“Awful experience”

Rectory Farm
Ranked #2 of 3 Coton B&B and Inns
“Awful experience”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

What a pity! Such a perfect place for a big family reunion ruined by such appalling management! Dirty rooms with cobwebs behind the beds, radiators that make so much noise it's impossible to sleep, promise of wifi without any stability to it, having to fill up the kettle from a dirty bathroom sink even though the kitchen sink would be accessible if the manager had any sense and they even messed up the payment and then refused to put it right. The manager? I have never met such a condescending person in my life! The whole experience was fawlty towers times ten, without the humour!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank nadine s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I visited this establishment on the 31st of June for a wedding reception.
Once we found the place my first impression was good! The grounds are lovely and seem well maintained. Luckily we were able to locate the Wedding reception by following the sound of music!
This was good as there was no one directing arriving guest and no clear sign posting of where to go!
The marquee was nice and the casual bar staff seemed friendly!

The darkside of this venue is that it is seemingly run solely for profit and with no clear attempt at making customers happy! The proprietor, a man I believe called Rodger, is the most inhospitable man I have ever had the misfortune to almost meet!
I would assume that running such a business would require some level of ability to interact with people! Apparently not! Several other guests who had attempted to converse with this man were spoken to "abruptly" and were not worth his time, I was fortunate enough to have been entirely ignored, as if invisible, when I attempted to speak with this man! A mistake I will thankfully never have the opportunity to repeat!

I was also told that he had attempted to charge the DJ an inordinate fee for having apparently required two invisible electricians to come and fix a fault which took 2 hours despite the DJ being away from his equipment for 30 minutes and resulted in a plug being cut off of some of his equipment! (Criminal damage?)
This, in my personal opinion, sounds like something a con artist would attempt!
As other reviews have said, it seems like its money first people second!
There are much friendlier venues in and around Cambridge, I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GrimlockFett
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Rectory Farm for three weeks while I was relocating to Cambridge and was looking for a place to live. In my first week I had a lovely but small room. Unfortunately it had rather an uncomfortable mattress and so when returning for weeks 2 and 3 I requested any other room. Roger kindly upgraded me for my 2nd and 3rd weeks, and I thoroughly enjoyed these.
Wifi could be a little patchy, but was available most of the time, and was free of charge for me (I stayed in the chalet rooms).
The showers in all three rooms I had were good, and there was plenty of hot water whatever time of day I needed it. The rooms and communal areas were very clean and tidy and the setting is fabulous. Outside you can hear the nearby M11 motorway, but in the room with the window on vent you could just hear a low rumble of traffic, nothing to put you off your sleep (I’m a very light sleeper). If you did close the window then you couldn’t hear anything.
The first week I stayed in a room upstairs in the chalet and could hear people coming and going in the next room, but the suites on the ground floor were very peaceful, even though the place appeared to be full.
The location is brilliant, with the Park and Ride just down the road. You could even walk to the park and ride.
I didn’t get to try the breakfast, as it starts at 8, and there wasn’t time for me to indulge before I had to leave for work, so I can’t comment on that. I found a place to live not far from Rectory Farm and will be recommending it to my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lorraine L
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The house and grounds were lovely. Our experience was marred by the following:
1. An overly hot room on arrival. Would've been good for someone to have opened a window in advance.
2. A worn mattress where the springs were really uncomfortable
3. The cost of breakfast. £10pp for continental; £20pp for full
Wifi was also patchy, and there is no 3G in the vicinity. Shower pressure could've been better.
Park and ride costs £2.70 and is a 5 min drive away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helloxy
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Approached by a lovely tree lined drive, sweeping down to a Georgian style manor house.
Surrounded by fields with sheep grazing to the front.
Greeted by a friendly guy called Roger who took my money and showed me to my room.
Room was really nice, clean well equipped, comfy bed nice view to the front.
Breakfast between 8&9am was good
Over all very nice & excellent value
I will certainly return if I'm ever in the area

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Chose to stay at Rectory Farm for one night as a birthday treat for my partner. On our arrival we were impressed by the building and surroundings and friendly member of staff. Unfortunately it went rapidly downhill from there. We were shown to our room in the chalets. Although our bedroom door had a lock it seemed as though our bathroom was communal. I specifically booked a hotel which did not have a communal bathroom but anyone had access to it! The bed was uncomfy not to mention the lack of windows (only french doors which opened onto the carpark) so the bedroom was boiling hot all night. Not that we got any sleep as the walls are paper thin so we heard everything from toilets flushing to people coughing and even snoring!! I have not complained to the hotel as after reading reviews on here it seems like there isn't a lot of point! Waste of money which resulted in two tried and grouchy people wandering around Cambridge! AVOID THE CHALETS!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Connie D
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our first stay at Rectory Farm has been in May 2014 and we have already booked two more. Our bedroom was warm and spacious with a good en-suite and toiletries included. The grounds are lovely as is the dining room where the £10 charge for breakfast is well worth the money with fresh fruit in abundance. We were made very welcome and can only but recommend Rectory Farm to discerning travelers who would enjoy staying at a country house yet so close to Cambridge city center.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coton
Hotel Felix
Regent Hotel
#5 of 36 in Cambridge
Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to Rectory Farm? Share your experiences!