“Best Kept Secret”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Freetown
Edmonton, Canada
“Best Kept Secret”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Having stayed at many resorts in Antigua This is by far the best.
From the moment you arrive you are greeted with a rum punch at reception which was handled with elegance.Everyone here is friendly and professional Zoe goes out of her way to explain everything.The manager Grant made you feel welcome and escorted you to your room.
The accomodations are first class,everything was clean and the whole villa was airy all the time.
The restaurant was excellent food gourmet With a changing menue evey few days how can you not like ? While it is out of the way you are away from all the busy touristy areas of Antigua
which makes this place exceptional.You are within a 10 min drive of the best beach in Antigua Half Moon Bay!
Dont pay attention to the bad reviews this place is a GEM

Room Tip: Try room 712 partially blocked by palm trees but still you can see the water very private
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I am recently back from an 8 day visit to the island of Antigua. I was lucky enough to hear about the resort through friends so I was really looking forward to staying at the Nonsuch Bay Resort and left wondering how I can get back and stay for even longer.

Apart from the sun and the great food I most wanted to try my hand at sailing. Up until this trip my total sailing experience had been one of sitting on a friend's boat and drinking g and t's. The resort's combination of great instructors (thanks Mickey!!!), a variety of boats and a non stop on shore breeze helped me to go from a total novice/menace to an able helper and a quasi confident skipper. On the last day I went out with both my girlfriend and a couple of teenagers and we really had a blast. Between the turtles, tuna, sun and wind I couldn't believe that our trip was coming to an end!

I would be amiss if I didn't mention three other special people. Charmaine, Juanita and Chef Mitchell thank you for making my trip so special. Each in your own way and in your own profession you made a difference and for that the least I can do is say thank you again and I hope to see you when I next come back.

Sincerely

Peter

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pennington ,N.J.
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We recently traveled with our 11 year old son to Antigua's Nonsuch Bay hotel. Yes, it is off a dirt road, but once you are on the property it's all well landscaped and serene.
We loved the in room check in
and Zoe explained everything.
Zoe and all of the front desk staff are very helpful( I'm bad at names but the Hotel's owners should know that they are doing an exemplary job!
The waitresses staff is just ok.
This is typical Caribbean waitress service( slow and uninspired), no big deal.
The chief is phenomenal!
Every order was perfect!
My only complaint is that there is an "extra charge" for a second pot of coffee( the waitresses warn you)Come on, really? $10 for a second pot!
How much could some coffee beans and water cost?
The waitresses bring a basket of toast to every breakfast- how about eliminating the toast especially if I've ordered Pancakes or French toast as my meal. The coffee was outstanding French press- always hot and tasty.
The rooms are spacious and well decorated. Maybe add a mat to keep sand away.
The rooms have huge covered porches- perfect to relax and read under. Our room (602)had an annoying buzz from the A/C but otherwise was great. All of the doors swing open wide to the breezes, but despite no screens, few if any bugs flew in.
The beach was ok: mostly seaweed but gentle waves. There are many sailboats available to rent, maybe the hotel should offer a few free kayaks.
All in all, a good value for the money, breakfast is pricey so consider buying a few groceries on the ride in. Also I think the hotel not charge extra for asking the cab driver to stop for groceries unless there is excessive time spent at the store. Somehow this cost could be included and reconciled with the cab company.
We wish the hotel owners well
and hope to see the resort prosper.

• Stayed November 2013
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Having read other reviews we expected a lot from Nonsuch Bay, but our expectations were exceeded! The location, while remote, is beautiful. The two bedroom apartment was as nice in person as in the pictures. The restaurant has an amazing view, chef and staff. David was bartender par excellence! What really made our vacation though was the waterfront staff. They made us feel like royalty! Boats were ready when we asked, Natasha sailed with us just long enough to confirm that we knew what we were doing, and they took us out to several beautiful, deserted beaches on Green Island and picked us up exactly when we had agreed. We would definitely recommend Nonsuch Bay to anyone that wants to relax, dine, sail and snorkel!

1 Thank HughKaren
UK
Reviewed 2 December 2013

While on holiday to Antigua again I was treated to a couple of nights at Nonsuch Bay resort for my Birthday and it was heaven. The resort was fabulous, the apartment was lovely it was pure luxury, the staff were friendly and helpful and really made my Birthday special. We had a fantastic time relaxing by the infinity pool and we even went on a trip they organised to Green Island for a spot of snorkelling which was amazing.
The apartment was self catering so we went to the restaurant on the resort and it was sooooo good that we ate here for all of our meals and didn't need to leave the resort.
Would definitely go back.

1 Thank R Y
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

As part of our tour of Antigua we stayed here for 2 nights arriving by jeep (rental). Before hand I was unsure of what to expect and booked mainly for the sailing, we are in our late 20s and like relaxing but also with activities. When we arrived the resort looked huge but quietly built into a steep cove overlooking the large bay. We were greeted by the manager and rum punch while booking in and then shown to our room.

The rooms, which are actually apartments, are huge, 1st floor. Enormous lounge with dining table, plenty of seating, very modern kitchen, huge king-size bed, even bigger bathroom with jet bath tub. There was a huge rap around balcony lovely to have breakfast on, overlooking infinity pool and bay. These apartments could fit a large family and they are just for 2 people! It seems the hotel manages most rooms but a lot of the smaller apartments are owned privately.

We didn't have the half-board option. Decided just to have dinner at the restaurant. The restaurant was amazing. Best food we had in Antigua and this is reflected in the price but well worth it. The Service was exceptional. Expect 25% taxes and service on top of every price you see. We were invited to a managers cocktail party with complimentary wines to try, good to talk to people. It was pre-high season but still a good mixture of guests. Mainly 40-60s with a few younger couples.

Pools were great and big enough for swimming a few lengths. The restaurant pool has an amazing view but does catch the breeze. Good for sipping a cocktail. The beach is good (probably man made). The sailing was great. I recommend the Hobie cat. It was so fast and we had great wind. Beached at green Island which was beautiful for a little walk. The guys on the water are great, they prep everything for you and keep a look out incase you're having any trouble. Go for the pre-booked sailing package, it is great value.

Overall this place is great and relaxing, amazing service, apartments, sailing, food. Would stay 4 days max (but we like to keep moving). Good for couples (off-season). Also, there are no local shops so make sure you stock up in St Johns if you want to self-cater. Half moon bay is an amazing beach round the corner so rent a car. Dirt track is not that bad. Recommended!

Room Tip: 1st floor overlooking first pool from the beach. Other couples recommended the sunset sailing cham...
1 Thank drbenk2009
North Carolina
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was thinking about how I was going to write this review last night. When I got to work today I read the three following reviews from apbinet, sugarcubeBrighton, and EKD2013 and thought that there was no way that I could write anything more complete than they did. When I read their reviews, it was as if I was reliving our week-long vacation. My wife and I have visited many Caribbean islands, and a couple of places in Central America and we have not found any place else that we like more. Forgive my cheesiness, but the way that the entire team took care of us, it it was more like being at home than I have experienced anywhere else. We had a driver for the week (Sam from Vernon's Taxi Service) who became like a member of our family.

I know that we will return to Nonsuch Bay as soon as humanly possible. I can't imagine not going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor one bedroom apartment.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sugarbad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freetown
Blue Waters Antigua
Galley Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Five Islands Village
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua
St. James's Club & Villas

Been to Nonsuch Bay Resort? Share your experiences!