19 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

I recently stated at Gaer Hall with a group of friends for my birthday. The house is beautiful (photos don't do it justice!) with lovely period features and is very spacious. It was very well equipped and we had a great time. Would recommend The Oak pub in Guilsfield and Powis Castle for a bit of sightseeing. Thanks Margaret for a lovely weekend!

20 Feb 2016
Thanks Rebecca. We all get a great buzz when our guests have a great time at Gaer Hall. I'll pass on your comments to Dan and the team at the Oak in Guilsfield. Look forward to welcoming you all again, kind regards, Margaret
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing