Stayed for 8 days end of April to start of May. Weather was excellent, the property was well taken care of and the overall appearance of the pools, beach, waterfront sports area and restaurant was excellent. The restaurant was 5 star all the way and you won't be disappointed. We did have a waitress on our past evening that was not very pleasant but she might have been having a bad day and we can all relate to that.
On the low side was our room, initial impression is just as pictured on nonsuch website and has quite a wow factor when you walk in. We stayed in the row directly behind the beachfront villas and had a perfect view of the ocean and lower infinity pool from the second floor balcony of our one bedroom unit. Sounds good to this point and it was, the kitchen was well stocked for making your own meals and the bedroom and bathroom are very nice in appearance.
The lows come with a few strange design flaws, all of the exterior windows on all buildings are not windows at all, they are wood shutters with mesh on the outside, meaning you can hear everything happening everywhere, the weed whippers in the morning, people's doors opening and closing, kids singing at 7am in the apartment beside us(20 feet away) and splashing in the pool not to mention all the sounds of the night from the bedrooms. A little strange, and makes it really hard to sleep in or feel like you have any privacy. Also because the windows are just wooden shades the heat pumps in to any room you don't have AC on, and when you do have AC on it runs constantly because its just going out the windows. While I like to be warm during the day I can't sleep when its 32 in the bedroom so we ran the AC but found the wall mounted reminder to be energy efficient a joke. The doors on the front of the units facing the ocean are glass up top but the lower half are the same wooden shade design and let all the noise and heat in. Add to this no real blinds in the bedroom besides paper thin sheer white bug netting style drapes and if you like to sleep in the dark your out of luck, I prefer to have dark in the morning, especially since the abundance of glass on the doors in the bedroom makes it incredibly bright at shortly after 6am.
We also had a really bad ant problem during our entire stay, we had hundreds of ants in both the kitchen and bathroom as well as the living room, the front desk did send us ant spray but the ants were heavy the moment we walked in and would have been nicer if they changed our room and took care of the problem, or sent someone in to clean it up rather than us chase them around with paper towel and a spray can and unfortunately even after the housekeeping throughout the week most of the dead ants that were left after we sprayed did not get cleaned up. I realize ants can be a problem, but we aren't just talking about a few ants here and there, it was hundreds at times and they were there every day.
I don't want to give you a bad impression, just want you to be aware of the things we didn't hear about in other reviews.
One thing we wish we had of done more of is take advantage of the waterfront, the sports people are incredibly nice and very informative and the trip to green island for a snorkel is worth every penny, it's amazing! We also appreciated the resort being so secluded and far from the main touristy areas, it was nice to be so remote. The dirt road in is not that big of a deal, if you are renting a car and driving it each day then I guess it could get annoying but we didn't mind the trip in and out.
We probably won't be back, just due to the room issues, we were taking our first trip away from our 2 year old daughter and were excited to sleep in each day, unfortunately we were up at 6:30 each morning because of the cars passing by early( the road is 15 feet from the wooden windows and the staff comes in pretty early) and the noises from other rooms and guests along with the blazing light in the room.
I also feel that a premium priced resort should have looked into our bug problem further and put us in a different room right off the start, there was hardly anyone at the resort our first day and many other 1 bedroom units available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nonsuch Bay Resort nestles in forty exotic acres of the stunning bay carved out of the southeast of Antigua; embraced by lush tropical hills, a uniquely private and serene setting, a tranquil haven and home to wildlife including dolphins and turtles. Pure relaxation is blended with out-an-out adrenalin, and the finest luxuries with the simplest of pleasures. Resort facilities comprise a dramatically positioned restaurant, 3 infinity swimming pools, seclude sandy beach, 30 sailboats and tuition, kitesurfing, windsurfing, SUPs and spa treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, West Indies, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Nonsuch Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nonsuch Bay Hotel Freetown
- Nonsuch Bay Resort Antigua/Freetown