“Unreal wine, make the effort it's totally with it”
Review of Brown Hill Estate

Brown Hill Estate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Brown Hill Estate is a family owned boutique winery in Margaret River. Our grapes are dry-grown to produce our signature style of deeply coloured, intensely flavoured wines.Our estate grown include wines for every occasion from everyday drinking wines to our extra special Reserve Red Wines. Our 2008 Perseverance Cabernet Merlot was awarded 96 points by Ray Jordan in his 2011 WA Wine Guide and our 2010 Chaffers Shiraz was named 'Best Value Wine' in his 2012 WA Wine Guide.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Unreal wine, make the effort it's totally with it”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were recommended this winery, By this time we had spent considerable time tasting wines and buying probably way too many. We arrived at the large packing shed, no fancy architect designed show piece here.

We were greeted by a friendly, helpful and knowledgeable lady, offered tastings of all they produced, we were only interested in Margaret River Cab Sav. The Ivanhoe was the wine of our preference, and we purchased a dozen for shipping, along with a complementary bottle to take home that evening.

We drank the complementary bottle, and decided then and there we had to go back the next day and purchase another dozen to be shipped home.

This time we were greeted by an older gentleman, what a fountain of knowledge, and the most amazing sense of humour.

Do yourself a favour and visit Brown Hill Estate Wines. you won't be disappointed.

Visited May 2014

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“So Dissapointed”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife, father and I were recommended this amongst 3 other local wineries.
We loved the idea of the small producer selling from a shed and was encouraged by the possibility of finding my ideal red.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a happy little dog that ran out to meet us but unfortunately that is really where the interactive experience ended.
Once inside we were met by an older lady who greeted us with a grunt despite our cheery entrance. Once it was finally established that we were there to taste wine we found the process hard work, being comfortable in this environment of giveaways is an important part of marketing.
Despite letting our host know that we had been recommended we found any (and their weren't many) tastings very much not offered but instead we had to persistently ask, with each sample being delivered with a brief cold statement of facts and very little else.
After two samples I called it quits and was not interested in almost having to beg to try a wine sample. Funnily enough the red I tried was one of my favorite however I can honestly say that I will not buy a wine from anywhere with such poor service skills.
The only time that I would return here is to take a class as a demonstration of how not to operate in a marketing or service industry.
If you don't like people coming in, don't have a cellar door.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank Alicant
Glenbrook, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great wine from a shed”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great wine. One of the best we tasted in Margaret River. Probably could update the tasting area but stay in the shed but will buy more wine from there.

Visited February 2014
Brisbane, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great wine and some stories on the side”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I had the wonderful pleasure of stopping by this cellar door today.
As we entered the shed we were reminded of many a cellar door we have visited in the past in our "Local" wine region of Stanthorpe.

We met, and were thoroughly entertained by Jim, winemaker Nathan's dad, who proudly regaled us with the history of the label, wine names and life inside Brown Hill winery. Being a "Brown" prior to marriage I had no doubt we would be tasting greatness, and was not disappointed.

The Golden Horse Chardonnay was divine, as were the Ivanhoe Reserve Cab Sav and the Fimiston Reserve Shiraz. Our last taste, the Bill Bailey Shiraz Cab, was exceptional! Of course we had to send a carton home across to the east, and I am sure it will be the first of many.

Regardless of how long you spend in the gorgeous Margaret River region make sure you put Brown Hill wines at the top of your list to visit. I know you won't be disappointed..

Visited February 2014
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Love It!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Take a trip to the east side of Margaret River. This winery is not to be missed. Wine lovers rejoice. Great selection with fantastic value. The reserves are my favorite and stunning value. Friendly family winery with a cute dog and amazing wine. What else could you want?

Visited November 2013

Been to Brown Hill Estate? Share your experiences!