“Lunch”

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Portesham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Burton Bradstock, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were passing and decided to stop for lunch as the gardens were good for our dog. I ordered at the bar, one tea, one black coffee, BLT sandwich for me and a warm Brie salad for my wife, a total cost of £18.50. Not cheap but for good quality food it was not a problem.

The tea and coffee was made as I waited and I carried it to our table.

When the food arrived we were very disappointed at the size of the Brie salad, very small for the price and not served with any bread, roll etc so all in all not much food at all

Mt BLT sandwich was good but I had to share it with my wife so she had enough to eat. We are not huge people our big eaters but the size of the salad was very small.

There was no comment card on the table and noone came and asked us if everything was OK. After we had fiunished eating we sat there for a while allowing the food to go down but still nobody approached us.

Having ordered a nice sounding lunch we were left wanting so I am afraid we will not be visiting again. It looks a lovely pub but the service was slow, which is not a problem if the food is being prepared fresh every time, but the lack of customer service was a concern

1 Thank Graham C
KingsArmsPortesham, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Graham C

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience with us.

Obviously not happy to read that you left unsatisfied. Although you do not state clearly, I am assuming you sat in the garden - which will possibly explain why you were not checked back on - which in all fairness would have probably overcome the issues. As you will know - it is a large garden, and operationally (if we have had a surge of visitors) is not always easy to check back quickly - hence we state on the menu we do not offer table service in the garden... however you do still always try to check back, and on this thank you for raising the valid point.

With regards the Brie Salad - it is only listed as a Starter size, and priced accordingly. If this was not large enough, we often get asked to increase it to a larger portion, which are more than happy to do.

Great to hear you enjoyed your BLT - albeit not the whole sandwich.

Do please visit us again, introduce yourselves - and please talk with your server about any dish you are thinking of ordering - any query on size can always be answered.

Hopefully you will understand the operational problem with such a large garden - which we are working hard to overcome.

With best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
west norfolk
“What a happy mistake......”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were travelling from Weymouth to Charmouth and quite frankly we took the wrong road - we meant to go on the larger of the two roads between these places. what a good job we did! We happened upon the Kings Arms when we were all thinking of looking for somewhere to have lunch. The weather was fabulous so we chose a table outside. There were six of us as well as three dogs and we were impressed to see that dog bowls had been thoughtfully left outside. The menu was very good - items that were suitable for all tastes. what we particularly appreciated was that many of the main courses are serviced in two different sizes and, as three of our party were elderly ladies with reasonably small appetites, it was really helpful that they could order what they wanted safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't be bombarded by huge amounts of food. The food itself was freshly cooked and of excellent quality. The presentation was really good and the service was both friendly and professional. We couldn't fault the lunch and as well as being of high quality the prices were incredibly reasonable. Had we been staying nearby we would certainly returned one evening as the interior of the Kings Arms is extremely well appointed and stylish (I can also confirm that the loos are very good!) Regrettably it wasn't really within easy reach of our accommodation to return in the evening. Nevertheless, we have recommended this pub in the Guest Book at our accommodation so hopefully other guests will have the opportunity to sample what is English pub food at its best. Many thanks!

• Visited June 2014
KingsArmsPortesham, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Hi Familygroup98, and thanks for taking the time to review your experience.

Great to read that you appreciated our menu and the work and effort we have put into making the property a pleasant place to relax and enjoy a meal.

And thank you for recommending us in your accommodations book. As always, word of mouth and personal recommendations is always our best form of marketing.

Many thanks
“Extortionate Wine”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I went here on a Friday evening for a few drinks. I took a seat in the garden and my husband went to buy some drinks as he likes to choose his cider. I asked him for a regular sized glass of white wine, however he returned with a large 250 ml glass. We had three drinks each in total, my 2nd and 3rd glasses of wine were both 175 mls. I was astounded to find out on paying the bill that the 600 ml of wine had cost over £21. My husband was told that the large glasses were over £8 and the regular glasses were over £6. Having been in London earlier in the week and bought a very nice 175ml of white wine in a bar for £4.55 I cannot fathom why this wine was so expensive. We have drank in lots of pubs in the area and I have never been paid such a high price for a glass of wine by the glass, even a nice New Zealand. Yes we should have checked the wine list to see the prices, but equally when you ask for a glass of white I would expect the bar staff to alert you to the fact that it is over £8 a glass or perhaps the idea is to offer the most expensive wine there is!

2 Thank Bevilars
Finchampstead, United Kingdom
“Very, very, enjoyable eating experience”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Dinner here for 4, and it was really rather good. The front of house guy (Romanian, ex USA) is just a joy and sets the tone for the whole place. Very lovely setting, lovely pub / restaurant and altogether a really good night. The menu and wine list are good and not too expensive. Altogether very nice experience. I have never given anyone a 5 rating, but I would certainly give this 4.5

It is not local to us, sadly, but we will be back when next in Dorset.

• Visited June 2014
KingsArmsPortesham, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear victhegeordie6

Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Great to see you gave us 4.5, and from a senior contributor, that is always great to receive.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Dorset.

Best regards
Wiltshire
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had two meals there whilst on holiday nearby. Both presented well and tasted good. Also not too expensive.

Visited May 2014
Dear evieWiltshire

Thanks for taking the time to write your review following your experiences with us. Great to hear we met your expectations and delivered to the standards we set for ourselves. We trust your holiday in Dorset was equally enjoyable and look forward to seeing you if you visit again in the future.

Best regards