“An absolute gem and would want to come back”
Review of The Lord Byron Inn

The Lord Byron Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Trumpington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We had dinner here this evening. The service could not be bettered the food was amazing and I never knew a strawberry trifle could taste that good. Would love to go back on a nice Sunny afternoon and have a meal and wander through the village. Lovely food, lovely inn, lovely staff what could be better.

Mrs D Cambridge

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Mrs-D-Cambridge

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stopped here for a quick meal on a Sunday evening. The photos on TripAdviser don't do it justice - they actually make it appear far more pleasant than it really is. Food was awful and needed to be sent back. A 'fresh' meal arrived in a similar state which I coud not eat. Cleary all food is frozen and on this occasion was not fully cooked; mine wa still raw inside. The waitress did try to apologise to be fair but the rest of the staff clearly had no customer service kills at all. there was no suggestion of a reduction when bill was settled. Probably the worst Mel I have ever had!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SE8B
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We struggled to find cheap accommodation for six of us in early June, but the Lord Byron sure did work out well. First impressions can be deceiving and what the pub lacks in up to date decor (could do with a lick of paint) it more than made up for with the friendly staff, good service and hearty home cooked food. They even went out of their way to start breakfast early to enable us to get away on time!

Accomodation is perfect in that it is adjacent to the pub (no noise worries) and rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable.

There appear to me mixed reviews here, but we were pleasantly surprised and whilst its not the place to wow or treat a loved one, it was perfect for a group of friends to refuel after a long day in the saddle!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We decided to take our Canadian visitors here for their last meal in England and started regretting it almost immediately. After 50 minutes some of our meals arrived - a child's portion of spaghetti meatballs containing one meatball, a medium rare rib eye which had been grilled into submission and a burnt burger, with both the latter accompanied by greasy, soft, overcooked 'hand cut' chips. Ten minutes later the other two meals arrived and this was while we were waiting for replacements for the two adult meals. After 75 minutes I was finally able to endure an edible ciabatta. The most disappointing aspect wasn't the food, but the attitude of the 'manager' who came over to talk to us despite it being her evening off. When I asked why, as manager, she didn't have a grip on what was happening in her kitchen, she commented that she was only there to have a meal with her father on her day off, so how was she to know what was going on in the kitchen. I'm sorry - we're nice, tolerant and supportive people but establishments managed by people such as this deserve to go under and I'll be amazed if this pub is still going in 12 months' time. Such a shame as the first meal we had here 12 months ago was lovely.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Philip S
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I booked two nights in a double room, through a hotel site (not this one). I got a twin room.

We got there so late the first night that we just went to bed, but in the morning when I went to get our room simply swapped and refunded the difference for the night, the manager was less than helpful. Instead of apologising straight away and doing what he could, he just tried to defend the fact that I got the wrong room. Just no idea about customer service. It was like I had done something wrong, which I hadn't.

In the end, when we were leaving he wasn't there and the old woman who was there said she couldn't help. She was rubbish too and I had to leave without anything being sorted in terms of an apology or a refund. // Added to this, the toilet wouldn't flush properly and the shower was a dribble. Altogether rubbish, when you consider I paid 80 pound a night for this. (Incidentally, the friendly female staff - not the old woman - were very pleasant). Find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: The shower in room 6 is a dribble, not a shower.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank franz t
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Perfect nice and near to Cambridge and Addenbrooks hospital .
Helpful charming staff ,great full English breakfast ,room lovely and fresh really enjoyed my stay there it was just a shame we Wasn't there longer .

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The room was not in the charming hotel as we expected, but just across from a little gardened area adjacent to the back of the hotel. The first night's sleep was very uncomfortable due to the mattress, we mentioned this to staff and they very quickly changed the mattress over for a new one and thanked us for letting them know. Overall it was a pleasant stay, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trumpington
Travelodge Cambridge Central Hotel
#22 of 36 in Cambridge
Anstey Hall
Anstey Hall
#1 of 3 in Trumpington

Been to The Lord Byron Inn? Share your experiences!