“I need to follow other experiences: The service is absolutely crap”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Olivier

L'Olivier
L'Olivier
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Strassen
Capellen, Luxembourg
“I need to follow other experiences: The service is absolutely crap”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Although I was wondering to book this hotel for my CEO afther all the negative comments I did took the risk. Spitly the fights were overbooked. A kind cancelation request was brutaly refused although we had many more nights in the pipeline. I can not judge the rooms but the customer service is crap.
A pitty this Olvier Hotel still survives in Luxemburg where the guests are always handled very correctly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 10 May 2013

So where to start...

I was required to spend 3 weeks at the Olivier Hotel whist in Luxembourg on work.

The first thing I noticed was that the hotel didn't have a toaster, so I asked the receptionist if I could use one to which he simply replied "no.. No toasters" so I said fine 3 weeks without a toaster.. I'll live.

Next I had to wash some plates so I looked for a sponge and some soap but couldn't find neither so I had to buy them myself, unusual but again I said fine. Oh and there was a dishcloth only one and never got changed or washed. I had to wipe my dishes as well as the sink after cooking with toilet paper.

The next thing I noticed was the water, it was like mission impossible getting the temperature right, the water was either too hot or too cold.

After this I decided to watch some YouTube to take my mind off the awful experience I was having with the hotel, but obviously YouTube was blocked, as were many other websites. Also I couldn't get any wifi reception upstairs in my duplex so I had to go downstairs every time I needed to check something online.

Next I had to wash some clothes, obviously the hotel did not have any washing machines one could operate but I was informed by hotel staff that they had a "laundry service", and an expensive one at that. I thought I'd make use of it at least my clothes would get ironed since I didn't have an iron in my room. After paying 28 euros for 4 kilos worth of washing (not separated, whites and colors all together) I entered my room to find the clothes on my bed, as you can expect, they weren't ironed.

Next the cleaning service. I was informed on my arrival at the hotel that the room would be cleaned twice a week. This included a change of towels and some vacuuming of carpets.. Dirty dishes and surfaces were not washed.

What else? The mugs were tiny and cutlery very limited. The staff very rude and unhelpful.

Now the hotel hasn't had Internet for 2 days so I've had to go to an Internet cafe to do my work and write this review. Who knows how much longer before the Internet is back, I've learnt to expect the worst whist at the Olivier.

I have got a week left here and I am counting the days till I leave. This hotel has effected my whole Luxembourg experience in a very negative way.

Needless to say I would not recommend it. Oh and finally whoever gave this hotel 4 stars must have been blind.

Room Tip: Good luck with that!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Luca E

Travellers are raving about these Strassen hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I be been there yesterday and really it was disappointing . 169 € for a low comfort room is really expensive. Moreover, for this price it was a room for handicap people with adapted shower, adapted toilet, bathroom etc.
I really was shocked by the price for service ratio. The breakfast was weak with mini croissant and low service.
When I talk to the receptionist about my regrets, he just mentioned ' yes Sir, the stars in Luxemburg are not like in France, you are not in the Negresco here....

Disappointing as I said....

Room Tip: Don't accept the room 101. It was cold and sad
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The only good thing of this hotel was that it was near my work and also Antonoi the receptionist.

Bad points:
- The quality of the materials are bad
- The TV that I had in the room was making some strange noise and they didn't bother to change it
- The receptionists, excepting Antonoi, were rude and not sympathetic at all! Sometimes I was wondering in fact if I was the vendor and they were the client looking at their attitude...
- they ask for 120 euros per night on average... I know luxembourg is expensive but for that amount of money I was expecting something much much better.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I had high hopes for this hotel. I was given a nice room with a beautiful bathroom on the top floor. I had no problems until I tried to take a shower. There was no hot water. I called to the desk and they sent someone. After trying to coax hot water out of the shower, he explained that I was at the end of the line and the hot water tank was small. Maybe if I got up EXTRA early, I could enjoy a hot shower in the morning. I was up at 5am the next day and again greeted by a freezing cold shower. I have never stayed at any hotel before that had no hot water. Not an Ibis and not a Motel 6. I certainly have never paid 300 Euros for no hot water. STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you have hot water!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank china i
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The hotel is conveniently located close to Luxembourg city (5-10 minutes drive) and very well connected with public transport as well as has big parking space (free of charge). Nice restaurant with good service, complimentary internet, quite and big rooms. Overall good impression!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Kvitochka
London
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I needed a hotel for one night in Luxembourg and found many full booked. I chose this one because by comparison, for the going rate in the city, it was a more normal price. However, it is not really a hotel, more a hostel. It is clean and has all the basics. But, for example, there is no coffee/tea/kettle in the room. There is a mini-bar but no alcohol, us a couple of cans of soft drinks. My room was cramped but the bed was comfortable and there was hot water. The shower had a flimsy curtain and sprayed all over the bathroom and the towels were small and coarse.

Breakfast was just a buffet, no hot food. However it was quite a good choice. If I had been paying €75 - €90 I would have been impressed but compared to most European hotels charging €120 per night it was poor value.

I did not experience much service to speak of: the check in was efficient despite it being past 10pm. There was one woman around in the breakfast area who was polite seemed prepared to be helpful. They came downstairs to find me when my taxi arrived.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strassen
Mandarina Hotel
Parc Belair Hotel
Parc Belair Hotel
#21 of 51 in Luxembourg City
Park Inn by Radisson Luxembourg City

Been to L'Olivier? Share your experiences!