“The spa is a bit of a joke, otherwise its totally average”

Quality Suites Bordeaux Aeroport
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Merignac
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We arrived at 11am but were not able to check in until 2.30pm. Despite knowing we were there hanging around they made no effort whatsoever to get a room ready for us a little early. Luckily there is an outside area and bar which are ok to sit in (though the radio is very irritating in the bar as it is talking instead of music which doesn't go well with reading/chatting).
The outside pool, despite being right next to the road and car park, is actually quite a nice little pool as well, just a shame that when using it you are being watched by all the business people smoking cigarettes in between meetings.
When finally allowed to check in, we found the room was comfortable enough, although the kitchenette was not all that well set up - could have done with kettle, toaster and hob. The shower was also a little bit weak though not too bad.

The absolute worse part was the spa. As we had had a heavy weak travelling we just wanted to stay near the airport and chill out for the last day, so we had booked a 'cocooning suite and spa' deal, thinking we could spend the afternoon chilling out in the spa. When we finally checked in we went up to the spa and were told the pool wasn't open and to come back at 4pm. At 4.30pm we went back and were told it still wasn't ready and to come back in an hour, despite the fact that the spa closed at 7pm. We were also told we had to get changed in our room and walk down in only our costumes and bathrobes because, despite the fact that there was a changing room (a open unisex one!) with lockers, we as paying hotel guests were not allowed to use them!

So 5.30pm we are finally allowed in the spa, and was it worth the wait - hell no, it wasn't. The 'swimming pool' is so small that all you can really do is tread water in there, and it isn't even warm. There is no jacuzzi function either. We could have produced much the same effect by staying in the room and filling up the bath with cool water.
The hammam is NOT a proper hammam. It is in fact a very average steam room.
The whole place has dark brown walls which look like they have mouldy patches everywhere, the floor is dirty with hair collected in all the drains.
We lasted 30 mins and then went back to our room disappointed. Not worth the extra euros.

There aren't really many places to eat in the area. When trying to order a club sandwich for 12 euros, it turned out it was in fact a ham salad sandwich and did not even come with french fries. To call this a club sandwich would most likely come under false advertising in the UK.

Room Tip: Don't bother doing the 'cocooning suite and spa' deal, it is NOT worth the money.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gem2323

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here for a week during a business trip. The rooms were very nice and clean. However, they did not have any wash clothes for the shower. The variety of foods for breakfast was very good and the service at breakfast was great. They also had a very nice restaurant onsite for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travel_r3ady
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights in August 2013; our son and grandson joined for a long weekend. We originally booked for longer, but left early because of the fleas.

I chose the hotel because of the suite facilities and because it seemed well placed as a location from which to explore the Bordeaux wine region and to vist our daughter, holidaying in Sanguinet. Unfortunately, the hotel did not live up to either our expectations or the description in the impressive on-line brochure.

Whilst the hotel is conveniently close to the Bordeaux mtorway ring and airport (1 Km) and does not suffer from noise problems, it is an airport hotel and the area in which it is located is not particularly pleasant. We thought the decor was tired; the pool too small and exposed. The first room we were allocated looked out onto a blind wall. The offered alternative had an ill-equipped kitchen (no easy way to make coffee - we had to go and buy a filter and boil water in a saucepan - and only one large and one small cup; no wine opener, ...). Though I have a very weak sense of smell, my wife assures me that the room had an unpleasant smell (we went to buy ai rfresheners) - and on day three I overheard another guest insisting on a change of rooms because of the smell in the one she had been given. The bed was comfortable but my wife awoke with multiple flea bites which gradually became inflamed and intolerably itchy, eventually necessitating medical attention. We had a similar experience years ago in the Bourgogne area when we stayed in a room that had recently been occupied by someone with a flea-ridden dog. My wife is very sensitive to such things (I am not, so only suffered from mild itching) and we were probably just unlucky with the particular room, but still... The airco worked fine, but periodically emitted horrible growling noises, waking us in the middle of the night.

My son and grandson's suite was better (it didn't smell and did not suffer from the flea problem) but had an equally ill-equipped kitchen and no dishwasher.

Also disappointing was the fact that the main resturant (L'Iguane) proved to be closed for the month of August. Possibly HRS tried to tell us that when I booked (the reservation confirmaton said meals not avilable) but this wasn't clear and I thought it was simply because the restaurant is independent of the hotel. Fortunately, the second restaurant (see review of l'Olive de Mer) was open on the first two nights, but was closed on the Saturday. The bar was also closed that day, forcing us to go across to the Novotel, which seemed to be much more pleasant than the Quality Suites - it has a much nicer and more secluded pool and a nice play area for children.

We had intended to have room service breakfast on the first morning but quickly changed our mind when we discovered that this cost EUR 25,00 per person - very expensive if you only want some jucie, a croisssant and some coffee.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jlw30
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Quality Suites, Bordeaux Airport, charged my credit card after I made my reservation. But when I arrived at the hotel, the reservation wasn’t found, either by confirmation number or by my name. The clerk suspiciously inspected the printed copy of the confirmation and told me it wasn’t valid. Once he decided I was attempting some sort of swindle he made no attempt to resolve the problem.

We still needed a place to stay and the hotel had vacancies. We were assigned to a room for disabled persons - but badly designed. It had curtain-less shower stall just 12 inches deep. Because of the splashed water, the bathroom tiles and grout were grimy.

I had to pay for the room on checkout. When we returned from the trip, I called the Quality Suites – Choice Hotels reservation number, requesting credit for the double charge. The customer service agent had no difficulty finding my “lost” reservation. While the agent was sympathetic,franchised hotels are responsible for refunds. The agent contacted the hotel and described the situation but management insisted that I write out a narrative and submit it to the hotel. Looking at earlier traveler reviews, I see this hotel has double charged other travelers. Happily, I used a credit card that allows me to contest such treatment.

If you are interested in advance booking of a comfortable room close to the Bordeaux airport (and paying the advertised price), you need to select a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D3California
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

Called hotel as soon as I came out of airport & they sent hotel shuttle bus to pick me up. My room wasn't ready immediately, so I got a drink from the bar & sat in the comfortable lounge area. I waited only about 5 mins & was told that my room was ready by the very helpful male receptionist. I speak very little French but I always make an effort, this didn't go down too well with 2 of the female staff on reception & if looks could kill I would've died on the spot! That is the only downside of my stay though. Rooms are big & clean. Really comfy king size bed & lovely pillows. Microwave, fridge in my room. Some rooms have more cooking facilities & dishwasher & some also have DVD players etc. Although I didn't eat in the restaurant, I heard that the food was very good. They have 3* Michelin restaurant & a bistro. Nice seating area outside. There is a great bus service that stops pretty much outside the hotel that goes in to Bordeaux Centre (Quinconces) only 1.40 euro. Takes 30 mins, but no air con , on the day we went the mercury was touching 30• so be warned!! Really enjoyed this hotel, good breakfast too. Will return again hopefully

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Hotel was characterless, stuffy and depressing due to the bland brown/cream colour scheme throughout. On our arrival we were unable to find any staff for 10 minutes, until we found someone in a stock room. The female receptionist (on seeing two women) asked us if we wanted single beds rather than the double we had booked! (not gay friendly). Her manner was curt towards us and towards her male colleague. The male receptionist attempted to charge us for the room again despite us having prepaid for the room via the internet, however his manner was slightly more pleasant. There was a vending machine selling food, and the bar was closed up (sunday afternoon). Food in the restaurant was adequate but expensive for what it was. The waiter was unfriendly in his manner. The swimming pool depicted on their website, was much smaller than the picture depicted and it was located next to the hotel car park at the front of the hotel, by a busy road.
Having stayed at hotels all over the world, this is probably the worst 'airport hotel' I have had the misfortune to experience. The one plus point was that the business room we were allocated had a very well kitted out kitchennette and good TV music system. Missbrightonrocker

Room Tip: business suite is bland but well equipped.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The rooms were spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable.
The bar area was open plan and modern and the free WiFi worked really well..
Breakfast was lovely with different eggs and that lovely smoky streaky bacon and loads of continental choices. All in all a great stay and would recommend. Shame I wasn't there longer to enjoy the pool & spa, just rated it excellent anyway as I am sure it would be....

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merignac
Comte d’Ornon Hotel & Spa
Ibis Styles Bordeaux Aeroport
Novotel Bordeaux Aeroport
Novotel Bordeaux Aeroport
#8 of 23 in Merignac

Been to Quality Suites Bordeaux Aeroport? Share your experiences!