All reviews the main house park and ride continental breakfast outdoor pool honesty bar local pub country house chalet room boiled eggs lovely walk visiting cambridge smoked salmon self catering excellent shower city centre lovely room a lovely place to stay
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

This property is just outside Cambridge making it ideal for access it is set in nice grounds with a swimming pool
There is a lovely walk through the fields to the Plough and you should mention that you are staying at Rectory Farm for a 10% discount, which incidentally was not advised to. Us on check in.
We stayed in the chalet which is very nice and the room was well appointed albeit the bed was a bit lumpy.
I thought it may be my reaction to the staff / management style but on reading other reviews it shows it was not me but a real concern, that Basil Fawlty still lives on in real life, albeit the TV season ended long ago
By way of explanation on arrival at the room I noted the wi fi signal was almost non existent on "guest" but the corporate signal and staff signal were full
I then went to the main house and advised them and the response from the staff was basically that's it, a request that I could use the staff connection was met with a flat no as that was for staff.
Only when. Requested if another room was available, as the signal in other parts of the chalet was strong did the staff member then consult the manager
The manager did come over expressing disbelief that the signal was low, however when approaching our room the signal went from high to low, the next thing was a suggestion that I could always go to the common stair area in the chalet to use the wi fi
I advised that I was conversing with Australia and due to the time difference I did not propose to be in the common stair area in the middle of the night.
This promoted him to disappear. Into another room closing the door behind him, he than came back walking towards our room and stated " it's working now" and walked off
When checking out the following day I took the key to the main house and was asked "checking out" I responded yes and handed the key over and that was it, no was everything ok ? No have a good day.
You are in the hospitality industry, so be hospitable and take note of recent reviews for areas of improvement
I do however feel that it will dismissed as just another wringing customer.
Ignore the feedback at your own peril

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DavidvPerth
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We booked a room with a king size bed for 2 nights. We were correctly informed that the room (room 7) was small but were assured that the bed was king size. It wasn't. We asked to be relocated to a room with a king size bed and was told that they had JUST sold the last room. I immediately went on to laterooms and was able to book a king size room. The hotel owner (Allison Foster) told me I would have to pay the difference for the new room.

She wouldn't accept responsibility for incorrectly selling the room and then lied to try to save herself a bit of extra work

We took the new room for one night at no extra charge but were told that if we attempted to cancel either the original booking or the second booking then we would be charged for all rooms. This prevented us from leaving the hotel, having been miss sold the original room, to find another suitable room elsewhere.

Totally unacceptable behaviour

Room Tip: avoid room 7, get everything in writing
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Arnies S
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Rectory Farm Hotel as a recommendation from my boss of somewhere nice to stay in Cambridge.

The building and grounds are stunning and well maintained.

However inside it felt very dated, and could do with an update in terms of keeping with the theme "laura ashley style decor" but more with the time.
Get looking in the country homes mags and Pinterest for inspiration if you decide to decorate ;)

Upon arrival I was asked if I wanted breakfast. I wasn't told what time breakfast was, I wasn't asked how I was, how was my journey etc. just usual chit chat you have with staff upon arrival of a hotel.

Breakfast is 8am-9am. This is not an appropriate time for people who have to go to work. Can I suggest you change the times to 7:30-9:00.

When I asked for a refund or if they could bring some breakfast to my room at 7:30 I felt like I had asked for the world on a silver plate. The lady was quite hostile, whether this is a language barrier thing? I don't know? However it wouldn't hurt to smile?

The room was nice, the bed was very comfortable and the shower was great.

In the room there was no telephone to reception? And no iron?
After the breakfast situation I felt I couldn't ask for an iron so I went to work with creased trousers.

And then when I went to leave the lady took my key and then said, "that's it"

I was so shocked as I was expecting her to say "how was your stay?" Where I would've addressed these issues to her there and then...

So in summary, room for improvement on:

-Staff Politeness, Conversation and important information needs to be given.

-iron in the room.

-telephone in room.

Positives:

-nice grounds and building

-good location to city centre

- good price

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Harriett B
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Have stayed here a couple of times in the last two months. In many ways it is a good place to stay if you want to avoid the ridiculously expensive hotels in central Cambridge. The setting is very pleasant and the rooms clean and comfortable.

However there were one or two issues that spoilt the stays.
The bedroom was quite stuffy and there was a very low beam across the room just where you would want to walk.
The staff on the whole were polite but not over friendly, they didn't seem to be relaxed.
Although the lack of a cooked breakfast didn't matter to me, the fact that it is not served until 8am did as I had to be in Cambridge for meetings at 8.30am. When I did ask whether it was possible to have my breakfast a bit earlier than 8, I was told by the receptionist in no uncertain terms that that was out of the question.
On my return from both stays I received what appeared to be phishing attempts on my bank account which I did report to the manager, but have heard no more about it.
So rather mixed feelings about Rectory Farm.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Yettie_John
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed just one night. Hotel almost straight off junction 13 of M11, that said we didn't have any traffic noise

V close to park and ride and the City tour bus stop.

Reception staff helpful, but the strict 3.00 earliest check in was rigidly enforced

Room was nice, the ensuite v clean and new. Unfortunately our curtains fell off in the night! And room could have been better cleaned (see 3.00 pm check in rule above)

Didn't have breakfast as only continental on offer.

Overall good, but with a little more effort could be great

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple