“The warmest welcome I've ever received from a guest house”
Review of Ayah Villa

Ayah Villa
Ranked #2 of 3 Trumpington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Our booking:
My partner and I stayed at the Ayah Villa Guest House from 28th February - 2nd March 2014 in order to attend a friend's wedding in Cambridge. We booked our twin room (room 4) only two days before our stay via LateRooms.com. When I telephoned to confirm our reservation, I was very politely reassured that the booking had gone through ok.

The welcome:
A sign on the front door of the guest house claims "you will be sure to feel at home here" and that was most certainly the case from the moment we walked in. Although we unfortunately did not catch her name, the lady who let us in and took care of us throughout our stay was the most sweet, friendly and welcoming guest house owner I have ever met - I am extremely well travelled and stay in guest houses roughly once per month, so I have met quite a few! We didn't really need anything special on this occasion but it was obvious that nothing would have been too much trouble. The lady offered to push our beds together and re-make them as a double when she realised we were a couple.

Location and facilities:
The Ayah Villa Guest House is very easy to find with a well-lit and sign-posted driveway entrance right on the main road, and has ample off-road guest parking. If you are checking in later in the day you might be left with the parking spaces closest to the building which are a bit of a squeeze to get into, even with a small car, if the minibus is parked opposite (as it was when we arrived).
Although the hostel could do with some minor repairs and modernising, such as re-painting the skirting boards and doors and perhaps updating the decor a little bit, it is light, airy, warm and spotlessly clean throughout.
Our beds were very comfortable with high quality, white linen and two pillows each. The shower in our en suite was very powerful and very simple to use. The satellite television and unlimited free wifi worked perfectly - we were even able to stream a TV show. The only disappointment with our room was that the bidet attachment on the toilet did not appear to work.
There is a bus stop directly opposite the driveway which takes you into the centre of Cambridge in 20-30 minutes (the number 7). There is also a range of shops, including a Waitrose supermarket and some excellent food-serving pubs, only a 10-15 minute around the corner. Despite being situated on such a main road, we did not hear any traffic noise whatsoever, even with the window open.
Although hot drinks facilities are not available in individual guest rooms, there is a hot drinks machine available 24/7 in the breakfast area, which is centrally situated and very close to all of the rooms. There are even free biscuits left out throughout the night for if you get peckish! I am very stereotypically British in that I need and expect a supply of decent tea, and I was quite worried when I saw that the hot drinks came out of a machine. Having lived in Italy for a long time, good coffee and hot chocolate are also important to me! I needn't have worried at all as the tea and hot chocolate were all as nice as, if not slightly better than, what I drink at home! I didn't try the coffee. There is always fresh milk available in a jug in the mini fridge. Apparently the hot drinks machine is usually only available from 7.30am - 11.30pm but someone destroyed the timer and, as terrible as that is, we were glad because we were able to make a lovely mug of hot chocolate after getting back from the wedding reception at 2am!
Although we did miss the option of a cooked breakfast, the continental breakfast was very good with a range of foods available including: cereals, brown and white toast with a variety of jams and marmalades, two types of mini muffin, a range of fresh fruit, two fruit juices, millionaires' shortbread(!), and yoghurts. The yoghurts were Asda's own brand variety and there only seemed to be slightly strange flavours available - it would have been nice to have the option of plain, natural yoghurt with the fruit.
I feel it is worth mentioning that you can hear other people in their rooms. We only heard some very dim chatter from next door and the floor above creaked a little bit - but we had very polite neighbours so this did not bother us at all and we slept very well. Perhaps this would be different with inconsiderate neighbours.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and were very comfortable. I would definitely recommend to friends and family.
Worst bit: lack of a cooked breakfast option.
Best bit: the wonderful hostess and the free biscuits!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Exactly the place we required for a short stay, very convenient for Addenbrooke's Hospital. The friendly family run place could not have been more suited to our needs, plenty of parking, clean and quiet rooms. The breakfast was adequate with self service tea and coffee. The family showed great concern for me in hospital asking my wife about my progress and wishing me well for my recovery.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank malcolm g
Reviewed 5 February 2014

It says on their website that they have free wifi, but it really mattered to me (working away from home) so I called in advance to double-check before booking, and they reassured me. In my room, however, I could only get a signal if I sat on the floor by the door of my room. That was such a massive problem that I can hardly bring myself to say anything else! That said, the place was very clean and tidy. Breakfast was varied but only continental. I would have preferred a bath to a shower, and I do like tea- & coffee-making in the room, not in a public area. But crisp white cotton sheets, safe parking, and proximity to the Wok & Grill Chinese buffer were pluses. But fix the wifi, please!!

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back - away from the road, and one which has a decent wifi signal!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
muhammad m, Manager at Ayah Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear you were not entirely happy with your stay here at Ayah Villa,
We understand there were some aspects of your stay that you felt needed improvements which I am happy to address.

In regards to your wifi issue this would have been a very simple fix if you had alerted staff, our staff are always available to help.
From time to time the routers need to be reset and takes less than five minutes.
We can assure all future guests if they have any issues regarding the wifi all they need to do is alert us and we can resolve the issue immediately.

It is very important to us here at Ayah Villa that our guest have a very comfortable stay. Whilst a guest stays with us we do our upmost to ensure they have the most enjoyable stay possible.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just the place we were looking for on a brief stopover - v handy for Addenbrookes Hospital. Self service tea, coffee and basic breakfast in dining room. Plenty of room for parking. Quiet and pleasant room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank sadsjd
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for one night . We found it clean but a bit tatty,not what we were expecting after reading that it had won Channel 4's Four in a Bed. The staff were friendly although we didn't see much of them and the room was basic but warm .It served a purpose,somewhere to get our heads down for the night but wouldn't actively look to stay there again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014
muhammad m, Guest Relations Manager at Ayah Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are unable to comment on you remark “bit tatty” directly as you have not given any detail or constructive criticism as to what you found tatty. I would also like to say as winners of channel 4’s four in a bed, we were chosen as winners by the other contestants who had all been in this industry for over 30 years.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a no frills B&B but what I found was a slick well run outfit with smashing friendly staff. I was travelling on my own and the staff carried my heavy case for me both in and out.

It was very warm and comfortable and had everything I needed for my 3 night stay.

Lots of hot water. Everything worked. Good comfortable bed with immaculate linen. Good dining area for the Continental breakfast plus you can use this area to eat your own food at other times. Hot beverages free from a purpose machine in the dining area.

Plenty of parking.

C7 BUS just opposite into town and some days I drove to the Park and Ride which is a couple of minutes away at Trumpington.

Very good eateries not far - Recommend the Green Man and the Lord Bryon.

Was really dreading the worst but so very pleasantly surpised.

Room Tip: No comment about other rooms - spoke with other guests and they all seemed very happy with their roo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GOLLYAUNTMAUD
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

The staff was v friendly and courteous. And the room looked v comfortable, neat & clean.

However, the bed was not v comfortable and I had a backache from the sagging mattress in the morning.

Break fast was okay. Nothing fancy. Apart from the option of toasting bread, no other hot breakfast on the menu. Primarily cereals, some fruit, & yogurt.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Saman J
muhammad m, Manager at Ayah Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Breakfast;
At Ayah Villa we serve a buffet style breakfast, this breakfast consists of.
A variety of fruits
A variety of cereals
Variety of cakes
White and brown bread
Boiled eggs
Fruit yogurts
Fruit cocktail
Selection of cheese and butter
Selection of jams and marmalade
Selection of Fruit juices
Coffee, tea and hot chocolate
This selection was chosen following a survey of over 300 guest questionnaires stating what they would like to see in a buffet breakfast. We are also happy to provide more specific items such as soya products should the guest advise us upon arrival.

we believe for rate's starting from of £45 per night we offer the best value accommodation in Cambridge.
all of our rates include breakfast, wifi and parking.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Trumpington
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Hotel Felix
Hotel Felix
#9 of 36 in Cambridge
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park

Been to Ayah Villa? Share your experiences!