“OK motel”

540 on Great South Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otahuhu
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This motel is in a good location in the sense that it has some decent restaurants and supermarket nearby, while at the same time being airport-accessible. The room itself was totally fine for me and my brother and had everything we needed (beds, big bathroom, and small kitchenette that was sufficient for what we needed it for).

However, I did have two concerns while we were staying at the 540 -- the first was that the woman who worked at the reception came off a bit rude. When we arrived, we came via airport shuttle (the man who drove that shuttle was absolutely wonderful and I want to give him credit for that here) and had to fly out again the following day, and so requested the shuttle for the next day. My brother asked quite nicely, but the response he got was, "I guess," which came off rather rude to me.

My second concern was that we paid for unlimited wifi, but were unable to connect to it in our room. When I asked about this, I was told to walk around the room to look for a better signal. What I ended up having to do was walk out of the room and down the hall to pick up a decent signal. Now, I would've endured this had the wifi been free, but since we paid, that was pretty ridiculous.

Overall, if I absolutely had to, I would stay again, as the place is cheap and in a decent area, but I'd be a little more cautious the second time around.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Does what it says on the tin. Everything we needed was available. Comfortable bed and not too far from the airport. Just be aware there are several 540 on the Great South Road - each district has its own- turn up at the right one or you'll get a really nice Chinese man on the doorstep - we thought we had booked a right crock - we hadn't.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We`d stayed for some nights at the 540 Motel and it was ok.The room we`ve had was an economy room,very small.The room comes with kitchenette,tv and a fridge.The motel is located in a southern suburb of Auckland,but you can go with the public bus or train to the Auckland CBD.
The owners were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This motel is well located, well priced and our room was very comfortable. Booked through Wotif and it seemed to be the best accommodation choice available.
Hosts were friendly and obliging.

Our room was cleaned each day, no problems.
I would recommend this motel and certainly look forward to returning on our next visit to Auckland. The motel seemed to be rather busy each night which is always a good sign of a well run motel.

No issues whatsoever. Thank you for an enjoyable stay. We will be back!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here for one night. Staff pleasant, room clean, no road noise to speak of. The only negative was the foldout bed our daughter slept on, it was not at all comfortable but easily sorted by putting the mattress on the floor! Would stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Thanks Sam and family. Booked at the last minute when June 21st storm upset our travel plans re flying out from NZ. Staff could not have been more helpful. I was shattered from travelling and had a great R and R

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My friend and I shared a twin studio room from the 21st August for three nights and also made extensive use of the Motel's side-business, a shuttle service!

Transfers from the airport are free, and must be sorted with the staff beforehand. Sam, the owner was absolutely wonderful, and was very helpful at sorting pre-booked shuttles for us and making sure we had everything we needed.

We had booked a trip to Matamata, for the Hobbiton tour but had grossly misjudged the distance and public transport options available (curse you Google Maps!) so Sam managed to get one of the shuttle drivers to agree to take us there (2hrs both ways) and wait for 3hrs as we took the tour! It cost a fortune (obviously) but everyone at the Motel really helped us make the most of our stay and nothing was too much trouble.

We even got very good restaurant and visitor attraction recommendations from them! Better than any i-site I visited.

As a side note- I did find my lost memory card in my rucksack guys, thanks for checking for me!

Room Tip: Our room (I think it was 11) was lovely, but in the summer it's right by the smokers area, so pr...