“Whitout atmosphere”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Tinqueux
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Whitout atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for one night in an ordinary room. The room was spacious, but very unpractical, as there were no washbasin at the toilet. The internet was slow and disconnecting all the time. I personal did not like the decoration, a bit to modern, and the terrace outside were really ugly, with everything in plastic. The breakfast for 33 euro did almost only offer sweet and unhealthy stuff, the boiled eggs were cold. I missed some homemade granola whit out sugar, more healthy bread etc.
Paying around 1.000 euro for one night in the Hotel and dinning in the restaurant was not good value for money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is really very nice, as is well documented the location leaves a lot to be desired. But the hotel has done it’s best to transport you from a ‘rundown suburb’ location, to something quite special the moment you turn into the gates of the Hotel.

The room is pleasant and whilst the bathroom fitting are (like me) showing their age, they serve their purpose adequately.

The attention to detail in this hotel is stunning. From the tempting sweet cake/marshmallow (calling it a cake doesn’t do it justice) on arrival to the ‘turn-down’ bathroom refresh whilst your eating.

But the star of the show is the main event - DINNER! The restaurant is beautiful the level of service faultless and the food is absolutely stunning – eye wateringly expensive, but still stunning!

What can I say, if you want to treat yourself and you’re near Reims you won’t go far wrong with L’Assiette Champenoise. Just forget the price for one night, immerse yourself in their wonderful restaurant and be transported to another culinary planet!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jim S
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We had a junior suite for a night to go with the dinner. A spacious modern affair with second stores views to green gardens lush trees and outdoor decking. Oddly the toilet is the opposite end of the suite but does not come with own sink. Everything else in the room was spacious, luxurious and beautiful

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CPSVS P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We booked this Hotel last year, as part of our Champagne Trip, where we pick up a few bottles to bring back home and learn more about Champagne.
The hotel boasts 5 stars, but I'm not convinced, as there is a 2-tier effect here. The main house seems to have executive rooms that are very high standard, but the ordinary rooms, like we had were only equal to a UK hotel of 4star really. The pool, which you would expect to be nicely tiled but was in fact a poorly installed liner, was in a room with a corrugated roof instead of something more elegant, which was disappointing. Our room had no rubber seal to the glazed part of the bath/shower so the bathroom was afloat after use. This was reported and corrected by the hotel. Plug sockets were lose and detached. Bed linen didn’t fit the bed properly. Room water was not replenished, nor were the bathroom items, and we were woken several nights by the smokers in the room next to us, lighting up at 12 midnight, 3 am and 6 am, as somehow, the smell of smoke was breaching into our room by the bed headboard. Must have been coming through cable ducts or something. Trouble is, this woke me as I could smell smoke. So not a good night’s sleep.
The hotel said there was nothing they could do about this.
The breakfast, cost 33 Euro, which is expensive for what it was, although the food is of good quality. Watch out for the runny middle in the omelette. However the staff seemed unhelpful when additional glasses were asked for water and orange juice, or extra cutlery was required.
The response of “It’s on the table” was unnecessarily unhelpful.
The Restaurant, is 3 Michelin star, but, (and this is where I have had much time for reflective thought), is obscenely expensive. My quandary is ‘When does food cease to become food and when does it become art?’ I do dine in good fine dining restaurants in London, some have a Michelin star, but at over £400 for two, to eat artwork, I don’t know, I think this is beyond me really. However to his credit, the chef is in attendance and is not just a cameo role like so many others.
The cars that arrived on Saturday night were the cars of the idle rich with too much money to spend. This seems to be the usual clientele and we were told that there is a waiting list for the restaurant locally.
Checking out was an experience too. The breakfast booked at 29 euro last year had become 33 euro, the rooms had also increased from that booked by 5 euro, and I had bought a round of drinks, 16 euro per small glass of champagne, and a small half glass (approx. a cupful) of cloudy blonde beer, so that was 2 champagnes and 2 beers came to over 50 euro. The other nights we dined and did drinks elsewhere, so the hotel decided to multiply my drinks round so that I was charged for the same each day, adding over 150 euro to my bill for phantom drinks that we did not have. The response of "Oh I thought you would have had the same every day" from the receptionist wasn't convincing. Shame they have to overcharge when they are obviously doing good business.
So watch your hotel bill carefully upon leaving.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I were last here 12 years ago when we had one of the most memorable meals in a most charming quintessentially French restaurant… that has now been handed down to the 'new' generation. Good or bad? Both. The good is that the staff is pleasant, the service is outstanding - there are 7 sommeliers! - and the food is excellent. The pairing of wines and food - all suggestions of the sommelier who waited on us - were inspired. Parmesan and Krug? It works! The bad is that it's pricey - €433 for a meal for a 5-course meal for 2 and wine for 1 (1 glass per course) - that the decor that was once so chic and typical of place is now 'faux' and trendy - in the restaurant, you could be in Dubai, Hong Kong, New York… it's lost its charm* - and that piped pop (awful, tinny pop) is everywhere - who needs or wants it? The staff was good enough to turn it down, though. Breakfast was excellent - as it should be at €33/head - and the hotel room fine but one needs a car to go anywhere of interest from there. (* = in the men's loos, just by the urinals, there's a magnificent modern reclining armchair and a matching footstool… but who would want to recline with a good book there?!)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BNSW19
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Have been there with my boyfriend during our tour in Champagne region. The experience at Assiette worth absolutely the time you spent to reach Tinqueux, a small town just outside Reims.
Just rewarded by the 3rd star, chef Lallement presents a fantastic menu with delicate but well-defined flavors, like a good champagne.
Since it was our first visit, we preferred to take the Heritage menu to follow the full sensorial ‘voyage’ offered by the chef. The menu was based on high quality ingredients with a bias on fish dishes probably due to the fact that we are in late spring. Everything was obviously perfect, but the lobster dish was just sublime! You can feel all the passion expressed by Monsieur Lallement (the Father) in creating that recipe that has been expertly inherited by Monsieur Lallement (the Son).
Great service and comfortable surroundings have completed our experience. We almost didn’t notice that 3 hours have flown away since our arrival at the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zwbzw
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been a l'Assiette many times, five or six or even more: it's one in the preferred list, and I regularly call in when I travel Alsace & Marne (almost every Spring). This year I'll go in late September, and I'll book, of course. The only problem is the restaurant : in Reims I have to stand a big fight in myself, because the restaurant of l' Assiette is AS GOOD as Foch downtown, and so I have to make a decision each time. In any case, BOTH are sitting in the first row of my own ranking. It's expensive ? well, IMHO they give you 110 cents of value for each Euro they charge you. There's one point more I feel like to stress: their quality is stable in time. May be they could make mistakes, but it never happened to me

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mario p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tinqueux
Chateau Les Crayeres
#1 of 69 in Reims
Centre Erlon-Est
Hotel Azur
Hotel Azur
#5 of 69 in Reims

Been to L'Assiette Champenoise? Share your experiences!