“Dreadful food, won't go again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lord Byron Inn

The Lord Byron Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Trumpington B&B and Inns
Somersham
“Dreadful food, won't go again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Just got back from this restaurant. It was a groupon offer. 40 minutes for the drinks to arrive. Nothing fancy just a Pimms and a coke. Then the starters came, mine was wrong and my husbands "prawns from the grill" were so small that we christened them frill and arrived in a bowl of seasoned fat. Yummy. He ate his starter and then mine came about 15 minutes later. It was nice, but contained none of the thyme, garlic and black pepper that the menu promised. The main course came, my "lamb skewer, tender leg pieces" was actually minced and formed in a kebab shape, it was probably very nice, but not what the menu stated. Wen I asked the waitress I was told "yes, we have changed the food a bit since the menu was written, like improved it you know?" My husbands steak was well done and not medium. By this point I had got the giggles, mild hysteria had set in and all that could be done was to ask for a refund. Which we only got partially as apparently Groupon Hanson to a bit. I was assured that the manager will ring me tomorrow..................we will wait and see.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband & I ate here using a Groupon offer. My starter of Thai fishcakes was very medicore but the chilli sauce very hot! My husband had the meze which was just about ok. There were no ribeye syaeks left ( on a Saturday night????) so we ordered fillet (an extra £5) and a sirloin. The fillet was amazing cooked to perfection and very tasty. My ribeye (should have been medium rare) was over cooked but still tasty. The chips were tasteless and undercooked. Each of the containers in the salad bar were almost empty - a very unappetising selection. The chef should go to the Old Crown in Girton if he wants to see how it should be done. Now for dessert - the edge and the jam of my Bakewell Tart was so burnt you could smell it as it came to the table, my husbands Tiramisu a bit tasteless. I was offered another dessert but to be honest was now a bit fed up and full up and ready to leave. Presentation of all food was very good and the staff very friendly and attentive. To cap it all the chef was so rude to his staff in full hearing of the restaurant it was very off putting for customers and gave a very bad impression. Will we go again or recommend this restaurant? Not likely !

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gillsy

Travellers are raving about these Trumpington hotels

Norfolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We had dinner here this evening. The service could not be bettered the food was amazing and I never knew a strawberry trifle could taste that good. Would love to go back on a nice Sunny afternoon and have a meal and wander through the village. Lovely food, lovely inn, lovely staff what could be better.

Mrs D Cambridge

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Mrs-D-Cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for a quick meal on a Sunday evening. The photos on TripAdviser don't do it justice - they actually make it appear far more pleasant than it really is. Food was awful and needed to be sent back. A 'fresh' meal arrived in a similar state which I coud not eat. Cleary all food is frozen and on this occasion was not fully cooked; mine wa still raw inside. The waitress did try to apologise to be fair but the rest of the staff clearly had no customer service kills at all. there was no suggestion of a reduction when bill was settled. Probably the worst Mel I have ever had!

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SE8B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

We struggled to find cheap accommodation for six of us in early June, but the Lord Byron sure did work out well. First impressions can be deceiving and what the pub lacks in up to date decor (could do with a lick of paint) it more than made up for with the friendly staff, good service and hearty home cooked food. They even went out of their way to start breakfast early to enable us to get away on time!

Accomodation is perfect in that it is adjacent to the pub (no noise worries) and rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable.

There appear to me mixed reviews here, but we were pleasantly surprised and whilst its not the place to wow or treat a loved one, it was perfect for a group of friends to refuel after a long day in the saddle!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We decided to take our Canadian visitors here for their last meal in England and started regretting it almost immediately. After 50 minutes some of our meals arrived - a child's portion of spaghetti meatballs containing one meatball, a medium rare rib eye which had been grilled into submission and a burnt burger, with both the latter accompanied by greasy, soft, overcooked 'hand cut' chips. Ten minutes later the other two meals arrived and this was while we were waiting for replacements for the two adult meals. After 75 minutes I was finally able to endure an edible ciabatta. The most disappointing aspect wasn't the food, but the attitude of the 'manager' who came over to talk to us despite it being her evening off. When I asked why, as manager, she didn't have a grip on what was happening in her kitchen, she commented that she was only there to have a meal with her father on her day off, so how was she to know what was going on in the kitchen. I'm sorry - we're nice, tolerant and supportive people but establishments managed by people such as this deserve to go under and I'll be amazed if this pub is still going in 12 months' time. Such a shame as the first meal we had here 12 months ago was lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Philip S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I booked two nights in a double room, through a hotel site (not this one). I got a twin room.

We got there so late the first night that we just went to bed, but in the morning when I went to get our room simply swapped and refunded the difference for the night, the manager was less than helpful. Instead of apologising straight away and doing what he could, he just tried to defend the fact that I got the wrong room. Just no idea about customer service. It was like I had done something wrong, which I hadn't.

In the end, when we were leaving he wasn't there and the old woman who was there said she couldn't help. She was rubbish too and I had to leave without anything being sorted in terms of an apology or a refund. // Added to this, the toilet wouldn't flush properly and the shower was a dribble. Altogether rubbish, when you consider I paid 80 pound a night for this. (Incidentally, the friendly female staff - not the old woman - were very pleasant). Find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: The shower in room 6 is a dribble, not a shower.