“Not bad for on the beach food”
Review of Smiling Harry's

Smiling Harry's
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Freetown
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: When entering the National Park "Half Moon Bay" just west of Freetown, you cant miss Smiling Harry's Restaurant and Bar.
Mercer Island, Washington
“Not bad for on the beach food”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We ate at Harry's at the suggestion of our taxi driver, Vincent. Apparently Vincent and Harry are old friends. Great cuisine? No. But it was serviceable diner-style food. Much more than you would expect from a beachside shack. We had barbecued chicken, read beans and rice, potato salad, and green salad. There is no menu, so Harry (who has a stunning resemblance to Samuel l Jackson, as Vincent pointed out) just rattles off two or three things to choose from. All in all, not a place to go out of your way to go too, but a perfectly serviceable option if you are looking for something to eat while swimming at half moon bay.

• Visited May 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Every beach should have a Harrys”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

It's all about the food and service here. After our family finishes on the beach, we stopped here for lunch. The service was efficient and the food authentic Caribbean. With daily choices available from a limited menu, you won't be disappointed. Casual, relaxed and by the beach, it was so good we returned another three times for lunch and the plates were empty every time. We loved it - I'm sure you will to!

Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
“Very strong rum punch served here.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I loved visiting Smiling Harry's. He and his family are very friendly. We ate hamburgers and enjoyed fresh rum punch. And believe me, the rum punch can flatten you quick. It's really strong. If you have a rental car, have a designated driver.
The beach near the eating area (eating area is outdoors, but semi covered) is very clean and quiet. There is usually someone there selling local crafts to tourists. Worth the visit for the rum punch alone.

• Visited December 2013
Palm Springs, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

There is no one quite like Harry.
We love Half Moon Bay and Smiling Harry. For the past eight years we've spent the month of August in Antigua right above HMB. We go to the beach every day, and every day we stop at Harry's for drinks and conversation. Harry is a wonderful person, and his establishment is always full of interesting people from around the world. We even find our way to Harry's place when we stop in Antigua while o a cruise. That should tell you how much we enjoy Smiling Harry!

• Visited August 2013
Watkins Glen, New York
“Best Day EVER!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

It's been 5 years (though the date I had to select says differently), but I think about our experience at Smiling Harry's almost daily and HAD to write about it! I recall saying to our friend who'd taken us there (who had grown up with a family villa just above Half Moon Bay which he still owns), "I don't think I could be ANY more content and happy than I am right now.....". Harry was an amazing host. The food was fantastic. It was a Sunday and we danced with locals to the music while we enjoyed the BEST rum punch we had had on the entire trip. My hubby was a "tv chef" at the time and Harry graciously allowed us to film. I felt like Antony Bourdain (a fave of mine) being welcomed into local lore! Going back with our grown kids is on my Bucket List!

• Visited April 2013