“Very Reasonable”

Ranked #2 of 3 Coton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Very Reasonable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is a really nice house tucked away at the end of a lovely gated driveway. We stayed in a rather nice purpose built building about 100yds from the main house. The house is surrounded by lovely gardens & grounds. Its also very conveniently located to a park & ride bus into Cambridge city centre. Breakfast was extra for us but it was a nice buffet brekkie to choose from.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

This place is so lovely! I only stayed one night but will definitely be returning. Friendly and professional welcome by the owner who showed me around the place - it is beautiful. I felt relaxed the minute I arrived. The grounds are stunning and the main house is full of character. My room was tasteful decorated and extremely comfortable - I had the best nights sleep in years! The en-suite was also excellent, power shower, complimentary toiletries etc. I really liked the small attention to details: a teapot to make morning tea in the room, a mini biscuit tin with biscuits in on the tea tray, a DVD library to borrow a DVD from to watch in your room, the honesty bar, the beautiful lounge to relax and read in.

I did not have breakfast but did take a sneaky peak and it looked good - a variety of fruits and yogurts, pastries, toast, hams, cheeses, toast to name but a few.

The view from my window was lovely. The bed was so comfortable and I was impressed that the double bed had two sets of two pillows - it's a pet hate of mine that you book a double room and get two flat as a pancake pillows!! These were sumptuous and did their job perfectly.

I do agree with other feedback however that check in and check out times must be reviewed.

A truly gorgeous place - I'm returning very soon and bringing my children with me next time to enjoy the pool, tennis courts and grounds. Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Bridport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I am glad I did not read the recent negative reviews this place received as I would have cancelled my booking. As it was, my cousin and I enjoyed a very comfortable, happy stay on Wednesday night. We stayed in the recently converted barn annex which we liked, our rooms, although small, were comfortable and clean although there was a bit of motorway noise from the nearby M11.
My shower belched out boiling hot water but Roger, the owner, came across quickly to investigate the problem and agreed the shower was malfunctioning so moved me to the front of the building which did not have the road noise, so I was happy. Reading the other reviews I see other people have had problems with the showers so I think management need to check them everyday to ensure they are working, otherwise someone is going to get scalded.
The reception area is not good, in fact it is non-existent, which does not give a good impression and leaves one feeling like a spare breakfast and in the way. A properly constructed and manned reception area would prevent many of the problems I have read about.Our experience of the customer service was good, but reviews from other travellers paint a mixed picture so its off to customer service training for everyone, including management, pdq! This is a shame because Rectory Farm is a brilliant concept, spoiled by poor execution.
The wifi reception was not brilliant but improved once my cousin mentioned it to Roger - so it can be fixed and I would suggest that anyone having internet reception problems should raise them with the management themselves.
Rectory Farm is not brilliant value for money, but its a relaxing experience. Would I stay there again? Definitely!

Room Tip: Be very specific about your requirements when booking; if you are tall ask for a room with plenty of...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely old main house with annex modern outhouse that I stayed in
Had an issue with electrics when I stayed and wifi was poor to non existent
But rooms very comfortable beds are big
I didn't have breakfast but I would recommend

Fantastic views and the gentle tinkle of the goat bells in field is quite charming

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

On arrival you will be greeted by a locked front door, and a wait, there only seemed to be one member of staff working on the Sunday afternoon we stayed.

Also do not expect confidentiality or care either, if you are taking a sweetheart on a romantic break don't let her stand with you on check-in as they will quote you the price and insist on immediate payment.
You also only have an hours window for breakfast, and if you haven't purchased it as part of the booking they do seem to look down their nose at you and it is quote an awkward moment.
The room was cheap looking, we were in a double and it was two single beds pushed together, so not at all comfortable, the bathroom is dull and dirty and the room had big cracks up the wall.
When I had an issue I approached the one member of staff who was busy dealing with other unhappy customers, I asked if there was anyone else but was told no, then whilst I was waiting the manager appeared. He immediately looked down his nose at me and tried to by-pass me but another customer told him I was waiting, when I explained the issue I was having due to an allergy I had to feathers, he was unsympathetic and unhelpful, all in all he was not customer focused and he made me feel awful.
I would never recommend this establishment to anyone, yes ok grounds and surroundings but I was treated terribly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Em M
St Albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My daughter and her husband held their wedding at Rectory Farm last Saturday. Family and friends stayed here following the celebrations and all said that they had had a wonderful time.

Rectory Farm is set in beautiful grounds, the rooms are impeccable and the staff discrete but attentive.

We had a delicious breakfast served on beautiful Portmeirion china. It was the little touches and attention to fine details that made this a truly memorable stay.

I have very high standards and could not find fault with the accommodation. One suggestion however, might be to have fans available should the rooms become too hot.

Luckily for us, whilst it was very warm on the evening of our stay, the windows opened fully and there was a gentle breeze.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

When driving up to this hotel we were genuinely excited by the setting, all looked pleasant and we were pleased to be rounding off a nice weekend here. It is out of town but that was fine for us.
The fact that we had left within thirty minutes demonstrates how poor the experience was. The wait at the door initially was poor, the greeting generally was ok and the room was very average with cracks in the wall; none of these would of been enough for me to feel the frustration necessary to depart immediately.
The initial problem was caused by my failure to mention a allergy to feathers when booking, the handling of the request for change was the failure of the management. I do not wish to go into details on here, I am not proud of the fact I lost my temper. The accusations of lying and constant situation escalation combined with the patronising manner of the manager ruined the Rectory farm experience.
In hindsight I wish I had read the preceding reviews prior to booking. I would not stay here again, it is not a customer focused operation and does not seem to care for individual requirements.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank CoopDoggyDogg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coton
Hotel Felix
Regent Hotel
#5 of 36 in Cambridge
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Rectory Farm? Share your experiences!